Things to see, do and eat between Houston and Panama City?

Hey all, I will be driving out in May to attend a wedding in the Florida Panhandle. I’d like to make the drive in one long day ( I may take longer on the way back, and I’d like to take time for at least a quick stop in New Orleans, considering that I haven’t visited yet.) I’d also like to make a few quick stops along the way. Does anyone have any suggestions for sights, food or anything that is worth a stop but won’t take more than an hour or two?

Pretty good fried and cajun style seafood at The Schooner in Port Arthur, TX. A little pricey for the type of food it is, but also absolutely delicious.

Also, if you’re into corny roadside attractions, world’s largest fire hydrant in Beaumont:

What route are you taking? There is a very cool Katrina memorial in Biloxi. Also, up and down the Miss. coast along Hwy 90, there are a lot of wood sculptures in the highway median. These are the stumps of oak trees which were killed by the salt water of the surge; local artists have carved them into the shapes of sea creatures.

Right off I-10 at Grosse Tete is the Tiger Truck Stop. Get some gas, food, and check out a live Tiger. They also have video poker. Well worth the stop.

Tiger Truck Stop

The truck stop isn’t owned by a guy named Wingo, is it?

Thanks folks, and sorry for not getting back sooner. It would probably only add a couple of hours to cross into Louisiana at Sabine Pass, and drive along 82, then enter Biloxi on US-90. I was born on the Gulf and haven’t been back in years. This should do me good.

I’ve always wanted to check out the Abita Brewery in Abita Springs, LA. It looks like it would be about a 1.5-2 hour detour, all in all, though.

Good idea. I was planning to stay on I-10 for both legs, but I may take I-12 on the return.