They call them pillage ants. Anybody know about slave-keeping ants?

I just read about a newly discovered species called Temnothorax pilagens.
It apparently is a slave-keeping ant. It raids hollowed-out acorns that are used as shelter by other ants, and takes them prisoner. This species also pillages the pupae to take back to their own nest to be raised as there own.
They call them pillage ants.
Temnothorax pilagens coming to a woodland near you, to enslave other ants in their Acorn Castles!
<add roaring sound here>

No … really. Look here: http://www.livescience.com/42466-castle-raiding-pillage-ant.html

So, my question is: Has anyone else ever heard about slave-keeping ants? Did I just miss this a couple of decades ago? I thought humans were the only slave-keeping species.

Yep slaver(?) ants are well known, it’s a behaviour that has evolved independently in ants several times are the different species are distributed far and wide.

This isn’t anything terribly new. Amazon Ant

Thanks, y’all. Ignorance fought.

Fascinating behavior.

Why do the enslaved ants go along with it? What’s stopping them from staging a coup and rising up against their ant overlords?

You may be interested in Brood parasites http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brood_parasite which this from the description seems to be one.

How would they know that they’re a different species from their masters?

Ants generally recognize other individuals as being from the same colony, or of the same species, by smell. Slave-making ants co-opt this system to make their victims think they are the same species. As it says in the article linked to in the OP:

Especially in the case of pupae robbed from their home nest, the young slave ants will never have known life in a colony of their own species. They don’t know they are slaves. After all, for a worker their life isn’t much different than it would have been in their original colony. They are just working for the benefit of a colony of a different species.

I remember reading about a type of ant that keeps another variety of small bug that they milk for a substance the other exudes, as one keeps a cow.

Aphids are the cows. It is more than one type of ant that keep them.

Yes, in the spring the ants take the aphids up into the bushes and trees. The aphids suck the juices of the host plant, and they excrete a clear, sweet, sticky goop. We humans call it honeydew. The ants continuously troop up and down the trunk, gathering the honeydew and taking it back to the nest.

They don’t get it all, and the part they miss lands on your car. You call it tree sap; that’s true, but only after the sap has passed through the aphid.

In the late fall, the ants take the eggs or early forms of the aphids underground for the winter.

Some kinds of ants keep mealybugs or scale insects as well.

Im pretty sure we have a local bird species that does some kidnapping/slave keeping. I will do some research and come back

A number of birds, including some cuckoos and cowbirds, are nest parasites in that they lay their eggs in the nests of other species to be raised. However, this is kind of the opposite of what the ants do. (The birds have their young raised by other adults, whereas the ants steal larvae to take care of themselves.)

QUOTE=Colibri;17016921]A number of birds, including some cuckoos and cowbirds, are nest parasites in that they lay their eggs in the nests of other species to be raised. However, this is kind of the opposite of what the ants do. (The birds have their young raised by other adults, whereas the ants steal larvae to take care of themselves.)
[/QUOTE]

We have thses everywhere:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-winged_Chough