Things other people do with computers that annoy the crap out of you

This video suits this thread very well.

Doesn’t seem to work here. I think the mouse itself physically doesn’t do that. Maybe if I had the right mouse, my system (older Linux box) and browser (older Firefox version) might handle it. (ETA: But I’ve heard of this from others before.)

But if I center-click (on the wheel) on a page that scrolls horizontally as well as vertically, it goes into mouse-gesture-mode that works in all directions – by moving the mouse a short distance in any direction out of the little circle, the window can scroll smoothly in any direction, including diagonally.

(Still, as it so happens, I’m a keyboard person mostly, so I hardly use the mouse for things much. And yes, I know, THAT annoys some people!)

ETA – Maybe I’ll play with this smooth scrolling more – I can get it to scroll continuously at any speed I wish, so I can get it to scroll at whatever speed I can keep up with reading the text, and then do completely hands-off reading!

YES

Have you seen people who right-click on the desktop and click “refresh” repeatedly? What’s that supposed to do?

reported

Yup - once it’s marked as ‘read’ and has fallen off the bottom of the screen, it’s as ‘filed’ as it needs to be.

I don’t have the time or inclination to dick around sorting emails into little boxes - and the trouble with creating categorised folders to file everything away is that, invariably, cases will arise for which the correct filing category is either ambiguous or nonexistent, and more time and effort is wasted handling something you’re already done with.

My emails are filed by strict date order, below the bottom of the page - and if I want to find one of them, I only have to tell my mail client to search for it.

Mac users who don’t know where their actual files are. They think all their photos are in iPhoto, all documents are in Word, all mp3s in iTunes, etc, and open the programs first to manage the files. For example, when copying photos to a flash drive, they open iPhoto, search by date, open the image, and do a “save as” for each and every photo.

When I find the actual folder containing the documents and show them how to drag and drop, they are surprised and have a hard time believing it’s so easy and intuitive :(. I thought that was the whole point of Macs.

This was a very good point back in the days of huge CRT monitors, but with modern LCDs all screens have a native resolution that it is always recommended to run at as, frankly, it looks like shit in any other resolution as approximations and processing on the pixels has to be performed rather than showing how things are actually supposed to look.

MY personally one is Mac users that set the corners of the screen as Exposé hotspots. Trying to point at something in the corner of a webpage and suddenly all my windows minimise? Lovely.

I don’t have a Mac here to check, but IIRC with certain programs, like the iPhoto you used as an example, the actual files ARE hidden from the user by default. They are stored in an iPhoto library that is actually a package. You can see the files contained within by right clicking and choosing “Show Package Contents”, but you can’t browse to it like you would with ordinary folders.

People who say they are having a problem with “Windows” or “Microsoft” when it’s actually a component of Office that’s playing up. People who say “2010” when you ask them what version of Windows they’re running. Plus variations on the theme.

To people with screens full of icons: USE THIS FREE TOOL (Windows Fences) Thanks.

That looks absolutely rubbish and pointless. Hell, I’d class that as “Things other people do with computers that annoy the crap out of you”. Running crap like that.

I have a friend who, whenever he sends me an image, puts it in a Word file first.

Whenever someone hooks their laptop to a projector I’m always surprised by how many desktop shortcuts they have and how they are randomly arranged around the screen.
On my own PC, once I get to about 5 columns of 12 shortcuts, I want to start culling the ones that aren’t getting used. It would really irk me to have a desktop where I couldn’t quickly see a shortcut if I forgot where it was / didn’t have a shortcut key.

I have to say I have my own one of this: in Visual Studio, to build a solution (a very common task), you can just press F7. Somewhere down the line though, I learned the alternative keypress Shift + Ctrl + B, and it’s stuck.
It seems to wind people up to see me use 3 keys where 1 would suffice (although, as I type this out I’m wondering whether it’s really faster to find the function key than those 3 keys which are much closer to where my hands normally rest…)

Me, it’s the “Apply” + “OK” sequence. Often accompanied by a verbal “Oh yeah, I’ll press Apply first, otherwise it won’t really do it”.

(I have to say that some nitwit, 12 years ago, programmed one of our own utilities so that it really would behave this way. So some of my coworkers can be somewhat excused for believing that Apply+OK is necessary.)

I agree with Senegoid that it’s normal not to know everything. I’ve been a programmer for 25 years, I’ve lived on DOS and Unix, I have Windows, Mac and Android computers, and much of the stuff mentioned in this thread is unknown to me.

You are correct. And this has been changed in more recent versions of iPhoto, but it used to be the files were organized in a very convoluted way; photos were separated by year, then month, then date, then “session,” each in their own nested folder, making finding a specific file almost impossible if you had a lot of photos. Thankfully they are now organized just by year and “event.”

Speaking of Macs, something that annoys me to no end is people who, similar to the “no keyboard shortcuts” thing (and likely the same people), refuse to use the trackpad gestures. Granted, I don’t use a lot of them myself, but the most convenient one is scrolling by using 2 fingers. It’s so simple! They know of it, because I tell them every time I see them moving the cursor over to the scroll bar and clicking on the tiny little scroll arrows, they just don’t do it.

Mac users may be the worst, but Microsoft has been playing catchup in this department in the race to obscuration of vital components. Most users haven’t a clue as to the [del]directory[/del] folder structure, and this is the root (no pun intended) of many problems.

Q: Where did you save the file?

A: In Word.

And you know what? They’d be equally slow if they used the keyboard shortcuts. Because you can do edit-cut/copy and edit-paste in a fraction of a second anyway; whether or not it’s faster than CTRL-X/C and CTRL-V depends on where your hands are. They’re doing it slow because they’re slow, not because the operation is slow.

Hell, if you’ve just highlighted some text to copy or cut, one hand is already on your mouse, so it’s not like it’s going to slow you down much to do it by mouse.

It re-loads the page. Duh.

Personally I can’t stand gestures full stop, but with the trackpad ones I hate the trackpad even more. First thing I do is a plug a mouse into a laptop if possible.

As such me using a trackpad full stop is very rare, so remembering a trackpad gesture that annoys me anyway: highly unlikely.

Number one peeve: People who put two spaces after a period. You’re not using a typewriter – cut it out!

Isn’t this an overheating issue?

Who the fuck cares if there are unread messages in my trash? They’re going to get dumped eventually anyway.

Yeah, this bugs me too.

What the hell are you talking about? I want to use the maximum visual space for whatever task I’m doing. So I maximize everything. And I don’t want to see clutter from things I’m not dealing with at the moment.

You’re joking, right? Different jobs require different things. If I need to see two screens at once, I’ll set them up that way. Otherwise I’ll maximize everything.

Oh, god. My boss uses the freaking menu to do a “find on screen” instead of using Ctrl-F! Gaaah!

Techs are nuts. They keep telling me not to do things that my computer clearly was set up to do.

I do that. I don’t like the “browser” style way of handling the folders on my desktop. I want a new window for each folder.

Better yet, why not use the arrow keys or “Page Up” and “Page Down”?

My wife does a lot of crazy things. Like refusing to update any software because she just doesn’t like changes of any kind. And refusing to let Itunes and Iphoto back up everything on the Iphone and Ipad.

Since my mouse-wheel doesn’t seem to work on more than half the applications/websites I use, I’ve basically forgotten it exists.

If recordset.BOF or recordset.EOF then

Why? If BOF is true, then so is EOF. You only need to check one. (This is for empty recordsets only.) Garrrrr! Og smash!