Thinking about summer vacation in the MMP

As more and more people get their plague shots, life may slowly creep back towards what we might call normal. And part of that normal may well be vacations again.

Are you planning any? Um, and just in case you thought it was an option, no you can’t crash in my guest room.

:rofl:

Happy Moanday!!

We planned a trip to the mountains in Colorado for last summer, but everything was closed. I am not sure we are ready to stay in hotels just yet.

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffeinatin’. YAWN I was a slugabed until seven-fifteen! :sleeping_bed: ‘Tis 52 Amurrkin out and clear with a predicted high of 84 and mostly N.O.S. for the day. Spring has returned! Cleanin’ lady will be here at ten to spiff da cave. YAY! I shall start the hunk o’ beast in the slow cooker in a while. Side matter shall be green beans, smashed N.O.T. baby carrots and rolls. Sup shall by nummy.

No plans for a Summer getaway here. We’re not much inclined to travel a lot, so this is pretty normal for us.

Now I need more caffeine and to feed rumbly tummy. Then I suppose I must purtify and look decent before cleanin’ lady arrives.

Happy Moanday Y’all!

Afternoon, mumpers! It’s reasonably bright and shiny here today. Weather app says “The sun is talking some serious trash about you behind your fucking back” and promises me 10C/50F up to 13C/55F, mostly sunny. Seems reasonable to me.

Today my music community has a sad as we lost a long-time friend, music fan, photographer and advocate for mental health at the weekend, apparently the result of a heart attack. It’s certainly been a big shock to a lot of us and Lloyd will be missed by a great many people.

I have no real plans for a summer getaway anywhere. I’ve booked a few days down in the south to visit my dad’s grave and put a bit of mum’s ashes in there. We also hope to go to Scotland to visit ‘im indoors’ family but he isn’t inclined to stay there very long so we may look at a couple of days in the Lake District on the way there and/or back. I should also give some thought to scattering the rest of mum’s ashes in Derbyshire as she wished, so although I have no plans, I ought to have some.

Finishing off staff reviews today so that is keeping me very busy as I’m usually stumped for what to say about everyone. Other than that, I have a bunch of icky Monday-type jobs that I don’t want to do. New exercise class is available online today so I have that to look forward to after irk. Right now, it’s time to consider lunch (and make something for tomorrow as I’m supposed to be on campus).

I suppose I should answer my own question. We were supposed to go on a cruise in June, but Royal Caribbean canceled it - not that we could have made it anyway, in light of FCD’s back and impending knee surgeries. So apart from going to my mom’s for Christmas in July, we’re not going anywhere till December, when we fly to LA to begin a cruise to Antarctica.

Bottom line, no summer vacation for us, except that we’re retired, so every day is vacation!! :smiley:

DH and I aren’t fond of travel, so our idea of a vacation is time off from irk with no alarm clocks going off.

It’s not healthy when you wake up with an intense case of “oh damn gotta go THERE” about your workplace, is it? The anxiety isn’t good either.

Morning all. Went to bed at a reasonable hour and work up at a reasonable (for me) time, so hopefully this will be a regular week. Need to do the Moanday minor shopping and pick up a sammich at Jersey Mike’s, and then coach soccer this afternoon, but nothing major. It’s 57F heading for 80F today, so nice weather to make up for a cool weekend.

I was planning to head out west in 2020 and that got cancelled, and while things are looking up, 2021 is still iffy (IMHO) for a major 2-3 week trip, so I’ll probably wait for 2022. Might take some ‘long weekend’ trips, never been to Vicksburg (Civil War buff) so maybe head out that way come June/July. Putting my travel money in a special account and hopefully splurge on two trips come 2022, with Antarctica to be the big 2023 trip.

OK, onward into the week. All y’all have a good Moanday.

The hockey Convention got postponed, so no trip vacation this year. And it was a short sort today.

I was actually just gonna pass out on your front lawn. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good morning, everyone. Last week was… long. Mrs Magill had picked up Squeaky’s cold, which still has her laid low, but recovering. Then she starts chemo round two Wednesday. Tonight is Fang’s spring concert. I suspect I’m going solo, like I did for the Middle School concert, since Mrs Magill is trying to avoid crowds.

