Things you are surprised to find have leagues

I just got back from Toronto a little over a week ago, dammit. NOW you tell me. :slight_smile:

High-stakes amateur street football (WARNING lots of swearing).

Vice did a great 6 part series on the street bowl championship.

I figured there were pickup games of football being played all over, but I didn’t realize there was an extremely competitive, organized league of street football played by teams from all over NYC. Street football is a simplified version of normal football, allowing for it to be played on smaller fields.

I actually prefer duckpin far more then ten pin. Probably because I grew up playing it more, though it is a lot tougher and that makes it more interesting too. I was on a duckpin team about 15 years ago, if I had the time I’d think about going back.

There are leagues for swimmers that I didn’t know about until 15 or so years ago when I came back to swimming after 10 years off. There are meets around the world as well.

My son played on a wiffle ball league.
I was once in a handball league.

Cornhole (which is like horsehoes or lawn darts with bean bags) has a national organization with local leagues and tons of tournaments. Their world championships were even featured on ESPN last year.

MAJOR LEAGUE DREIDEL

http://www.facebook.com/NTL-National-Tiddlywinks-League-127827130612316/

And, though it’s not something you could make a league for, how about

http://www.worldconkerchampionships.com/html/conkers_rules.html

Not exactly a league, but Magic: the Gathering (a collectible card game) has had a Pro Tour for twenty years now.

I’m a proud member of the Moustache & Beard Social Club, one of the oldest organized groups of beardsmen in North America.

We are affiliated with the Facial Hair League.

Cool! I’ve met some of your bearded buddies. A friend of mine has photographed the National Beard and Mustache Championship and I’ve met a few competitors. It’s a small (hairy) world.

Not the existence of leagues since they’re pretty common in Spain in the summer, but the location: boules in Sweden. My English coworkers were stunned that there was such a thing anywhere.

I’m obsessed with the subreddit the ocho which features all sorts of obscure sports, many of them deeply competitive on levels I previously never imagined.

One of my facebook friends is a member of the pillow fight league

An acquaintance of mine plays on Indiana University’s quidditch team.

Heh… do you guys have rabiosa championships (hoe throwing) and goitiberas? The commercial ones depicted there are quite close to the classical “grab half a door or a chunk of fence and add wheels” models.

Women Voters. How do they even keep score?

Indeed it is. We have a number of past national and world champions in the club. Mostly they’re just good drinking buddies though. We do some good community works and have a good old time.

I recently found out that there is a professional ultimate Frisbee league. And you can have a professional ultimate fantasy team

http://mlultimate.com/mlu-fantasy-perfect-7-week-6/