Things that annoy you (Language Pet Peeves, get 'em while there hot!)

Between you and I, Crunchy Frog can ensure you people that I seen people go nucular when they hear others disrespecting the language. Pacifically, when supposably smart people say ideal or idear instead of idea.

How about when people say “axe” instead of “ask”?

Oh and by the way, thank you America, for giving us Jerry Springer :smiley:

It’s vs. Its. There’s a difference people. It’s = It is. Its = possessive. Hello?

Irregardless. It’s (it is) either without regard or regardless. Irregardless is a double negative.

Local -isms:
Instead of saying envelope, my step-monster calls them “en-ve-lophs”

In the midwest: you occasionally hear acrost, instead of across.

Anywhere not on the coast: sometimes “hurricane” is pronounced Hyur-i-cane. Egad.

I’ll think of more and come back!

There are alot of language things that really bug me alot. Alot of people don’t know proper English. They should really go to the liberry alot more.

(not typing the space physically hurt me)

Someone I used to know managed to pronounce “Neanderthal” as something like “Nay-thander-hal” and it would have been pretty rude to correct him, so I suppose I’m glad that it doesn’t arise too often in everyday conversation.

Does anybody else remember James Thurber’s cute illustrations of his pet peeves?

The it(’)s dilemma is the one that ticks me off more than any other. Period.

Whenever I have a bad cold, I hate to be told that I need to be careful NOT to catch AMMONIA!

Alright you little fuckers (addressed to my students, not the highly intelligent denizens of this hallowed site), if I see “would of,” “should of,” or “could of” rather than the properly apostrophized “'ve,” I will fail not only this paper but your next one as well. Is that clear? Thank you for your time; now go tap a keg.

I cringe when people begin sentences with “basically” when they’re explaining something. It’s an overused, meaningless syllabification.

I also hate when people make up words. :wink:

But the misuse of apostrophes has to be the among the worst irritants…

If it happened only now and then, that people misused then and than, I’d be happier than a pig in slop. It happens so often, though, that it drives me NUTS! Why, oh why, can’t people figure out the difference between those two words?! ARGH!!!

Sn-man: Please, keep your “PP” in the bathroom, where it belongs.

My father was from Montana, and he and his whole entire family were required by state law to slam “fluster” and “frustrate” into “flustrate.” I hate this thing. I refuse to accept it’s a word.

Also, to go with “affect” and “effect,” “accept” and “except.” Plus, “alright” should be quietly disposed of. Also, can we bag “-al” when we make adverbs with “-ly?” I’m trying to kick the “basically” habit, and basicly it would help if I had fewer letters to work with.

Am I the only one who wants to go postal when I hear some moron say, “orientated”? Isn’t “oriented” completely adequate for the task?

On yet a higher plane, let us revile the cretins who say “heigth” instead of “height” (rhymes with “fright”). Can’t we garrotte them with their own shoelaces? Or, is there some niggling amendment in the Constitution prohibiting it?

Now, shall we have a go at these newspeak mouthbreathers who simply adore turning nouns into verbs? An office supply house has an ad that exclaims, “The new way to office!” May I please officiate at the firebombing of every one of their stores? Pretty please? (I feel that we should assemble a compendium of these particular language felonies for future reference.)

All of the above. Except the made-up words part - that’s high entertainment in my family. :wink:

Misuse and/or misspelling of “y’all”, one of my favorite contractions.

Misspellings and misuses of punctuation on signs. Every time I see something for “sale”, I wonder what they’re really up to. What are those red things, if they’re not “Ripe” “Tomatoes”??

Whelps. Evidently many people here have puppies as an allergic contact reaction.

I know there’re more, but I can’t think of them off-hand. I too wander through my days in a state of continual grammatical disgruntlement.

The one that really gets to me is when people say that they “could care less” when what they really mean is that they “couldn’t care less.”

Also, yankees trying to use the word “ya’ll!” Wasn’t there a thread about that not too long ago?

This sounds like my contracts professor. He would almost explode if someone started a case presentation with “basically.”

I can’t stand when people use “entitled” instead of “titled.” Entitled means the right to do or have something; they’re not synonyms. It drives me crazy whenever I see something like “the movie is entitled ‘Gone With the Wind.’” AAARRRGGGHHH!

Also, I cringe every time I see adviser spelled with an O (“advisor”). Most of the time I see this in ads or on billboards, and it never fails to irritate me.

In my line of work (copy editor), I’d go out a window if I took these things too much to heart. But I do have a peeve with people who make up words out of a misunderstanding of the roots of other words.

For example: “They destructed the building,” “The bride and groom processed down the aisle,” or – an especially creative one I heard just this morning – “Dry cleaning degradates the fabric.” “Destroy,” “proceed” and “degrade” are perfectly good words, dammit.

owwwwwww!

There was a resume sent to my company by a guy. The ENTIRE first page referred to himself in the third person “as a young man, Richard…” and “When He entered high school”.

I chose to not interview him.

Oddly enough, several years later, when I was at the county jail doing “employability classes”, he was on the list to join.

I’ll tell you what truly shits in my eyeballs:

The word “Y’all” is a contraction of the words You and All. The apostrophe does not come in the middle of the word, although I would venture the guess that most of us who write it are too ignorant to know the difference.

Pet peeve: People who mistake regional differences in pronunciation for genuine stupidity. Thank heavens those people don’t live in the U.K., where the people on the next street might speak differently. First Runner-Up: People who don’t want to let language evolve in useful ways.

Anyway, Catrandom, have you ever read anything by Steven Pinker? His last book,Words and Rules, in part addresses what you’re talking about from an interesting perspective; that is, the creation of new words by people who mistake an inflected word for a stem or root. Good book–Joe Bob says, “Check it out.”

ladybug, when I read your post regarding “entitled,” I decided to double check your argument; it seemed a little weak to me. (I’m “guilty as charged” for using it the way you hate.)

Sure enough, the first definition of “entitle” is “to give the title of; call by name.” The example they use is “A book that explains words is entitled a dictionary.”

The second definition is to give a claim or right to. As in, “The one who guesses the answer is entitled to ask the next question.”

So, ladybug, better fly away home and check your dictionary next time.