Things The Beatles Should Have Done Differently

Now that’s classic.

I notice a lot of people hate the movie Magical Mystery Tour. What’s up with that? I LOVE it!

A Nono to selling music library:
Does Michael Jackson control the Beatles music library?
URL: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a951027.html

Or Weird stuff:
" What do all four Beatles hold on the cover of the Beatles '65 album?"

What’s the truth about weird stuff on Beatles’ album covers?
URL: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/980109.html

Yeah, in hindsight, they probably shouldn’t have done the Butchered Babies Cover.

And I too love Magical Mystery Tour.

They should have paid George Martin for helping them create some of the greatest recorded sounds in the world. IF thereis a 5th Beatle…it’s George Martin.

Apparently ol’ George was only paid his EMI salary. He didn’t actually make any money off the Beatles according to a quote I just read tonight.

When John Lennon left they should of replaced him with Sammy Hagar.

Who are The Beatles? :confused:

You know, if this is true - and I suspect it is - then I rather think that if none of the Fab Four ever leave a cent to Big Daddy in some capacity then I will choose to look upon them less charitibly in the future. Considering the extraordinary wealth the Beatles collected - even AFTER so much of it was extracted out of them by epicly poor management contracts with EMI and the tax people and the stupid publishing rights decisions etc etc etc - still… even after that… the four of 'em should have sent a little annual gratuity to Sir George.

Just think of those wonderful mesmeric arrangements. Just have another listen to “I am the Walrus” or “Something” to see what I mean. Sir George deserved a better deal from the Fab Four - no doubt about it. I always thought their “dumping” of him to make “Let it Be” was a low blow to be sure.

Hmm, was this a “dumping” of Martin? I believe George Martin and Glyn Johns made several attempts to turn the 30 hours of recordings into an album, none of them to the satisfaction of the Beatles or even themselves. Am I misremembering?

What I don’t understand is if the Beatles owned their own record label, under EMI, why did the Beatles allow Phil Spector’s version of Let It Be to be released if they hated his impositions? Isn’t that one of the reasons why you form your own label?

Just to clarify something here… you all who are complaining about Let it Be are complaining about the album, not the song, right?

Because the song is my absolute favorite Beatles song, and pretty much my favorite song of all time…

(Or does that just prove what a bad Beatles fan I am?)

I don’t believe all the Beatles hated Spector’s production. I believe John was the one who pushed for Spector, prompted by the fact that Spector had recently produced John’s solo hit “Instant Karma.” I think.

Yeah, I think it was just Paul who was annoyed, and that was mainly because of “The Long and Winding Road” and “Let it Be”–not about the entire album itself.

Was Instant Karma recorded as early as January 1969 was it?

I always thought “Instant Karma” came out around 1972 on the “Sometime in New York” album. I could be wrong of course. I’m happy to stand corrected.

And Bob Cos? My earlier comment regarding “dumping” George Martin? Just as some clarification, I should have been clearer. I was referring more to the decision by The Beatles to leave “Abbey Road” and setup in the BBC studios for the duration of the making of the film - with Phil Spector being involved as well.

Just as a bit of trivia - I see the name “Glyn Johns” was mentioned earlier. Where did “Alan Parsons” fit into all this? I understand Alan was quite involved at Abbey Road during the “Dark Side of the Moon” sessions too.

John Lennon recorded “Instant Karma” on Jan. 26, 1970, a year after the Get Back sessions, but months before the resulting album Let It Be was released in May 1970.

The studio where Let It Be was shot was Twickenham Film Studios, not the BBC.

Alan Parsons was an engineer on the Beatles’ last recorded album, Abbey Road.

One of his many projects, I’m sure.

P.S. Only rehearsals and filming were done at Twickenham. The album tracks for Let It Be were recorded at the Abbey Road studios.

No heavy orchestration on “The Long and Winding Road.”

Half the songs written by Lennon and McCartney should say “McCartney and Lennon.”

If someone hands you a piece of paper that has “Breathe” written on it, just smile politely and run.

On the last album, leave information on where one can purchase the red rain slicker Ringo wore at the roof top concert.

Do not sell the rights to your songs to anyone.

[Aside]

And in the category of Breath-Takingly Bad Puns, special awards go to Ceejaytee (“LET IT BE, dammit!”) and JThunder!

:slight_smile:

[/Aside]

The weird thing from today’s perspective is, the pace of the Beatles’ output at the time hardly seemed exceptional. Everyone else was putting out albums almost as frequently as they were. I can’t see that it was a bad thing, especially not in the Beatles’ case; how many bad songs did they have? But also for everyone else. The Sixties (‘The Sixties’, in initial caps, would be roughly 1964-1973 on the calendar) produced a whole lot of amazingly good rock n’ roll.

What should the Beatles have done differently? Yeah, keep Spector’s hands offa the “Let It Be” album, especially “The Long and Winding Road,” which was too smarmy for me, even when I still liked bubblegum music. (As pepperlandgirl memorably said, “Look, if someone is too fucking sappy for Paul, then you know you’re in trouble.”) And have the “Paul is dead” hoax be about George - with him being the “quiet Beatle”, it would have been far more believable.

Apparently they had an actual quota of George songs - at most two per disc. That’s something they should have ditched.

But by and large, there’s very little about the Beatles’ career as a group that I would want to change. Why mess with something that astoundingly good?

I don’t see the point in trying to condense the White Album to a single disc. After “Revolution #9”, “Why Don’t We Do It In the Road”, and “Good Night”, what are you going to cut? I’d cut “I Will”, maybe, but that’s only 4 cuts, which still leaves us with 26 songs, and I’ve already probably stepped on someone’s toes.

I’ll go along with getting a new manager, and not forming Apple Corps.

Oh yeah - regardless of what it said on “Glass Onion”, Milo Bloom had it right: the walrus was John.

Ringo looks the most like a walrus.