Things everyone knew but you

Or, Tikki, imagine you are a reporter and are sent out to do a story on a proposed constitutional amendment prohibiting the defecation of the American flag.

It happened where I work. Thank god for editing. Thank god I wasn’t there when she was asking these people what they thought about the defecation of the flag!

Up until last year I didn’t realize that the name of the band Lipps, Inc. was a pun. (Yeah, I expect to get a few :smack: s with that post.)

[QUOTE=Ludovic]
Up until last year I didn’t realize that the name of the band Lipps, Inc. was a pun. (Yeah, I expect to get a few :smack: s with that post.)
[/QUOTE]

I didn’t realize until i read your post.

[QUOTE=Hypno-Toad]
I didn’t realize until i read your post.
[/QUOTE]

ditto

[QUOTE=Omega Glory]
Okay, now that’s funny. I keep getting a mental image of an amoeba being like a balloon that swells up then zips around when the air is released.
[/QUOTE]

I was also confusing the term self-flagellate with self-flatulate. So if one of my friends were beating themselves up over something I’d offer them the sage advice; “Oh for heaven’s sake, there was nothing you could do. Don’t self-flatulate yourself!”

[QUOTE=Hypno-Toad]
I didn’t realize until i read your post.
[/QUOTE]

Same here…it’s a pretty clever name, innit?

[QUOTE=Rock n Roach]
I thought tome was pronounced as two syllables with the second syllable having a long “A” sound.
[/QUOTE]

There is an area ~20 mi. south of Albuquerque with that name, and the locals pronounce it as you do. (did) It is marked by a prominant hill in an otherwise flat (Rio Grande flood plain) area, known as Tome (TOE-may) Hill. I think Tome may be one of the spanish land grant communities, but not really sure.

[QUOTE=bigbabysweets2000]
Paramedic is a higher certification. I guess it doesn’t make a huge difference to the person having chest pains, or the body being scraped off the rode whether you’re certified as a paramedic or just an EMT. But apparently it’s a big distintion to those who are in the field.
[/QUOTE]

It would make a big difference to you if you were the one having chest pains. (YMMV the quailifcations and training may vary from state to state so all the following is from NJ specifically). EMTs are what is called BLS, basic life support. Paramedics are ALS, advanced life support. EMTs are trained in first aid and CPR/AED. Paramedics intubate, they run IVs, there is a whole bunch of meds they can push on their own and a bunch more they get an OK from a doctor via phone. There is a big difference.

[QUOTE=malkavia]
I was in my early twenties when I realized that no one is ever “towing the line”. I could never figure out *why * you would tow a line and to where it would be towed. :smack:
[/QUOTE]

Tow the line to me means work together. Essentially “pull together”.

Thanks to the people who clarified the banana question. I don’t get here often enough to keep up. I learned that from the sign at the botanical gardens. Looks like a tree to me.

I’m still wondering how I should pronounce ‘plaid’ (plaahed?) but just wanted to chip in about the ‘segue’ thing. I’ve been saying it was ‘say-g’ in my head and still am. :smack:

[QUOTE=Freudian Push Up Bra]
I’m still wondering how I should pronounce ‘plaid’ (plaahed?) but just wanted to chip in about the ‘segue’ thing. I’ve been saying it was ‘say-g’ in my head and still am. :smack:
[/QUOTE]

‘plad’. Like glad, sad, fad, bad, etc.

[QUOTE=thirdwarning]
Thanks to the people who clarified the banana question. I don’t get here often enough to keep up. I learned that from the sign at the botanical gardens. Looks like a tree to me.
[/QUOTE]
Anything that looks like a tree can be called a tree. I have a ‘tree fern’ growing outside my front door. Wisteria vines can be groomed into a tree. Roses, fuschias, they can be pruned into “trees.” Pomegranates I believe are technically a shrub but I’ve only ever seen them growing in a tree form. Just as long as you know it’s a banana plant, it’s okay.

I have a neighbor who has her lemon trees pruned into lemon bushes, forming a lemon hedge. :confused:

*Originally Posted by Ludovic
Up until last year I didn’t realize that the name of the band Lipps, Inc. was a pun. (Yeah, I expect to get a few s with that post.)

I didn’t realize until i read your post.*
Um. Count me three. I heard it as “lips, incorporated” in my mind.

[QUOTE=LilyoftheValley]
Until about a month ago, I had no clue that Joyce Kilmer was male.
[/QUOTE]

:smack:

:: hides bachelor’s degree in literature in case university officials show up to repossess it in shame ::

Okay, my prediction that others had also missed the pun came true, giving me m@d p5ych1c skillz!

Unfortunately, it seems that everyone but me knew that the title of this thread was “things everybody knew but you” :smack:

[QUOTE=Push You Down]
Tow the line to me means work together. Essentially “pull together”.
[/QUOTE]

Wait, isn’t it “toe the line”, like what old school boxers had to do (think Far and Away)???

[QUOTE=lisacurl]
:smack:

:: hides bachelor’s degree in literature in case university officials show up to repossess it in shame ::
[/QUOTE]

If you came from around where I grew up you would be much more likely to know Joyce Kilmer was a male. Lots of things are named for him in the area. SGT Joyce Kilmer was killed in WWI while a member of the famed 69th Infantry where he served with Father Duffy and Wild Bill Donovan . You can also see him portrayed in the James Cagney movie The Fighting 69th.

[QUOTE=Loach]
It would make a big difference to you if you were the one having chest pains. (YMMV the quailifcations and training may vary from state to state so all the following is from NJ specifically). EMTs are what is called BLS, basic life support. Paramedics are ALS, advanced life support. EMTs are trained in first aid and CPR/AED. Paramedics intubate, they run IVs, there is a whole bunch of meds they can push on their own and a bunch more they get an OK from a doctor via phone. There is a big difference.
[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I had no idea there was a difference until recently… and it seems to be a very big deal.

[QUOTE=postcards]
Until two years ago, I thought the ‘No Child Left Behind’ act had to do with school bus drivers checking their vehicles for sleeping kids at the end of the route.

I swear, I really thought this.
[/QUOTE]

Wow, you must have been really confused about why it seemed so controversial!