"The world's your oyster" - huh?

Besides “One Night in Bangkok,” anyone know the origins behind this phrase?

I assume it has something to do with finding pearls, or having a delicious mollusk to suck down.

I was having a heart to heart with my brother, and I’m one of those annoying people who like to say a maxim or phrase and then translate it into plain English to emphasize my point, and ended up trailing off and BS-ing my way through that one. :rolleyes:

Any thoughts?

Probably comes from Shakespeare:

For the rest of your post: what’s the point of resaying a saying in plain English? Isn’t the entire point of a saying that it concentrates the essence, the flavor, the piquancy of what you want to convey far better than the plain words would?

There’s no point to my reiterating in plain English, it’s just a habit that I noticed I do. On occasion, I’ll pull a somewhat obscure maxim from my inner vault and get a blank stare and end up having to describe it. With my brother, it kind of fit the situation. I don’t do it all the time, but I do notice I do it, and am working to stop!

From here:

Awesome! Thanks guys!

I would have said something along the same lines, as a WAG - not necessarily that opening an oyster is easy, but that it’s got good stuff inside (the pearl and/or the shellfish, as you please :smiley: ) and it’s ‘there for you to take it.’

Only in months with R, or you might not like what you get.

:confused:

How does that work? Would you say to someone, “Love is blind” and then add “which is to say, ‘people fall in love with ugly people, too’”?

I’ve eaten oysters in July - they were very nice.