Think I might have to give up shrimp

My father has long had a bad reaction to slightly undercooked shrimp (hives), but I never had a problem until relatively recently. Like my father shrimp that have been cooked to death, no problem whatsoever, but the last few times I ate shrimp that were slightly undercooked, or at least not fully white-n-rubbery, I got a not-quite-right feeling in my throat and stomach. Haven’t checked it against a doctor yet, but I’m pretty sure I can do that math on my own. Rather than risk it, think I’ll just have to go without.

I really like shrimp. :frowning:

Bummer. Do you have any kind of iodine allergy that you know of?

Not that’s been professionally diagnosed, but from the rudimentary research I’ve done on the subject that would appear to be the culprit. I suppose a trip to an allergist would clear up that mystery.

I was in my early 40s when I developed a shrimp allergy, which manifests as a hot, itchy face.

Luckily, I can still eat crab (my favorite) and lobster, though the shrimp allergy just gets worse and worse. (Turns out there was a tiny bit in an appetizer I had, which I figured out when the symptoms came on a couple of hours later. Checked with the restaurant next time I was in there, and, yep, there was shrimp in there.)

That sucks!
I used to LOVE snails. Now if I look at one too long I blow up like a baloon,

I’m the same way.

Not necessarily undercooked shrimp, but crappy shrimp. Like at a chain restaurant, or otherwise low-quality.

I’ll feel sick for hours. headache, nausea and the feeling my throat’s closing up.

I really like scampi too.

Man I would lose a lot of what I eat if I gave up shrimp!

Sorry to hear your news - good luck!

Get checked for sensitivity to sodium tripolyphosphate - shrimp are frequently soaked in a bath of this and water to plump them up before freezing.

MORE FOR THE REST OF US!

Ok, sorry, that sucks. Not so terrible in the grand scheme of things, but I’d be bummed out too. I hope you’re still allowed to eat most everything else that grows in the water.

A few years ago I was at an All You Can Eat Crabfest when suddenly I was having difficulty clearing my throat. Felt very phlegmy, and then I started slightly wheezing. Hallgirl walked with me out to the car to get my purse, which just happened to have three Benadryl’s in it. It took all three before I could breath freely and I’ve been paranoid of crab ever since.

That sucks. Shrimp is my favorite seafood. I was elated when Taco Bell added it’s new shrimp soft tacos. (The shrimp burritos are gross, though.)

Well if it makes you feel any better shrimp gave up on you a long time ago.

Once in a great while I’ll eat me some skrimps and get the squirts - sometimes for 2 or 3 days. What’s up with that? Just bad skrimps?

Gentlemen, your shrimp counts are dangerously high right now. What we need to do is bring your white wine levels up.

Now, wait a second. You doctors have been telling us to drink eight glasses of shrimp a day!