The Way Movies are Meant to be Seen

Just curious as to what opinions anyone might have on this policy just adopted by a Kansas City movie theatre?? Anyone else have theatres with similar policies??

No Kids Allowed

I hate to say it because I was a teenager once, too, but this is a great idea.

Or, I should have said “No Kids Without Parents Allowed” to be more accurate.

While it may be how movies are meant to be seen, it seems to me like the theater manager doesn’t care a flying flip about the cinematic integrity of the films they show; they just don’t like kids.

If you don’t want people socializing around your theater, why don’t you just not build a huge lobby?

I think that policy is fantastic–I’d love it if the theater complex around here would do that.

Heh, then the cinemas wouldn’t rake in the dosh. I mean, how’d they function without stupid teens viewing tripe like “2 Fast 2 Furious” again and again?

Welcome aboard, John Mullets.

Most theatres make their moneys from the concession stands, arcade games, not from showing movies. The idea from the OP seems like a gimmick, trying to pull in the older crowds. Betcha it won’t work. Betcha they’re back to business as usual within a few months.

Anyone caught giggling, rustling sweet rappers, or not paying attention to the film will be shot on sight.

Talking aloud is punishable by prolonged exposure to Chris Evans.

It really seems like a bad idea to discriminate against the majority of your audience. I know the majority of parents don’t go with their teens to see movies, because the majority of movies that draw teens suck. I think kids under the age of ten, though, shouldn’t be walking around the theater without parents though. That bit makes sense.

It sounds like a really bad idea for a big theater. A small theater may be able to get away with it, and make itself rather popular, but a huge megaplex is really just going to lose out on a LOT of money. I’ve worked at a movie theater for a couple of winters, and teens really do cause problems, and I hate hate HATE going into a rated-R horror flick and ending up sitting next to a couple with three kids under the age of ten, so I like the concept. I just don’t think it’s going to go well for the huge place.

Any news on how well the one in New York is doing?

From the article:

I know this was true when I was working in a theater. Kids would show up with money for one ticket, and MAYBE a small soda, and spend all day in the place, hopping from one showing room to the next. We had quite a vandalism problem with the unsupervised kids, and of course they made a lot of noise, too.

A movie theater is NOT a hangout for penniless kids, or adults, for that matter. Neither is a store.

Must contend with??? What’s this moronitude? They build the arcades and then complain when kids use them? Wow. THEN STOP BUILDING THEM!

You know, I probably see more movies now than I did at 16. But this is just stupid in my opinion. There’s a much less complicated solution to the alleged “problem,” but the theatre wants to have it both ways.
On another level, I’m thinking “Force teens to spend more time with their parents. Great. That’ll make everybody happy.” :rolleyes:

I guess they’re hoping the kids will see more movies with a parent, meaning a two-for-one sales increase. But I imagine they’ll go elsewhere if they can. Kicking out the majority of your audience? Smooth. Here’s hoping these dopes are out of business by next month.

I can understand that some teenagers may be rowdy and ruin other’s experience at a movie, but is it really just to punish them all?

Also, I think many disney movie’s are targeted to 4-8 year olds, which hacks down on ticket sales for those theatres.

I think this will only hurt revenue instead of helping it…

I think its a good idea. Every town should have at least one theatre like this which takes its audience enjoyment into consideration. There likely will be many many adults rallying behind a theatre that bans children and teens. Its ageism unfortunately; but if I can watch my movie without hearing a little kid bawling at Neo trying to have bad sex with Trinity, then it will be worth it.

Many towns do, but the theaters are in the rougher neighborhoods and the seats are sticky.

There’s just no substitute for common sense.

Actually, I love to attend that theater, it really is the nicest in town, but it does have a huge problem with loitering, worse even than the other theaters. Its somehow more intimidating at thise one, they just seem older. I dunno, I will be more likely to go there now, thats for sure.

As much as all the “grown ups” hate to admit it, teenagers contribute a large part to the economy. While I’m past the age this movie theatre is discriminating(?) against, I certainly feel for the kids. It wasn’t too long ago when I’d rather eat slugs than to go to the movies with my parents. Despite the

statement from the manager, they’ll lose business from playing movies that were targeted towards teens.

Then again, every problem that arised from a solution also has a solution. Either the movie theatre stops playing teen/children movies and appeal only to adults or the teens find another movie theatre that welcomes the youth. It’s not my problem anyhow, even if I lived there.

There should be a ‘panic button’ for people that don’t know how to keep their mouth shut. Press it and an usher with a flashlight hastens into the theatre and drags them out (clubs if necessary). Bravo!

Oh how I wish my local theatre would adopt this policy. I’d maybe reduce the age to about 5, though.

I think the “no 16 year olds without parents” thing is a bit extreme, only because by that age, many moviegoers have learned that movie time should be synonymous with “shut the fuck up time” and aren’t a problem. Reducing the age to 12 might be a better step.

Of course, movie ettiquette will never be safe until civilized patrons are allowed to carry around sleeping gas pellets and use them on the neanderthals who can’t sit still for an hour and a half without having a talking/wrapper crinkling/cell phone party. Now there’s a theatre I’d patronize.