Things your friends do that are weird (to you), but you don't say anything to them about it.

And if you ask for Pommes rot/weiss in Germany (or Fritten rot/weiss, depending on the region) you will get them with mayo *and *ketchup :slight_smile:

You reheat coffee? That is weird to me. Does it not get bitter?

I had a friend in college that would not touch any of the beverages (usually, 3 glasses of soda, 2 of milk) he had on his cafeteria tray until he finished ALL of his food. I know that the OP was about not calling friends out on their weirdness, but we had to ask, and he explained that at home, his family would not even put drinks on the table until all of them had finished their food. His MO at school was a concession to the distance between the drink dispensers back in the cafeteria and the tables where we ate.

At my house, my mom yelling “milk and water” was a warning to me and my sibs to finish setting the table by putting the drinks out - dinner was nearly ready to serve. So his “no drinks until food is done” was really weird to me.

It sounds like a modernized and modified version of a trencher to me: a hard, flat bread which was used as a plate in olden times (from which we get the word trencherman for an accomplished eater). The idea was, you ate your meat and vegetables and so forth off it and it soaked up all the juices and you finished the meal by eating your plate.

I just add more Coffee Mate :slight_smile:

Plus, I don’t really care how it tastes, it’s really just for caffeine. Coffee with milk and sugar or Coffee Mate tastes better, but it’s not a deal breaker.

My mother actually does organize her plastic grocery bags. She folds them neatly into about a 3-inch strip, and rolls them up together. When the cylinder reaches about 4 inches in diameter, she starts a new one. (And offers the “completed” roll to whomever seems likely to need a roll of plastic bags, because heaven knows that two old people with one dog don’t need 3000 plastic grocery bags!)

OCD and hoarding behavior seriously run in my mother’s family, though. (Ma’s middle sister does the “no beverage until food is fully consumed” thing, but I think that ties in with her orthorexia, and she never made it a family rule or anything.)

I actually would assume that clingwrap is nearly sterile. Why wouldn’t it be? Nothing has touched the inner side of it since it was manufactured, which involves a lot of heat. The issue I have with the shopping bags is that they’ve been used for other things. And, since most food is packaged in some way, I wouldn’t even expect them to be made out a food grade plastic, while clingwrap would have to be to serve its function. They even removed a chemical from it because it was toxic.

Now, I don’t know if this makes any appreciable difference, or if it is correlated with other behaviors I would find less sanitary, but I totally get being uneasy about the bags touching the food. Though I admit I’d’ve done the same thing as monstro.

Mine is simply that I’m going to rinse the glass anyways before I use it.

Someone I know has a very strange case of plasticbag-o-phobia.

Never could understand where that came from, possibly some childhood trauma or something similar.

Maybe she feels like a plastic bag drifting through the wind, wanting to start again.

Not the least weird thing in this story (to me) is the idea of drinking five drinks all in a row.

Like what? The plastic for grocery bags is not food grade, so it contains chemicals that can leach out into the food. The gruesome chemical details can found in the 'Net. It is even more gruesome if the printed side comes into contact with the comestibles, printing dyes are really, really not intended for consumption.

Saran wrap are not medically sterile, unless you wish to autoclave them before use, but are food grade and are inherently clean due to be packed in a roll.

She seems to be gloriously unaware that greaseproof paper is made in quite a different way. Maybe you should sneak into her house one day and stick a “Is is food grade?” label on her more interesting attempts.

I do my best to reduce the amount of plastic waste, but we still produce about one sack of metal and plastic waste a week - we get these pretty little pale yellow sacks that are, I think, 120 liters in size. Yup, Europe is big on separating and recycling. Also, several countries introduced a charge for plastic bags within the past few years. It can be a bummer if you have forgotten to bring a bag with you, but in general it is a good idea. I was using cloth bags for shopping before this anyway. In the old days we could easily end up with bags full of other bags, but now we just have a small collection.

Since we don’t have so many shopping bags now, I use bin liners instead if the “bag of bags” is getting low. Like one or two other posters here, I find shopping bags are really handy for storing shoes when traveling.

But no way would I go to ridiculous lengths to recycle. Some things do have to be thrown away.

BTW, regarding the recycling of paper, the old-style newsprint was ideal for composting due to the carbon-based ink. But that stopped ever since newspapers used color printing, the dyes are poisonous and don’t break down in composting.

More on composting; a while back we bought some bags for food waste that said they were compostable. They might have been chemically harmless, but they sure as heck did not compost, or at least, on any reasonable time scale.

Bread goes stale MORE QUICKLY at fridge temperatures. Strange but true.

Does he get stomach trouble or worse? Humans were not designed to consume raw wheat. Milk powder would just dehydrate him.

As a kid I sometimes ate small bits of pastry dough, but it quickly became nauseous.

That’s largely not true any more- I think all EU newspapers now use soy or water based biodegradable coloured ink, due to toxicity concerns about the older stuff.

Nope; meant it the way I said it. A Party represents nothing more than its collective need to retain power however you happen to define it. And with extremes in both major parties the overall platforms are a compromise at best and a planned assault on the “other guys” at worst. Since both sides can have good people under their flags, take the time to study and vote the person you feel best.

I was speaking of the larger chest/upright freezers not the little one in your frig. And since every installer and repairman I know uses the old “cheap bagged bread as an air filler” trick I’ll stick with them. YMMV of course. :smiley:

Or if you were rich, your almoner would collect your hall’s uneaten trenchers and distribute them to the poor.

I thought raw wheat was ok, except for possible food safety issues, but raw beans are actively poisonous.

Do I have that backward?

I’ll sometimes eat all my fries first if I know they’re going to cool off quickly, and they taste a lot better hot. If they’re mid range quality fries, I’ll just eat them interspersed between bites of burger.

I like mixing my dipping mayo with sriracha, but curry powder is great, too!