The Worst Weirdest Film

Gummo, about a strange town that never fully recovered from a tornado. I kept hearing how bad it was, but when I saw it myself, I thought it wasn’t that bad. Thinking about it some more, yeah, it was pretty bad. Using nihilism as a theme is risky and the writer/director couldn’t pull it off.

That’d be Xenia, OH, IIRC. It’s the hick town* just east of Beavercreek, OH, the town where I spent 12 of my most formative years. Not much to do in Xenia, and it’s a bit too far from Dayton or any of the malls for most teenagers to readily enjoy the more cosmopolitan pursuits of suburban life. Haven’t seen Gummo, but from what I’ve heard it sounds pretty accurate.

*my personal knowledge of Xenia ends in 1996. I’ve just projected it into today.

ETA: Just want to disambiguate that I lived in B’Creek, not Xenia.

“Plot” or “characterization” WHAT by “symbolism”? I assume you mean “are represented” or “get overtaken”, but I must know!

Also, in order to not make this a complete hijack, I nominate Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Which is easily the worst of their movies.

Well, it’s not a movie but if you watch an episode of Reign: The Conqueror you’ll swear it’s three hours long.

It’s anime. About Alexander the Conqueror. And giant robots. Amazingly, it sucks. Me and my friends used to watch it every week because we just couldn’t believe it was as bad as we remembered, and lo and behold, it would be EVEN WORSE. Everyone wears leather bondage gear, except for the villain Darius, who wears a sweater with a thong. One half of him is either going to be very hot – or very cold.

Cemetary Man. I’ve sat through the film twice. I want to like it – I really do, especially since it’s a comedic zombie flick. But…I just can’t. There’s something fundamentally wrong with it that I can’t put my finger on.

It’s got “weird” down cold, though.

Replaced, actually, but close enough. That tends to happen to me when I my comments to change phrasing four or five times.

I liked Cemetery Man (originally Del Amorte Del Amore).

To sum up- The cartetaker of a local cemetery has problems- the dead he buries sometimes rise again, he keeps finding and losing the woman he loves, he can’t seem to get the credit for the murders he commits, and he feels stuck in a small town. I would not characterize it as comedic although some bits of it are.

Castaway with Tom Hanks.

Roughly 2 hours of talking to a volleyball…what a load of bollox

Joe Versus the Volcano!

Don’t Go Near The Park. 5 word review - Don’t Go Near This Movie.

I’m not sure why this was ever banned, but I bet the people involved in making it didn’t make much of a fuss, once they had seen the finished product. Is it weird? I thought so. Is it terrible? Definitely. Here’s what the only imdb reviewer thought.

Certainly not a laugh-out-loud comedy most of the time, and it the overall theme is fairly dark, but it seems like a lot of the elements are designed to make you laugh.

I was introduced to it by a friend who adores the film, so I certainly don’t hold anything against you for liking it as well. It’s just that, to me, after repeated viewing and analysis, I wind up with a thumbs down.

My God, I just found out about THIS- anyone here see “Live Freaky, Die Freaky”- a puppet show about Helter Skelter?