They wear gold polos emblazoned with "Wolf Pack"; what and who are they?

Besides the fact that they’re an organization of some kind called Wolf Pack, of course.

OK. So I was in the local Starbucks yesterday, local being east side Escondido. I heard a man come in and introduce himself to a woman seated at the next table, and being engrossed in a crossword I assume it’s a sort of very casual blind date. I pay no further attention, not noticing when another man arrives but overhearing later that they are both interviewing the woman. Or rather, the first man is mainly doing the interviewing while the second one is taking notes and interjecting comments and assents from time to time.

I couldn’t hear any specifics and I didn’t really want to eavesdrop. At the same time, though, I began to ask myself if I’d like to be interviewed for a job in such a public place, and quickly answered back that I wouldn’t. And it didn’t seem 100% considerate or appropriate. One can’t help being distracted by a job interview going on within earshot.

And as I left, I saw the three for the first time. All of them seemed to be fairly or quite young, from just out of college to about the early thirties, and the two men looked quite conservative in short traditional haircuts, polos, and khakis. If we assume it was a regular job interview–which I’m not sure it was–some conservatism in appearance is understandable. Yet even in that case it seems over the top for a Saturday. If it wasn’t a job interview but more like some kind of other hierarchical organization or association, it seems even more over the top.

And one of the guys was wearing a gold-colored polo with the legend “Wolf Pack”. OK, so the name wasn’t really in Comic Sans, but that was as close as I could get to the cursive style on the shirt. And it was definitely styled as two separate words.
So far I haven’t found anything online, either in Wikipedia or with any of the most likely first guesses as to what their URL would be.

So what the heck is Wolf Pack? An Amway type sales organization? Some sort of religious outfit devoted to charity or missionary work? Or some other kind of social service outfit? The name seems a tad…aggressive for those things, but then we don’t even know if that’s actually what they do.

Maybe something to do with North Carolina State University?

There’s a Pop Warner football team in Escondido called the Wolf Pack. There are high school near Escondido with the team name of the Wolf Pack. There are apparently other athletic thingamajigs called the Wolf Pack near Escondido.

Could it have been Wolf Pac? **Wolf Pac **actually Wolfpac is a grass roots political organization working to reduce the influence money has in politics.

You mentioned that members of the group were on the youngish side, which is the correct demographic.

There might be a jr/sr high school near Escondildo with a “wolves” mascot.

I was visiting a very old and good friend of mine. He sort of twisted my arm into going along with him and his family Sunday morning as they wanted to check out a new church they had heard about. Since I had slept over, I sort of felt I had to go along.

Back in my temple going days, there were at most 2 ushers for Sabbath services. You could tell they were the ushers because they had a white carnation in the lapel of their suit jackets. Well, this church had about 10 ushers in khaki slacks, matching polo shirts, photo ID badges, and had walkie talkies clipped to their belts. Frankly, they seemed to be more security than ushers to me. So, maybe these Wolf Pack fellows were, I don’t know, preliminary screening someone for a church?

A soccer club called “Wolf Pack”, based in San Diego, do use yellow for some of their teams.

If one of the “interviewers” was wearing a “Wolf Pack” shirt and the other “interviewer” was not, I wonder why you (OP) think:A) the shirt represents an organization they both belong to
and
B) the organization was relevant to the “interview”?Oft times a shirt is just a shirt.

Or did I mistakenly intuit that meaning from your question?

There is a political action organization called the Wolf Pack established by an online progressive news service called The Young Turks. They have about a million videos on YouTube.

Sorry, that’s Wolf PAC. You can see one of their shirts here.

Me too. “I see you are wearing Armani, but I’m here to interview for an accounting job, not to work for Armani!”

Years ago I helped a buddy promote his bar using old work shirts that we purchased by the baled dozen. We paid the uniform company selling these used shirts $10 per dozen shirts, then paid a buck a shirt to have his bar’s logo put on the shirt’s back. So, for under $2 a shirt we had give-aways that people really liked.

When we were going through shirts I’d pull out any that were my size with a cool name and/or company. For instance, I’d grab an XL with “Tiny’s Towing” over the pocket and “Tiny” over the other side.

I still have 20 or so of these shirts. It’s pretty common for people to call me the name on the shirt, or to say, “hey, my buddy does swimming pool installation, maybe you know him?” Nope, it’s just a shirt. And then they go :confused:

… you put the bar’s logo on shirts that already had other logos on them? It must have looked a right mess.

I was involved in starting an IT startup. After a couple years in business we had logo-embroidered polos made, mostly to wear to trade shows & such. A couple years after that we changed the company name. And got new logo-ed polos.

Customers who knew us by the later company name would get all confused when we showed up at their site in matching shirts with the original company name.
I’ve been away from that outfit for almost 6 years now. I finally irrecoverably stained my last logo polo just a couple months ago. Before then it got worn in the regular rotation with all my others. It even had our original company name.

Shirts is shirts & logos is logos. Sometimes they’re real clues and sometimes they’re totally irrelevant.

eye roll

Please. North Carolina State University is the Wolfpack. University of Nevada, Reno is the Wolf Pack. Get it right.

ETA: please read with heavy sarcasm, if not already obvious…

IIRC, NCSU actually sued UNR and made them change it from wolfpack to wolf pack.

Thank you for the chuckle of the day, my friend. :smiley:

I’ll remember that the next time I’m out in the wilderness and am attacked by wolves. If they look like they’re from North Carolina, they’re a wolfpack. If they look like they’re from Nevada, they’re a wolf pack. It will be a great comfort to me as I make the final entry in my diary that I spell it right.

Ninjer’d ya in post #4. :slight_smile: