The Walking Dead; 8.14 "Still Gotta Mean Something" (open spoilers)

Keep in mind Morgan’s crossover to FTWD happens before he hooks up with Rick and crew. FTWD’s timeline is only about 6-8 months after the apocalypse.

As to how Jadis knew the helicopter was coming, in the first shot of her minimalistic tiny house there was a walkie-talkie on a table. So my guess is she called them up on the radio. My guess is she’s military.

MtM

Before he ever meets Rick? That was pretty early on.

Yeah, how’s that going to work? He travels all the way to New Mexico from Atlanta after his son dies, then all the way back to DC to track Rick and the gang?

After he meets Rick for the first time but before Morgan hooks up with Rick in Alexandria. Actually probably after Rick met him the second time when Rick went to get all the guns (Morgan was unstable after the loss of his son).

Does anyone remember where Morgan learned his staff work at? When that guy from the Drew Carry show locked him up in the cell that wasn’t locked?

And who knows where the FTWD crew will end up this season. After the dam broke they could very well make their way towards Georgia.

Hmmm, I just checked the google. I found the article I read back in January that guessed the above timeline. But I found an article from February and it predicts (due to photographic evidence) Morgan will hook up with FTWD after this season. If that’s true then FTWD will have to do a pretty big time jump.

Sorry for the confusion!

MtM

I wonder if she called them to get Neegan.

So I’m calling it. Rick reading Carl’s letter makes him realize the error of his ways, he travels to Negan to deliver the letter for him, he too has his epiphany, and the final shit of this season is both of them ugly man-crying in each other’s arms.

ETA: That was supposed to say ‘shot’, but I think I’ll leave it like this…

I think this is a really good guess. They are building towards a ‘violence never solves anything’ epiphane, and the viewers will be expected to just accept Negan as a ‘good guy’. Maybe that’s why they had Rick be a murderous, treacherous scumbag - so that both can be reformed and we are forced to accept Negan if we accept Rick. The last two episode kind of felt like a Negan Redemption Arc starting…

Yeah, well, the Governor had one of those.

Yeah… And handled just as poorly as the rest of the show.

That’s my guess, also. She’s the Savior with the tattoo on her neck who shot Dwight after Dwight sabotaged the roadblock and the Alexandrians broke out. I don’t think Negan would have spoken so kindly to Gregory.

Dwight and Simone have got some ‘splain’ to do.

(post shortened)

In an earlier episode, Jadis had mentioned that when she had discovered the junk, it had just been scattered around, and there was a helicopter pad. Plus, a helicopter has been seen in several episodes flying near/over the junkyard. I assume that someone has been periodically checking on something stored/hidden at the junkyard.

In this episode, it looks like Jadis had built a signal fire that included Negan’s bat in order to signal the pilot. That wouldn’t be necessary if Jadis had radio contact with the chopper pilot. With little to no road traffic, or heavy machinery noise, it would be easy to hear a copter coming from a long way off.

The Talking Dead pointed out that the walker cart Jadis wheeled out was hinged, and the attached, bent-backwards walker could have been lowered onto a victim/Negan. Sort of a going away present.

I don’t remember a signal fire. She had a flare. I am assuming that the helicopter was either summoned with that walkie talkie (or else why have it sitting thete in an otherwise barren room?)

Also, it sure looks like Jadis had a shipping container house that was pretty impressive on the inside. Almost like she was planted there by someone with a lot of resources.

I think that we will find out that there is some connection between her and the helicopter people, and a bunch of serious stuff going on we have yet to hear about.

(post shortened)

The walkie talkie could have been for monitoring the Saviors communications, or for communications in, and around, the junkyard between other junkyard dogs.

What appeared to me to be a signal fire/stacked wood hadn’t been lit yet. Negan had taken a road flare and pistol from Jadis’s bugout bag. Negan used the flare to threaten Jadis’s pictures, and the pistol to threaten Jadis. He also said something about not burning his bat/Lucile.

Perhaps the flare called the helicopter before Jadis was ready for it.

My personal opinion is that the writers are making shit up as they go along.
“Wouldn’t a flare and a helicopter be cool?!”

The helicopter appeared when she expected it, as signaled by her beeping watch. Her plan seems to have been, wait for heli, light the fire in the wheelbarrow, get noticed and hopefully picked up.

So she has no means of direct communication with whoever flies the heli, but she knows its flight pattern, either from observation or by prior arrangement (although in the latter case, an open question would be why said arrangement didn’t include some more efficient way of communicating).

I did not hear the beeping, I’ll watch it again.
Thanks!

I thought the plan was to light the flare when the helicopter was above. She seemed really distraught when it went out in that puddle. And she ran to get another one and missed the helicopter.

Yeah that scene was very poorly filmed I thought. It was very difficult to understand what was going on. It wasn’t until nearly the end that you could see Lucile in the wheelbarrow with some other wood and something in the bottom of the wheelbarrow. Was that the salt Negan mentioned? He had a line “I can smell the salt.” Was that a reference to that or was it another way of saying I can smell the blood from where Jadis ground up all those people?

I was completely confused by the flare/fire stuff. The helicopter was 15 feet off the ground. It was bright daylight. It hovered there, apparently looking at them. A flare wasn’t remotely necesary.

i’m even more confused now that people are suggesting she called them and knew they were coming. So who needs to signal anything? Just talk on the radio!

If it was prearranged, why was she waiting where she was, nowhere near where a helicopter could land?

Other than that, this episode was more of the stupid writing that typifies this show, covering the same topics, poorly, that they have covered a thousand times before.