Theatre etiquette: Turn Off The G-d D-mned Cellphones!!!!

1. Going barefoot to the movie theatre is weird. Really, barefoot? I worked in a movie theatre once. I know how often we cleaned it. Not very. And people are always spilling drinks and what-not. But I thought he meant sandals.

2. Wearing sandals/slippers to a movie theatre is perfectly cool, but if your feet stink to high heaven in sandals, chances are you should do something for your feet. Sounds like fungus. I wear sandals all the time and my feet never smell and I’ve asked people. Sandals should air your feet out, actually.

3. Texting or even playing with your stupid cell phone in the movie is rude. That light is really bright and will distract you from the movie. I sat near someone who was doing it, I remember how annoying it was. Think about it - you’re in near-darkness, except for the movie, and then someone starts shining a bright light near you. Plus it takes you out of the experience.

4. Talking is rude, too. Whispering so no one can hear you except for the person you’re whispering to is perfectly fine. Why hasn’t anyone heard of whispering anymore? Talking at normal volume is unutterably rude.

I will certainly excuse kids in kids’ movies. But kids in adult movies? Nope. And adults should know better.

They ain’t my favorite, either. Normally I walk up to where they are sitting and politely ask them to shut the phones off; if they refuse or hesitate, I tell them that they’ll be thrown out if they don’t comply. Although, I admit, there’ve been at least two times that I’ve simply thrown used napkins at 'em and said, aloud, “Turn the goddamn phone off!”

These ‘fireflies’ (not a bad name, actually–although, better than what they deserve) don’t even have to be sitting close to you. There’ve been times when I’m all the way up and in the back (stadium seating), and someone’s sitting in front pecking away on his device. It’s a competing light source, and my eyes are naturally drawn toward it. I suppose I just don’t understand why someone would pay for a movie–especially since the average price around here, even for students, is $6.50 and up–and intentionally not watch the movie.

Could the wholesale, ubiquitous embrace of the home theatre experience have come as a surprise to anyone? Stories like this suggest it twern’t all because of the technology.

No, no NO! Not in their laps.

All over the expensive electronic cell phone device. Any that happens to get onto their laps is just an extra benefit.

Movie theatres vs the cell phone industry. If theatre owners had better lobbyists cell phone blockers would be standard in every movie theatre in America. As it stands all they can do line is their lead with walls.

Well, I never wrote in the pit before, so here it goes.

I go barefoot. A lot - - like everyday, even on campus. I often carry a pair of sandals in my bag, but man, they aren’t half as comfortable. I live in an area that kinda views it as “guys wear boots, jeans, and a t-shirt” but I hate boots and love my feet. It just feels so good to walk out in the warm and play ball on the grass in by the U.C. - but I went to the movies recently (by recently I mean 2 times in the past 3 years) and I would never go there barefoot. Maybe it’s just me, but movie theaters are prolly the grossest place (other than random slug buckets) that I can think of stepping through.

Also, it makes me mad as well when people are using cellphones during the movie. Theatre’s and some concerts included. I go to a coffeehouse to listen to musicians, it can only hold 30 people in the “music room” and damnit, after that, they lock people out till someone leaves. my issue isn’t with people who answer, say "yeah, we’re watching “Racecar*” " and then off the phone, but why sit in there and talk. Same with a theatre(er)…why pay 6 - 8.50 for a movie to sit in it and talk. If you want to do that, go to the pub, or a party, there are always people out in this town, so damnit, go somewhere that I’m not.

• Racecar was a short-lived band that my HS math teacher was in…they had a full name, but I forget it, so I pit my memory, since it is so lax.