Things to do in Montreal?

Hi, all. Sorry if I’m posting too many of these threads, but in addition to my friend’s wedding in Galveston, I’m also planning to spend three or four days on a trip to Montreal. (The bar exam has given me a bit of wanderlust, I think). Can any of the Teeming Millions recommend things to do or see there? Also, can anyone recommend a good hostel?

Thanks!

First thing I can think of to do in Montreal? Speak French…

Smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz’s Delli, 3895 Boul. St-Laurent. Nothing else compares.

Buckminster Fuller’s Biosphere.

The Notre Dame Cathedral.

The “Village.”

Old Montreal.
When I was 18, I was visiting my cousin in Montreal, and we ended up walking around Old Montreal one evening, and checking out a couple of the bars there. It was definitely an interesting experience.

Also, although I haven’t experienced it myself, I’m told that the nightlife on Rue Ste Catherine is interesting… :stuck_out_tongue:

S^G

I think the Biosphere burnt down many moons ago. The cathedral (which now charges admission) is, in my view, highly overrated. By “Village”, I assume you mean the gay village, which is fine if you are gay (or want to bash some).

The Biosphere (not to be confused with the Biodome) consists of three entirely different ecosystems (tropical rain forests, antarctic with penguins, and norther forest). You can combine that with a day at the botanical gardens that include both a Japanese and a Chinese garden.

I’ll second the recommendation for Schwatz’s, but if you don’t want to wait in line for a table, go at 2:30 or later.

There are many many fine restaurants. Too many to mention. You can google the resto giude at the Montreal Gazette for ideas.

Thanks for the good advice, Teeming Millions! I’ll be sure to let you know how the trip goes.