Things I just can't help

But that’s not being safe, really. That’s just life for a 130 pound woman.

Same here, but it’s mainly to keep the cat(s) out. Our bedroom is a kitty-free zone. Our current cat occasionally gets by me and jumps up on the bed, and he thinks by laying down on his back, showing his belly, and looking at me all cute and with pleading eyes I’ll let him stay, but it’s not gonna happen.

I walk a lot in downtown Chicago and there are lots of subway grates. I always sidestep them, even though I’ve never fallen in one, have never seen anyone fall in one, and have never even heard of anyone falling in one (though it’s probably happened). They just freak me out. Also, even though my mother has been dead for 26 years, I occasionally find myself avoiding cracks in the sidewalk. It’s amazing what childhood conditioning can do.

voguevixen, “uh…so the rest of the house doesn’t get in.” Wonderful!!

When I set my alarm clocks (I have two) before going to bed at night, I re-check each one about five times to make sure the time is set correctly and that the alarm function is on.

When I leave my house, I lock the door and close it behind me. Then after I’ve taken about four steps away I have to go back and make sure the door is locked. Sometimes I make it into my car before having to get out and go check the front door.

The way I see it, once you’ve accidentally dropped your keys in a murky lake by fiddling with them carelessly, you have a right to clutch them tightly when you pass a sewer grate. Some lessons stick with you.

I panic every night when I get close to home and need to check (again) that my keys are in my purse.

I can’t hang up the phone after saying goodbye to any of my children. They must be the ones to ring off. I would feel like a bad mom for some reason.

This cracks me up. As if, even assuming the ‘rest of the house’ had the power to move on its own and approach your bedroom while you sleep, a closed door would foil its evil plan.

When I’m leaving my flat I have to have my keys in my hand to make sure I’ve actually got them - I live in perpetual fear of locking myself out (which is kind of silly as there’s a spare set in the garage in case I did that so it’s not a big deal if I do forget them).

I always check my zipper upon leaving the restroom. Always.