The Valentich disappearance

What happened to this guy? Did he die in less than ordinary circumstances or did he dissapear because of something else?

Some background,

*The Valentich disappearance describes an event on 21 October 1978 when 20-year-old Frederick Valentich disappeared in unknown circumstances while piloting a Cessna 182L light aircraft over Bass Strait, Australia. His intention was to land at King Island, pick up three or four friends there, and return to Moorabbin Airport.

During the 127 mile (235 km) private flight, Valentich advised Melbourne air traffic control he was being accompanied by an aircraft about 1,000 feet (300 m) above him. He described unusual actions and features of the aircraft, reported that his engine had begun running roughly, and finally reported before disappearing from radar that “That strange aircraft is hovering on top of me again. It is hovering and it’s not an aircraft”.

No trace of Valentich or his aircraft was ever found, and a Department of Transport investigation concluded that the reason for the disappearance could not be determined.

The report of a UFO sighting in Australia attracted significant press attention, in part due to the number of sightings reported by the public on that night*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqBbJemxmRI

He hallucinated and crashed his plane? Either that or aliens decided they needed advanced Cessna technology and beamed up him and his plane.

If he was in a moving aircraft, and the UFO was above him, it couldn’t very well have been hovering.

Same thing that always happens.

I think it was just a figure of speech.

When your OP consists almost entirely of a cut and paste from Wikipedia, shouldn’t you mention that and perhaps link to it? Link.

Guy hung up on UFOs reports his plane stalked by a UFO, then disappears.

I figure either 1) he Knew Too Much and was grabbed by aliens out to silence him, or 2) intentionally crashed his plane using a UFO cover to obscure his suicide, or 3) accidentally crashed his plane during a stunt intended to give legitimacy to UFOs.

It’s gotta be #1.

I’m not a UFO enthusiast, I’m a simple man out for the truth :stuck_out_tongue:

But seriously, I want to know the most likely reason why he would report such a thing and he dissapeared.

The most likely explanation for his unusual statement before disappearance would be that he did not make any such report, and those who claim he did are mistaken.

Otherwise, he misspoke or was otherwise mistaken about what he saw before he crashed.

I am currently at work and cannot view the linked Youtube video.

If explanations #s 1-3 are not satisfactory, here’s possibility #4: The pilot was mentally ill, imagined a UFO stalking his plane (or believed another aircraft in the distance was “hovering” over him), panicked and crashed his plane.

#5 do not fly if you have taken enough LSD to murder a horse.

Indeed Good Sir, and our late President, Mr. Thomas Jefferson, has Applied just the same indefatigable Logic to slash into ribbons the fanciful Notion (reported by uneducated Yankee rustics) that they had witnessed Stones falling from the very Skye! The very thought . . . It is indeed fortunate that we live in such an age of Enlightenment wherein we might rely on the lights of Science, and all that we already know to be True, before falling prey to the disquieting notions that would be Conjured otherwise by “Eye Witnesses,” so-called.

Okay Koxinga, so bring me soem evidence of the “aircraft” allegedly reported by the missing pilot. I am always willing to change or abandon a hypothesis when presented with more credible evidence, or a explanation that satisfies Ockham better than my current hypothesis.

Until then, in this case, I will continue to hold that human error in reporting or recollection is the most likely explanation for the reported observation.