There's a remake of Plan 9 From Outer Space?

Why am I always the last to know? :smack:

This is acceptable only if they use every word of the original’s dialogue, verbatim.

An aging has-been movie star must die during the filming, and be replaced by an amateur who bears no resemblance whatsoever.

Wha…?!? :eek:

How? WHY??? :smack: :dubious: :confused: :confused: :confused:

A trailer for it was released back in 2009, so… maybe you heard about it and long forgot.

I know, I know. It spoils our cultural icons when some presumptuous upstart director dares to remake a cherished classic. What’s next, Quentin Tarantino’s Citizen Kane?!

And why not Glen or Glenda?

With the CGI that’s available now, they could really do a KILLER remake of Robot Monster

Seriously, though, if you haven’t seen it, I recommend Hardware Wars — The Special Edition. It was made without original director Ernie Fosselius’ approval (or, I suspect, his knowledge), but it should have been, because it’s hilarious.

When George re-released his original Star Wars with new CGI scenes, someone dusted off Fosselius’ ultra-low-budget quickly made parody Hardware Wars and added CGI scenes to IT. In keeping with the style of the original Hardware Wars the CGI scenes are quickly and sloppily made. As with Lucas’ film, although they look cool, they really add nothing to the story, which is pretty much the point.

CGI billion bubbles? Heresy!

No, no, no, it’s perfect!
You can make those bubbles go wherever you want, rather than being subject to the whims of the breeze. You can direct them to exactly where you want them to go, just like that feather at the beginning of Forrest Gump.
All you have to do is RECALCULATE!

Imagine a can of gasoline is your Sun. Streaming out from the Sun are millions of tiny atoms… :eek:

But, see, with a Big bUdget a modern filmmmaker can actually afford a can of gasoline, and can SHOW you how it gets set on fire!

You see?? You SEE?? Your stupid minds!!

I’d totally watch that. Especially if it reunited Travolta, Jackson, and Thurman.

It seems so pointless. The charm of the original lay in its spontaneity, cheapness, the death of its star, the need to work around it, and the sublime genius of Dudley Manlove.

There’s no way they can duplicate any of this, nor improve upon it. Leave the classics alone!

I think it’s supposed to be the film Ed Wood really wanted to make. Looks like it has very high production values, but it’s just another zombie movie, which made me think–* Plan 9* is the original zombie movie. It actually came before Night of the Living Dead. And didn’t Wood want to call it Zombies from Outer Space, but the church wouldn’t let him?

Yes, I realize Val Lewton’s I Walked with a Zombie is technically the first Zombie movie, but that movie doesn’t belong to the “undead rising from graves” genre, it belongs to a B-movie genre about Voodoo and hypnotic control that was a huge fad in the 1950s. Lots of matinee length films, but not so many full-length films, which is why you don’t see them much now.

No…Grave Robbers from Outer Space, I think.

Grave Robbers from Outer Space, I believe. This is an interesting perspective; I’ve never thought of Plan 9 as a zombie movie in the modern sense, as the risen dead are for the most part under the aliens’ control, and don’t swarm about attempting to eat human flesh–which to me is probably the defining characteristic of what we call “a zombie movie” today. Plan 9 is so goofy, that the dead returning to life is really something of an odd diversion from the main storyline of alien invasion.

Nah. The Halperin Brothers’ White Zombie, starring Bela Lugosi, was released in 1932, and can reasonably claim to be the first zombie movie. There were also Revolt of the Zombies in 1936, and King of the Zombies in 1941, both pre-dating Lewton’s film. There’s also, if you want to count it, the Bob Hope comedy The Ghost Breakers. Of course, all of those deal with zombies created by voodoo, which, as you say, is really such a different type of film than the “swarms of undead mindlessly attack the living” genre, that I really kind of wish we had a different name for them. Although both types of creature are called “zombies,” they don’t really have that much in common. The story beats of a voodoo zombie movie are very different from those of a Romero-type zombie movie.

As for the trailer, it does look a lot like a typical “the dead return and feast on the living” zombie film, which are a dime a dozen right now, and which really has nothing to do with the zany charm that makes Plan 9 what it is.

Saaay, I don’t have to listen to this! :mad:

It should be an actor associated with vampire roles, but Christopher Lee died last year . . . I nominate Harrison Ford (why not, he’ll never do another SW or IJ flick), and the director’s wife’s chiropractor.