Things that should cost more than they do

Pretty much everything at the dollar store seems like it should cost more than $1. The fact that it had to be manufactured, shipped from China or wherever it was made, brought to the store, and sold, plus the fact that the store has overhead expenses and salaries to pay…I don’t see how they get it done for so little. They have to sell tens of thousands of items to pay even one employee’s salary.

That, and also the fact that inflation is ruthlessly eating away at the value of a dollar. How are they going to keep this up when a future dollar is only worth half what it is today?

Dude!

.Order Pizza & Pasta Online for Carryout & Delivery - Domino's Pizza

2 topping pizza for $5.99 (cheese not considered a topping)
3 topping pizza $7.99 (same)

Reminded me of this

Scrivener. It’s an incredibly complex long - form writing program. Along with the multitude of organizational and editing tools, it has the ability to spit your manuscript out in virtually any configuration.

I would pay nearly any amount of money for it.
$500/year? I’d make it work.

It’s $50. Actually my last upgrade cost me only $25 since they give discounts to existing clients.

That assumes you can eat that sh*t.

I remember when 1st class postage was 3 cents. And mail delivery was much more regular and reliable back then.

Cashews. They only grow in a few parts of the world, which don’t include the US. They grow on the end of an exotic fruit, surrounded by poison-ivy-equivalent leaves, so you’ve got to very carefully harvest them and clean them. And each of those fruits only gets you one nut. And yet, they’re only about twice as expensive as cheap, abundant peanuts?

Where do you live? In my store eggs are twice that.

Coffee. People whined when the price went up several years ago but you have to harvest the berry when it’s ripe, get the seed out, clean it, roast it, package it.

You’re paying 10 bucks for a roll of Reynolds Wrap? I’ve been getting it at the Dollar Tree. And it’s the name brand RW, not the generic stuff.

I’m surprised you can buy a pack of gum for just 35 cents.

Eat your bananas now. You’re eating the Cavendish banana. The fungus that has practically destroyed every other banana variety is on the verge of destroying the Cavendish. Once that happens, you may never eat another banana. Ever.

It tastes neither worse nor better than pizza from any other chain.

I don’t cook and am single so I might buy 1 roll a year, and the largest sq. ft. size available, so I don’t really compare prices. But thanks for the tip, as I may just pick up a roll next time I’m near the dollar store near me. I go in there just to buy $1 bags of Wiley Wallaby licorice. Addictive stuff that should also cost a whole lot more, just to make me buy less of it!

OK, fair enough, I don’t eat chain pizza anymore. Years back, Pizza Hut was the best of the worst and Dominos was the absolute worst.

It’s not so much what they’re feeding them, it’s how they’re treating them. Small farmers who treat their hens right (sunlight, grass, bugs, room to move) usually charge more like $4 to $7 a dozen, around here. That is why I keep chickens, non-chicken-torture eggs are too expensive.

Buy some decent mountain bike tires, you’ll change your mind.

They’re loss leaders.

Some examples of typical loss leaders include milk, eggs, rice, and other inexpensive items that grocers would not want to sell without the customer making other purchases. While some customers may have the discipline to only buy the loss leaders, the loss leader strategy works because a customer who goes into a grocery store to buy an inexpensive bread or milk item may decide to buy other grocery items.

I haven’t bought a computer printer in years…they used to give the things away so they could sell really expensive ink cartridges. Is that still the case?

I bought eggs for 0.68 as recently as October. Today they were 0.99 at the same store (Aldi).

Aldi is definitely selling loss-leader eggs. Not that there’s anything wrong with their eggs as eggs. Or with loss leaders as a general matter.

But we know can’t say much about the price of the Aldi’s egg product being related to the actual cost of sales of that product.

Stamps/mail was my thought as well. For all the bitching people do about stamps when the price goes up a nickel or whatever, I just want to slap them over the head with a wet fish. Mail feels absurdly cheap to me. For a buck twenty I can get physically mail something almost 10,000 miles to my cousins in Tasmania. That’s incredible to me. Yeah, you have email now, as well as phone calls, but there’s something special about receiving something physical, something that’s been written upon in human hand by another, and touched by another. All for the cost of a candy bar.