Things we learned from Civilization IV

Has anyone else here ungraded to 3.19 and run the Rise of Mankind mod? I did 3 months ago and haven’t looked back.

Helicopter gunships are surprisingly vulnerable to pre-gunpowder armies.

Using atomic weapons against primitive civilizations will NOT, in fact, cause them to worship you as a god.

Global warming is inevitable and will turn the whole world into a desert no matter what you do. Forget cold parts of the world suddenly becoming habitable - it’s only bad for everyone period and it can’t be stopped.

Sure it can. A small edit to an XML file will end this ridiculous and unrealistic threat permanently. :wink:

I demand an elaboration.
ETA: DEMAND

Edit: of course you can change it with modding, but in vanilla… it’s unstoppable and inevitable.

What’s wrong with that? The Chinese, for example, still write without an alphabet. What would be really impressive would be an alphabet without writing.

I haven’t heard of that. What is it?

Would that be runes, “written” with a hammer and chisel?

The 3.19 patch is for Civ 4’s expansion Beyond the Sword. After patching (which fixes a lot of bugs found in the vanilla game) you can play a mod called Rise of Mankind.

I can’t recommend it enough.

I tried that mod out some months back (before 3.19, I think), and never could get very far before getting a CTD. I guess it must be better now?

Rise of Mankind is an absolutely great mod-when it doesn’t CTD or somesuch. A build I played last year was much more stable than the current one. Shame as it really does have everything and the bathroom bidet.

How MANY nukes, exactly?

… as I now have a new goal.

Skimming over it, it doesn’t appear to have chemical warfare options. Phooey. :mad:

Dangit, the conversation always dies as soon as someone brings up nerve gas. What the hell, man? I mean, Fall from Heaven uses plague carriers, don’t they?

Maybe 14 or so? I’m randomly pulling a number out of the air. But if you use enough it will happen.

Montezuma ? Screw that. Don’t trust Ghandi. That smiling little bastard is three turns away from a Cultural victory as we speak.

Archers in a walled city on a hill will ruin your day.

Free market is nice and all, but State Property’s where it’s really at.

Oh, I’ll use a scout for exploring, but I don’t consider them valuable enough to choose an Expansionist civ over one with Industrial or Scientific strength. I tend to send out mounted warriors instead of scouts, as even the first level mounted warriors (not chariots) are fast and strong enough to defend themselves, though of course they don’t get the favorable results from goodie huts that scouts do.

I tend to build a lot of mounted units early in the game. They’re fast, and they can withdraw, and Cavalry is a very, very effective unit until you get to late modern military.

i always play indian, they don’t go on strike when they have a revolution =) and they get fast workers

Your criticism is fair and I thought I was the only one this happened to (I like large maps and 20+ civs), apparently I’m not and it’s a large problem, however, the recently released 2.8 version is supposed to fix this. When I get some time I’ll play it and see if I can get passed the 1800’s without it locking on me.

Appreciate the game details and learning a few new things! But I was also thinking in terms of “life lessons”, such as:

• Everybody will be “pleased” as punch with you as long as you’re small and weak, and then they’ll come along and take what little you have. If you start getting big enough to make them “annoyed”, that’s not necessarily a bad sign.

• At some point conflict is inevitable if you want to make progress. Building peaceful settlers will only get you so far: sooner or later, if you want to build on that prime tract of real estate, you’re going to have to grab it from someone else.

• Don’t futz around on the edges: expand toward your rivals and take the center ground if at all possible.

• You may have a great idea (research) you’re working toward (e.g., Machinery, to enable those Chinese crossbowmen), but don’t spend an inordinate amount of time devoted only to that goal (like, say, 40 turns) while neglecting the mundane stuff that is giving your rivals an incremental edge (drama, philosophy, whatever).

I think all of these are worthy of pinning up on your own private bulletin board at work.