Things that bother me about M asterisk A asterisk S asterisk H (the TV show)

Yes, now that you mention Dean, I recall him being talked about once or twice. Thank you!

Huge fan of the show, but I can probably join this thread pretty actively.

I hated that Radar was a pretty cool, weasley guy at the start of the show. Smoked, drank some of the liquor, and so forth.

By the time he left, he was a little boy. Naive, only drank his grape nehi, never been with a girl. None of those things are wrong, but his decent backwards into childhood was strange and unnecessary.

He should have started off childish and innocent and matured and became a mature adult while there. Burghoff aging in real time while his character regressed was noticeable.

I kind of hate late-Radar as a character.

Indeed. Even back in the '70s and '80s, when I was watching the first run of the show, the difference between first-season Radar (who was much like how the character was portrayed in the film, where he was also played by Burghoff) and the much more naive, boyish Radar, in the later seasons, struck me as weird.

Edit: i had forgotten about the first-season episode, in which Radar is sending a Jeep home to Iowa, in the mail, one piece at a time, something that the “naive Radar” in later seasons would have never even contemplated doing.

And preferred rescuing animals to eating them. Seems to me that this regression into childhood primarily started with conning Henry into discharging the Greek’s main course for Easter dinner.

I think Radar maintaining his overall “goodness”, but becoming more mature and battle-hardened, would have been a great story-line for him.

Private Charles Lamb!

Spam Lamb!

I never really thought of it that why but it’s true. They painted Frank into a corner so they had to get rid of him. Every other character was able to grow and mature. Radar did the opposite. I don’t know, maybe Burghoff didn’t have the talent to pull it off?

You reminded me of how much I hated the episode where Radar almost had to sacrifice his rabbit so Margaret couild get a pregnancy test.

Mike Farrell suggested that Gary Burghoff was one of the more talented actors in the cast. Unfortunately, he just didn’t get along well with other people. He criticized others, but cold not take criticism.

It is no coincidence he has not had much of a career since. People don’t much like him.

Ironically Burgoff is the same age as Stiers, who in playing a character 2 decades older (or so)

I have no idea how old Radar is supposed to be. Did they say? By the end, he’s playing a 18-20 kid who never left the farm. He was about 36 when he was done filming it.

I don’t know either - he seems to be about 18 or 20, as you say and permanently stuck there (while Charles seems to be past 40).

In the episode “The Gun,” in which Radar is accused of stealing a General’s revolver (it was really Frank who took it), they say that if he’s found guilty, he would go to prison for 15 years. Radar is horrified: “I’ll be in my thirties. That’s almost dead!” So he must be in his early 20s at the oldest.

Watching as a kid, and being unfamiliar with the Boston (or whatever it was) accent of Maj. Winchester, I was bothered why no one ever mentioned why a Briton was in a US army hospital.

I enjoyed MASH at the first viewing, but then I noticed that the show became formulaic along the lines of: We’re the good guys who are smart and caring and they’re the bad guys who are dumb unfeeling hypocrites. So we get all of the smart lines, and they’re exposed for being dumb. Wash, rinse, repeat - repeat - repeat - repeat.

Now for an example, remember the episode where Hawkeye wanders around dazed asking why the army is fighting in the war? And Frank Burns comes up with the statement “They want our toilets.” Stupid. A soldier in Korea (or Vietnam) would have received at least basic indoctrination as to why the army was fighting communism and would be able to give a better reason. But the statement allowed the show to demonstrate how virtuous Hawkeye was - eventually offering to send toilets to North Korea in exchange for peace.

The show eventually grew out of this. Major Winchester was allowed to show some virtues. And the commanding officer was changed from a buffoon to a professional who at the same time cared for the people under his command.

And - MASH should have had a few episodes from the viewpoint of the enlisted men in the unit (other than Klinger and Radar). What would it have been like to serve under the officers while trying to keep the camp running?

Instead the enlisted were mostly kept in the background - throwing army chow into mess kits and so forth.

The one episode that did show some interaction was the one where one of the enlisted men tried to help Hawkeye by developing a new surgical clamp. Unfortunately, the plot demanded that his efforts fail.

Igor and Rizzo occasionally had a C plot.

And there was the (lame) episode where the officers and enlisted folks traded duties for a day.

mmm

Thank you for the responses. I will have to try and find those episodes that featured the enlisted men.

The MASH Wiki entries for Igor and Rizzo have a few mentions of such episodes for each, where they were more than just background characters. (But, note, even in those episodes, they weren’t usually the primary characters, just featured in a subplot.)