Thinking about summer vacation in the MMP

We were beginning to plan just the other day and had considered flying someplace since we are both vaccinated. However, one thing we ran into already is that rental cars are very expensive right now - like $80/day for economy cars. I think this is related to the rental companies selling off excess inventory last year. We may have to stay within driving distance.

Peace and quiet returns - the Roxnado has gone home. FCD is stahvink, so we’re having an early supper - chickie, rice, gravy, green beans. Blueberry crisp for dessert.

Allecher - I saw on the news last night that somewhere (Hawaii??) they’re charging over $700/day for a Camry or similar small car. YOIKS!! And yes, it’s because cars were sold off last year but they’re hard to come by this year due to computer chip shortages. People were renting UHaul vans and pickups in desperation!

dicey, those rhubarb dumplings look good, but the ones that Granny used to make was basically slightly thinner rhubarb pie filling with sweetened drop dumplings on top. Pretty simple and didn’t heat up the kitchen so much (until the early seventies, she used a either a wood or kerosene cook stove).

I’m sorry about your friend boo fae.

The squirrels in my neighborhood tend toward the fat grey ones flyboy. There are a few red ones, but the little grey ones own the turf. :stuck_out_tongue:

wet one, will your trip to Kentucky involve big hats and take place this coming weekend?

'Twas a Monday all day, but not too difficult of one. I had problems getting to sleep last night, so I’ve been a little groggy all day. It went from putting the quilt back on the bed and having the heat on last week to turning the AC on today (82F when I came home from irk).

Stay safe and healthy y’all!

I dunno, man. I’m still picking up the pieces on starting my life over; the concept of an expensive, pre-planned “vacation” is rather foreign to me.

That said, I’d love to road-trip to Chicago once work/time allows - thanks to some older threads that I simply cannot be arsed to dig up & link right now, I have a couple of Polish delis in my arsenal that often, if not always, carry oscypek, a smoked Polish cheese that I dearly love, mostly because it’s so :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: difficult to find.

Made bacon in preparation for a long-awaited B.L.T. for dinner.

But … I have some already-cooked potatoes that need usin’ up, and now I have this pan full of lovely bacon grease … might hash up some N.O.T.s instead of the B.L.T.

Or, or! Possibly both! Stand by to see how hungry and/or ambitious shoe turns out to be.

How about your guest room while you’re away on a cruise? I promise to hang up my wet towels and use coasters. Even Roxy’s futon in the basement would be fine.

I have FCM’s address and I can be bribed. :grin:

Good to know.

Evening all. Nappage and soccer practice have both been completed successfully and the Big Mac dinner is happily assimilating in my belly. Made it to 77F today, couldn’t ask for nicer weather.

Allechre, FCM, thanks for the heads-up on rental cars. If I travel some distance I usually get a rental, but at those rates I think I’ll leave the driving to me, myself, and I.

wet one, got a sympathetic twinge in my left shoulder for you.

quietly, enjoy Vegas. I’ve thought about it for a 2-3 day trip this year, as I expect the rates are low. Decided where you’re going to stay yet?

Either Palazzo or Wynn. If I stay any farther south than Cosmo I get the bends.

We stayed at MGM Grand last time. We didn’t like it. When we go back we decided we liked the Venetian for our next visit

So when is the FairyChat cruise again?

I stayed at the Hampton Inn Tropicana back in 2009. I liked it.

Pretty sure moooom said December. Partaaay!!

Last Tuesday, as I sat on the roof of a hotel overlooking BLM Plaza in DC waiting to see what would happen with the verdict, the wind was blowing and the air was warm as the sun set, and it felt like I was out on the Bay, bouncing around on a warm summer evening, fishing.

So yeah, that’s what I am looking forward to doing this summer - hang with Dad a week or two and spend time on the water.

Up, caffeinated, and sheveled. Off to sort n’ heave.

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

andGood Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN ‘Tis 60 Amurrkin out and clear with a predicted high of 88 and mostly N.O.S. for the day. This mornin’ we shall clean the back porch. A loathsome job, but it should only take a couple of hours, so there’s that. Also I shall finish up the readyin’ of the cee-mint pond today. Sup shall be leftovers from yestiddy. Speakin’ of yestiddy, I could have sworn I posted last night, but apparently not. Mayhaps I dreamed I did?

