The what discworld/Pratchett have you read thread.. and some recommend reqs thrown in

Discworld books I’ve read…

Monstrous Regiment
Night Watch
Thief of Time
The Truth
The Fifth Elephant
Jingo
Hogfather
Feet of Clay
Soul Music
Men At Arms
Small Gods
Reaper Man
Moving Pictures (nf)
Guards Guards
Pyramids
Mort
The Colour of Magic (nf)

Non-Discworld I’ve read

Good Omens
Wee Free Men (nf)

[sub]nf= Not Finished.[/sub]

Discworld books I haven’t read

Carpe Jugulum
The Last Continent
Maskerade
Interesting Times
Lords And Ladies
Witches Abroad
Eric
Wyrd Sisters
Sourcery
Equal Rites
The Light Fantastic
So, Taking into consideration the books I have read, and the fact that I tend to prefer books about the city watch and Samuel Vimes, but have been known to enjoy others… which of the books I haven’t read would the discworld fanatics of this fine board recommend?

Feel free to list the ones you have and haven’t read… with a request for a recommendation.
P.S. If I missed any out from the discworld (the list seems too short) let me know. I got the list from the front of ‘Monstrous Regiment’

I haven’t read any. But I was looking at a friends bookshelf last week, and decided I should. Where should I start?

Some might disagree… but in my experience TP got better as the series went along.

The reason I put ‘tp’ next to ‘Colour of Magic’ (his first Discworld book) was because I wasn’t enjoying reading it.

So I would reccomend you start with anything after his first few books. And if you want a specific recommendation It is ‘Night Watch’. That book gave me an interest in the city watch and led me to seek out the other books about the watch. The beauty of Nightwatch is that it can easily be read before any of the other watch books even though it is the most recent.

Are you kidding? All of them, of course! Of the ones you listed, Carpe Jugulum is my personal favorite. Eric and TLC are probably the least-wonderful, but still very enjoyable. Read 'em all; it’s best to try to read them in order, but not absolutely necessary.

Also, the YA novels, Wee Free Men, and its sequel Hat Full of Sky actually are Discworld books. So is The Amazing Maurice, though the Discworldness is less obvious there. HFoS is the only one I haven’t read yet.

The fact that you haven’t touched the Witches books is practically criminal given the scope of the rest that you’ve read. Skip Equal Rites (if you’ve been following along with the discussions I posted a little while ago quite a bit about why I dislike that one a lot) and read Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, and Lords and Ladies. They’re a lot more… literary than other books in the series (except maybe The Colour of Magic which is all pretty much parodies of various books). The first two especially effectively drop Discworld witches into stories that are familiar with some very entertaining results (Macbeth and just about every fairy tale you can think of respectively).

For Alan Smithee, I recommend starting with Guards, Guards simply because it is the beginning of the most approachable Discworld series. It then progresses to Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, and Night Watch. Night Watch is among the absolute best Discworld novels but it lacks quite a bit of punch if you haven’t read the previous books.

I’ve read:
Monstrous Regiment
Night Watch
The Truth
The Fifth Elephant
Jingo
Hogfather
Feet of Clay
Soul Music
Men At Arms
Small Gods
Reaper Man
Moving Pictures
Guards Guards
Pyramids
Mort
The Colour of Magic
Good Omens
The Last Continent
Maskerade
Interesting Times
Lords And Ladies
Witches Abroad
Eric
Wyrd Sisters
Sourcery
Equal Rites
The Light Fantastic

I think I missed:
Thief of Time
Carpe Jugulum

Also read:
Strata

I’ve read all the Discworld books, including the “kids” books (Wee Free Men and the one with the talking cat and mice).

Non-Discworld books by TP that I’ve read:

Good Omens
Johnny and the Bomb
Johnny and the Dead
Only You Can Save Mankind
The Carpet People

The only ones that I’ve never read are the Science of Discworld books

I also agree with the advise that if you’ve never read any Discworld book, don’t start with the first three. I did and I stopped reading TP for years. I suggest picking up Wyrd Sisters. Guards! Guards! or Pyramids first.

Read: all of them

Recommend: all of them

Honestly, I haven’t read one I haven’t enjoyed, though I seem to be in the minority there. People seem to tend to have wildly differing and violently intensely held preferences.

So I guess I’m not much help here.

I’ll just wander off then.

I have read:

All the ‘adult’ Discworld books. Most of them two or three times. Currently re-reading **Equal Rites ** to see if I have anything to contribute to the reading group :slight_smile:

Also Strata, **Good Omens ** and the “Science of” books.

