"The Village": TV Commercial

Did I just see a commerical for M. Night Shyamalan’s “The Village” quoting Ebert as saying “One of the Year’s Best”? In his review he gave it one star. What’s going on here?

The commercial just aired on Cartoon Network at around 10:15 PM Central Time (the commerical break for Family Guy) and is one of those 15-second-quick-cut-show-three-quotes types.

Mods: Feel free to move this to Cafe Society if you see fit. I thought this sort fell in between categories.

The TV ad quoted “Ebert and Roper”. Roper (Roeper?) loved it, and did indeed say that it was one of the best movies of the year.

Yeah, the ad says that “Ebert and Roeper” called it one of the best movies of the year.

If you want to listen to audio of Ebert and Roeper discussing the film, go here and click on the relevant link.

The first voice you hear is Roeper’s. He obviously loves the film, and has nothing but nice things to say about it. Ebert comes in a little later an proceeds to pan it mercilessly. Roeper disagrees with him strongly. Then, right at the end, Roeper says “I think it’s one of the best movies i’ve seen this year.”

That’s obviously where the commercial got the line from.