BooFae sorry about the loss of your friend.

Looks like several of y’all do have some plans for the Summer. Great!

talky you mean you expect your BIL to deal with his own screamin’ young’uns while on vacation? How cruel! What gives you the right to be a good mom and actually make sure your own young’uns have fun on a vacation! Really!

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy! Then, onward into the day! Rah.

Happy Tuesday Y’all!

Yanno, I don’t miss boat ownership, but I do miss bobbing out on the Bay. Or the rivers that feed into the Bay. I’ve looked in Craigslist for a cheap little powerboat in the 25’ range - something that could live on a trailer in our yard when not floating. Alas, in light of FCD’s current physical state, such plans must be delayed, perhaps permanently. We shall see…

As for this implied December invasion of FairyChatEstates, be advised that I plan to hire several members of the Brute Squad to live here while we’re away. Just so’s you know… :stuck_out_tongue:

Another terrible night that ended at 4 of the AM. I’m trying really hard not to be miffed at FCD. I know it’s not his fault that I hear him get up multiple times during the night and I know he doesn’t do it to annoy me. But lack of sleep makes one cranky. I halfway thought about sleeping in the guest room, but I’d spend most of my time worrying that I couldn’t hear him and what if something happened?? Until he’s off the walker, I don’t like him being alone.

On the plus side, I removed the dressing from his incision last night and it looks really good! They used dissolving sutures rather than staples, augmented with this device that pulled suction and kept the dressing pressed against the incision. It seems to have done its job nicely! Now he’s just got to avoid submerging his back for 4 weeks, but since he showers rather than bathes and since we still don’t have a hot tub and it’s still too early to swim, I think we’re good. :wink: So we’re just waiting to hear about PT. His appetite is better - now, if he could just sleep.

SIL is dropping off the RoxStar later this morning, and after lunch, I’ll take her to the playground next to Daughter’s school so I can give her back at 2:30-ish. We’re promised temps in the 80s - gotta remember to take water. I hope there are a bunch of kids there so she has someone closer to her age to play with.

And after I pass her off, I need to get cat kibbles. And run to the credit union. Fun-filled afternoon ahead!!

One bit of weirdness - looking at FB, there was a “People you might know” of my daughter’s ex. Out of nosiness, I had to look at his link - turns out he, his second wife, and their daughter all tested positive for COVID last summer. (They live in FL, so right in plague central.) They all got over it, I guess - he doesn’t FB a lot. So, yeah, nosiness…

Happy Tuesday!

Afternoon, mumpers! I’m in the campus office today, it’s very quiet and not exciting at all. The journey in was ok but there are still too many idiots out there not understanding masks and distancing, especially in a crowded station. Weather app says “It’s completely average outside in every fucking way” and promises me 12C/54F and mostly cloudy.

Nowt exciting going on today and I’ve got a meeting now…bah!

I had an attack of motivation, so the dishes are done and the kitchen floor is clean. I’ll move the furniture back in there shortly.

Go me!

:smiley:

I had an attack of the waking-up-early (thanks Monkey!) so I played some Plants vs Zombies before another day at the “Short-Handed Weeds’R’Us” emporium.

Go me! :smiley:

Morning all. Up a little after 7am, but was actually awake a little earlier than that, so nappage before the soccer game is probable. Need to run the vacuum on the carpets, for some reason this easiest of chores is the one I keep putting off most. Clear and heading for 83F today, still not A/C weather but it’s getting closer.

Have managed to take my prescriptions daily for a whole week, it helps that they are right beside the monitor so I see them in front of me early in the morning. And since I have to take one of them an hour before breakfast on an empty stomach, I’m motivated to take them first thing.

FCM, hang in there. You could with I Love Lucy 50’s style and get double beds… but good to hear the incision is healing nicely.

tugig, sounds like a good plan to me for the summer.

OK, best do the hoovering and get about the day. All y’all take care.