The Weight Loss Thread

Based on other threads here it appears that many of us are on some sort of weight loss program. I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we can go to post our accomplishments and give support to each other.

If you want you can post how many pounds you have lost here. I want to stress that this is not a contest. Some people will lose weight faster than others based on the program they are following. This is a thread to say “way to go!” or “keep it up” to each other.

I’ll start. Based on 2,000 calories a day and a resistance and cardiovascular program I have lost 16 pounds and 2% body fat since Jan. 8. My next official weigh in is on March 4. I don’t expect my weight to change much by then, but I hope to lose another 2% body fat.

Based on two miles a day on a treadmill, intermittent weight training and an overall reduction in caloric intake with no specific caloric limit, I’ve lost 105 pounds since Nov 2001.

By cutting my daily caloric intake from 3500 to 1500-2000, and adding walking/biking/weight lifting 3 or 4 times a week, I lost 45 pounds in 4 months. The winter has slowed me down though, hopefully I can get motived to lost 10 more pounds to reach my ideal body weight this year!

I’ve lost between 25 and 35 pounds in the last 5 - 6 months by just getting active and drastically cutting down my beer intake.

I’ve lost 12lb and 5% body fat (according to my scales, which are impedance based, and therefore not as accurate as displacement for measuring body fat) since the start of this year. I’ve lost 2 inches off my waist and nearly 3 off my hips.

My calorie intake is about 1500 a day. I eat 5 times a day. I’ve cut out milk chocolate, cut right down on alcohol, and I’ve switched to wholemeal bread, pasta and couscous. I do 20-30 minutes exercise 6 days a week. Every other day I do high intensity intervals. For a couple of weeks, I’ve been trying to do resistance exercise on the other days - for the first few weeks I had a cast on my wrist, so couldn’t lift weights. I’m starting to enjoy the lifting.

I’m loosley following the Zone diet, in that I don’t eat pasta, bread, or other starchy carbs at home. Instead, I’m eating lots of fruits and veggies, and some protein at each meal. I’ve been off my regular workout routine for about 4 weeks now, but have still lost about 7 pounds. I expect to lose another 10 by May, assuming I can resume my cardio and resistance training routine 3-5 times per week.

I want to go on a juice fast–just drink liquids two days a week. Ya think Hawaiian Punch and Tang is the way to go?

I’ve cut down a lot on the fried, greasy foods and learned that there are lots of interesting things you can do with vegetables to make good sidedishes or main courses (although it’ll be a while before I do a week of vegetarian quesadillas again). I’ve also become more active; I started lifting some dumbbells nearly every evening. In the future, I hope to start walking again (maybe jogging when I drop enough weight). I’m also considering the Atkins Diet, but I don’t know enough about it to dedicate myself to it yet.

Since I started my weight-loss efforts, I’ve dropped a pants size. I’d tell you how much weight I’ve lost, but I don’t have a scale. I may need to go sneak into the hospital soon and play on one of theirs for a couple minutes.

I’m not on a diet, and you guys are really motivating me. Good job to all.

I’m in need to lose 15-20 lbs, so after I heal from my knee surgery and can start exercising, maybe I’ll be able to post my own success along with all of yours.

Okay, as stated in previous threads, I’ve given up simple carbs completely (complete abstinence is vital for me, cuz I’m a sugar junkie, and white flour, etc. trigger my cravings. Once I start on the refined sugars, all is lost, but more is gained). I started the first of this year, and have lost 23 lbs. and three inches off my waist. I’m also working out (cardio and resistance) three times per week, and drinking an insane amount of water.

You also tend to lose faster if you’re truly obese to begin with, as I am.

Great job, everyone!

This thread is a great idea. I lost 150 pounds, regained 20 and have held that weight without struggle for a year now. I had a gastric by-pass on “Fat Tuesday” of 1998. I refer to the “entire person” that I lost as “Chuck.” :slight_smile:

I do need to start exercising – particularly walking.

I commend those of you who are able to lose weight through watching your diet. Let’s all get healthy together!!

I’ve lost 40 pounds. Haven’t really changed my diet much, but I’ve been excersizing like mad. In October of '01 I was 229 pounds, and I just hit 189 a couple weeks ago. And that’s pretty much what I was aiming for, so now I can do a bit of fine tuning. I’ve been thinking of taking up tennis.

I lost 60 pounds on Weight Watchers - am about to hit a year at goal. Although I am thin (some people think a little too thin), I need to get off my butt and exercise. It’s not the fat - it’s the droop. Time to buy some hand weights and use them while watching TV - get back to the gym - anything to get in shape!

Susan

We joined a health club in January.

My kids, sensing our attention and devotion would not be completely on them, have decided to be nearly continouslysick since mid to late January. We have never had such a bad streak of health ever.

I think it is the Fates telling me to stop working out and eat more chocolate. :smiley:

I’ve lost 16 lbs over the last year or so. I know that doesn’t sound like a lot, but I wasn’t technically overweight to start with, just not particularly happy with my body (I weighed 147 lbs, which, at 5’5", is at the upper end of the healthy weight range). I’d like to lose another 5 lbs., just so I can look kickass in a bathing suit this summer. I just started entering my food intake at fitday.com, which has opened my eyes to a serious diet problem - on a normal day, I only take in about 1000 calories. The reason I’m not a freaky waif is that to make up for starving myself, I’ll proceed to eat a bunch of cookies. I had no idea there were such deficiencies in my diet, and I’m a little freaked by this. I’m trying to drastically increase my protein intake. I’m a vegetarian, so this is a challenge. I see lots and lots of cottage cheese in my future. (Fortunately, I like cottage cheese.)

I started Atkins on Jan 6th and I’ve lost 35lbs so far. I’ve allowed my self a few treats (cheats) but so far so good!

I’ve been eating a lot more chicken breast burgers, and eating lettuce-turkey-cheese-fat-free-dressing salads.

Now I need to actually get some exercise. I think I’m going to be emptying my storage locker, and in there is my Total Gym, which I could even just keep in my bedroom.

I really need to do this. I promised someone that I would start exercising, and this is the cheap way to do it.

Down 32 kg (71 lbs) since May last year on the Light-n-Easy diet plan and exercise. And that’s not taking it massively seriously. I’m getting back on the strict adherance thing this week.

Uh, does the juice fast idea work? Cause I am so black and white, it’s like- a ton of food, or no food. I’d rather not end up with an eating disorder… ya know? I’m now 5’6 and a size 14, in womens. I’ve stashed away 200 lbs somewhere in here. I definately need to change this. Instead of being just " big boned’’ and looking cute in stuff 30 lbs ago ( I swear! I swear I looked decent at 170!) I now just look chunky. HELP! I’ve tried weightwatchers but I didn’t like it, and I don’t have enough $$ for preplanned food diets!

Another WW person checking in. I’ve lost 73 pounds since last July. I still have another 15-20 to go before I hit goal.

Zev Steinhardt