Recommended? Anything after the first couple of books (and skip Eric). I like the Witches and the Watch and the Wiz(z)ards so my recommended list would be rather long. DataZak’s short list is good. Like Some Guy said, for anyone new to Discworld, Night Watch isn’t the best introduction to Vimes and the Watch, it’s quite dark and is probably more enjoyable if you know some background (about the Patrician for example).

Lobsang What have you got against the Witches? Get stuck in man. See Magrat fight elves, meet Granny’s evil sister, Greebo meets his match. what are you waiting for?

One you missed: Going Postal

Read:
All Discworld books/stories except “All the sea and Little Fishes”, I think it’s called, and except Science of the Discworld III, as it’s not out here yet.
This includes “Theatre of Cruelty” (in “Wizards of Odd” compilation), and “Last Hero”, but excludes various diaries, companions, “art of…” and the Nanny Ogg cookbook. I do have the “Tourist Guide to Lancre”, “Streets of Ankh-Morpork” and “Death’s Doman” maps too.

Non-Discworld: All , including “Troll Bridge” from “After the King” and “Turntables of the Night” (from “Flying Sorcerors” compilation), which does involve DEATH but is set in more-or-less the real world.

I recommend all of them, but my particular faves include Good Omens, Johnny and the Dead, Night Watch, The Tiffany Aching stories and Amazing Murice. Oh, and Hogfather, 'cos mine is signed with the “Ho Ho Ho” sig.
And the SF ones (“Strata”, “Dark Side of the Sun”) hold a nostalgic place in my heart. Also, the Nomes Bromeliad.

Just to add:
I think people miss a lot in only reading the “Adult” books. TAMaHER, WFM and HFoS are some of his best work ever. And the “Truckers-Diggers-Wings” trilogy is great too.

Try and get the Cosgrove-Hall series of Truckers, it’s rather good.

Oh, and I forgot the plays…Wyrd Sisters works really well as play, Masquerade was OK too but needed a stronger vocal talent…

Why don’t you join our reading club?

You mean like here?

I’m sure some of the participants here are following along, but I also think some people are waiting for the earlier books to get out of the way before diving into discussion. I know I was.

I’ve read everything PTerry has ever published, more than twice. Favorites are the Watch series, anything with Nanny Ogg in it, and Good Omens. My goal is to get every Disc book in a signed First-Edition for my library. I’m about 40% there. :smiley:

Short answer: read all of them.

Long answer: The first few books are not that good, but they don’t take that long to read and will help you appreciate how good the later ones are.

Alan Smithee all the books are good, but to avoid confusion you should start at the beginning of one of the storylines: Mort, Guards Guards, Wyrd Sisters, or Interesting Times(I know, the last two aren’t technically the beginnings, but IMHO its where they start to get really interesting). There are also the stand-alone books like Moving Pictures, Small Gods,and the Truth.

Read: all Discworld novels, “adult” and “kid”, except Going Postal, since I’m desperately waiting for it to come out in paperback (hopefully, one day it will); the Johnny series; Strata; Good Omens, which got me to reading more Gaiman.

Haven’t read: The Truckers-Diggers-Wings trilogy; the Science of books; other “add-in” books like those map thingys of Death’s domain.

Recommend: Everything, basically, although Eric is the one I got the least out of. I enjoy the Watch and the witches equally. Pyramids was also really good, even if it didn’t have any of the usual characters. Soul Music and Maskerade are my favorites, because of the musical references.

All of them, but I feel that the most recent books have gone downhill a lot. He’s running out of ideas.

Reaper Man is superb.

I think for people new to the Discworld, Guards, Guards is a good starting point - it gets you used to AnkhMorpork and the way of life on the Discworld, and has a great, universal story-line to provide interest.

My personal faves are Jingo - particularly in the current political climate - Lords and Ladies for the more “mystical” aspect to Pterry’s world; Maskerade almost stands on its own as a great murder-mystery story (ie. not much prior reading required).

Small Gods is likewise a self-contained narrative with some laugh-out-loud moments and fantastic discussions of philiosphy and religion. It says something for a book that it can please both fundies and die-hard athiests - each group convinced it speaks their point-of-view!

Sierra, I’d agree with you after reading The Fifth Elephant, The Truth, and Thief of Time which I thought were weaker efforts, but then Pratchett did Night Watch which I would considder my favorite Discworld novel (but it’s not a good starting place).

I’ll speak against the crowd and say I hated the Witches series. I’ve only read the first couple. And the Death series was great until Susan showed up.

I do recommend Interesting Times. Last Continent wasn’t as great, but still pretty good. Monstrous Regiment had some good moments. And Going Postal was phenomenal, I loved it.