Things you notice that others don't.

‘Pedestrian crossing’ (Brit.) does not equate with anything at an intersection, American-style. If we have a lighted crossing at a junction (intersection), it will be fully linked into the light phases so that pedestrians and cars never encounter one another. Anything unsignalled is just a convenient place for pedestrians to wait for a gap in traffic.

Zebra crossings and their ilk are placed free of other such complications, so that there’s clear sight of them for all involved, and yes, I fully expect a driver to give way - although I use the advice I’ve picked up in Italy, which is making eye contact with drivers as you move into their path. It really does work! (No, I’m not playing chicken, I’m talking about at stopping distances where I could step back again!)

‘Off-tune’ isn’t really a fair way of describing it. It’s just tuned to a different standard pitch. A440 is a very recent innovation, and I’m intrigued if there’s a particular reason why you notice these differences - an early familiarity or exposure to a particular tuning, i.e. specific music, for example?

I notice when the guy across the street doesn’t put out his trash cans in time.

I notice when the slugs are slower than usual.

“Things you notice that others don’t” has got to be on the top of the meaningless lists. It’s like the "Things you like that other people don’t like list."It will go on and on and nobody will care what other people post.

Thank you for your fascinating post. I will treasure it always.

I have owned a digital piano for the past … oh, 20 years, since I was 17. I also play guitar and (at one time, though I don’t own one now) bass guitar. I’ve always had a very good ear for pitch; I can often name a played pitch, and as often sing a named pitch. When listening to a CD, I can start humming or singing the song in tune before hearing the first note of it.

I don’t know, I’ve just always had a good ear for it.

That causes much tooth grinding. The worst part is that squeal has to be added in post-production by a sound engineer following the instructions of the director.

But not as much as every single employee in a store preceding every announcement on the PA by blowing into the microphone! Just fucking talk! There is no need to “test” it by transferring your spit onto the microphone diaphragm!

Santo Rugger, actually it’s from the Kate Bush song Suspended in Gaffa.

Musically, I can barely tell that the bass is turned up on the Song Remains the Same version of Stairway. But I did notice when no one else did that the theme to the 90s Last of the Mohicans soundtrack sounds similar to one throwaway phrase in Pink Floyd’s Shine on You Crazy Diamond

I prefer females with both left and right hands.

I notice when the slugs are slower than usual.

you too ?

Have you noticed the similarity of the Cash Cab theme with Brown Sugar.

I watch that every day! I’ll have to pay attention.

I notice signs on the side of the road. If it has words on it I’ll most likely have read it before the other people in the car noticed there was even a sign.

Lately, I haven’t been able to tell the difference between gravy and sauce.
Any suggestions ?

Move away from New Orleans.

I do notice the similarity between the “Gracie Films” tune after each Simpsons episode and the early-1990’s song “King of Wishful Thinking.”

I read water. Always spotting routes down rapids or noting lake conditions.

I’ll be thinking about something from Seinfeld, and that episode will come on in about 3 or 4 days.

I’m left handed too. I never notice it, but when I was a kid and my family would go out to dinner my mom would immediately notice if the waiter or waitress was a leftie or if the person at a hotel desk was or whatever… She’d bring it up. It was odd.

I for one never notice it myself.

You never noticed you were left handed ?

I notice if people are conceal carrying weapons, and I can usually tell what the contents of peoples pockets are.

And gaffa must be a New Englander as well.