Things that make you shorter, as a teen?

Yes I was gobsmacked. Turns out it is osteoporosis and I need to have infusions and take calcium. Just gotta be careful not to fall.

I was barely 5’ when I was in high school, and weighed around 100 lbs. Just as I was starting college I had a growth spurt and reached the towering height of 5’ 6" :roll_eyes: Since the cafeteria at my college was all-you-can-eat and I was suddenly perpetually hungry, in addition to growing up I also grew out. I’m not sure what my weight was at the time because I never weighed myself, but some years later I found out I was 250 lbs. However, I didn’t have any other health problems and the extra weight wasn’t hindering my activities, so I didn’t worry about it until recently, when my health became an issue.

At just short of 72 I don’t know if I’ve shrunk any because I never check my height. I have lost about 20 lbs and working on losing more.

While I’m certain the training is part of it, I feel like self-selection is just as much a factor in the teenyness of high-level female gymnasts. It’s just easier and safer for the smallest girls to do the most complex maneuvers.

I just started a thread you may want to comment in. It’s for those of us with osteoporosis.

Biological girls normally reach their adult height at the age 13-14.

Biological boys normally reach their adult height at the age of 16.

The hormone produced by the pituitary gland is the most impactful on determining an individuals height. Activities a person participates in will have very limited impact upon the eventual height of an individual.

My family has a genetic disorder that affects the level of growth hormone that the pituitary gland produces. My sister, mother and grandmother were all 4’ 11". I ended up being 5’ 7".

My wife and I noticed that our youngest daughter was also below average height as she was growing up, It became very obvious in her 2nd and 3rd grade class pictures as she was the shortest member of her class.

We took her to a pediactric endicronologist where we learned that her pituitary gland was not producing sufficient human growth hormon to allow her to have normal growth. She was predicted to achieve a maximum height of 4’ 8" to 4’ 10". This is when we learned about the genetic condition our family has.

As such since she has been about 10, she has a weekly injection from an autoinjector of human growth hormone and has regular check ups with her endicronologist. She was a significant part of the decision to pursue treatment. She is currenlty 13 and has not yet reached puberty. Her doctors have said that if she continues the regular injections for about a year past puberty that she should achieve a height of about 5’ 3".

Such knowledge, diagnosis and treatment wasn’t available when I was growing up, or I would have wanted to pursue it also.

Thank you for the invitation. Will share my experience as soon as I can.

We grow in height from the epiphysial (aka growth) plates near the ends of our long bones. Puberty brings with it a permanent closure of these. At this point you permanently stop gaining height. So there is a clear window of opportunity.

The more common problem used to be girls that were clearly growing tall and fast. Parents would worry that a 6 foot plus Amazon of a woman might find it hard to find a husband. So bringing on early puberty was the usual answer.
When I was young I was fascinated by my farther’s explanation of how an X-Ray of the left wrist, along with current height and age could provide a good prediction of final height. The development of the carpal bones providing an accurate gauge of skeletal development.

That, and taller girls are more likely to drop out along the way.

I’m 6ft female.

Was a tall 5’10" teenager til age 19 when I grew 2 more inches and looked scrawnier than before.

I was late to puberty. So I guess reading this, that’s why.
Always wondered.

We have a taller than average family all around.

The Lil’wrekker is the shortest and tiniest of all the children.
We’ve decided she’s a throw back or something.

Or, we got the wrong baby. Eeek!
Well, I ain’t giving her back. So there!

As Dara Horn once wrote, there are two types of 15-year-old boy: the kind that looks 25, and the kind that looks 10.

Thing is, they can also be the same kid.

The Lil’wrekker age 23, still gets carded. And offered kids prices at the movie theater.

Guess which one she likes and doesn’t show her ID for!

Her boyfriend aged 26 is beginning to look like he shouldn’t be hanging around a teen(?) He’s worried. A bit.

And the problem? My ex was taller than I was, but only by about an inch in bare feet. She was taller in heels, of course.

Nothing wrong with being six feet tall, Beck. Tall women have a way of moving that makes them attractive (to me anyway) in a way that shorter women can’t.

The following formula gives the average expected height for someone: Average the mother’s height and the father’s height. For a woman, subtract 2.7 inches from that average. For a man, add 2.7 inches to that average. Most of the time this gets within two inches of the adult height of the person. It’s not a big deal if the expected height is within three or four inches of the expected height. That average is just the center of the normal curve, and there will always be some people just by luck who are much higher or shorter than the average. If a child’s height strikes you as much shorter or taller than expected, go to the pediatrist and ask them if they think there’s something other than random differences affecting the child’s height. If they can’t find anything that affects the height in the child, forget about it. Quit talking about it. Find something better than height to judge a person by.

Most girls attain puberty between nine and thirteen years of age. Are you saying that they remain that height? Because they don’t.

I should note that puberty for girls is occurring ever earlier these days. A combination of endocrine-influencing plastics, obesity, absent biological fathers during early childhood, and things we don’t know about yet but will be sorry when we do.

In the 19th century the average age for menarche was 17.

Interesting. All women in my nuclear family attained exactly the same hight.

Keep on talkin’. :blush:

Absent bio Dads?

Well, that’s a new one to me.
:thinking:

Yep, it was a large peer reviewed study. They still don’t know the why part.

Here’s a link to a description of the study

Early Female Puberty Linked To Absent Biological Father (medicalnewstoday.com)

It wasn’t a huge study (there were 444 participants) and the results were only found for higher-income households. There is no clear explanation as to why this link occurs.