The weather’s turning, so I was able to barbecue a chicken yesterday. It was delish. While I was attending the smoker, I was visited by a hummingbird. Hooray! They found the feeder. Now I get to watch Hummingbird Thunderdome during lunch.

nettie I feel you. Before I moved positions a couple of years ago, I would just sit in the parking garage and just say, “Fuck,” over and over before going in. Christ, that whole department was toxic.

We plan to go to Hilton Head, SC this summer. We can’t wait, but my nephews at 9 and 6 are still holy terrors. They both throw epic tantrums - the “throw yourself on the floor and scream” kind. My kids are familiar enough with the island that this year I’ll be able to hand them a phone while they bike around for a couple of hours as long as they stay together. My BIL uses my kids for his kids’ entertainment, so I do not expect this to go over well with him. But, there’s a beach a bike ride away and a pool across the street - I didn’t drive 13 hours to make them stay inside and play video games all day with a couple of screaming kids.

Anywho, the rant is over - up and caffeinated for the most part. Found a guy who will teach overlyboy woodworking, but he’ll have to wait until he’s older for formal training, so might have to put that on hold. Today is full of meetings and looks to be around 80F. The revenge run/waddle will need to take place outside. I shoulda done it already but I’m not a morning workout person.

If I can find the time, I will road trip myself in my mostly-functioning Subaru, to the West, from Indiana to my mom’s place in Santa Fe.

Ideally, I’d take my son along, although he’s not yet vaccinated, nor has he gotten his learner’s permit (but he’s 16). So…yeah. If/when he is road-ready, we’ll consider going. Maybe in June.

2020 and 2021 are just the year of cancelled plans. We were planning to go to Naples, Florence, and Venice last summer, but (obviously) that didn’t happen. Mrs Magill has family in Naples that we were to visit. We’ve been visiting Italy vicariously through Stanley Tucci. It’s not the same, though.

This summer, we were going to try again, but cancer. Seriously, fuck cancer.

Morning, all. Chilly and wet this morning, but later this week it’s supposed to top 90 outside. Typical Spring weather in these parts.

Summer plans actually involve a bit of travel. Mid-July one of Dee’s closest friends (and mine) and I are going to do a couple of days in Las Vegas, just to rip the bandage off a little. Go to some of our favorite places, cry some, remember a lot, then go out and find new places to eat and drink and gambol. We aren’t going to let grief and loneliness take away one of our Fun Places. If we get most of the tears out of the way in July, then the bigass Christmas party we are throwing in Dee’s honor will be a happy time. She would want that, I think.

Got most of the rest of the plants in this weekend. Lots more flowers and the last of pole beans. Also got another cherry tomato plant installed in a planter that hasn’t been used in at least 5 years. Can never have too many tomatoes.

Have a great week, everyone!

What she said. :smiley:

My family’s preferred summer activities involve stuff like camping and kayaking, which kind of have quarantining and social distancing built-in, so we were good last summer and so much the better this summer.

Over the years, we’ve noticed that most of the squirrels in our yard are black. This year, I’m seeing more grey squirrels. I wonder why that is?

My personal hypothesis is that the ‘grey squirrels’ we’re seeing are really black squirrels, only they’ve been very worried.

We had to abort an early vacation attempt to the extreme southwestern part of Oregon. One of the roads there is described as “even a light rain will render it impassible”. Showers were forecast, so cancellation happened. We may revisit it. We’ll definitely be heading out to the coast, and may make it an extended trip to cover nearly the entire thing. I think I’ll have to cancel my annual flight to see kids and grandkids again this year. Too many idiots refuse to get vaccinated or even wear masks, and I would hate to bring covid into their homes.

We went to Puerto Rico a few years ago. I grew up in San Diego, so I like warm-water lobsters. Cold water lobsters just don’t do it for me. So it was a real treat eating at Ostra Cosa in Old San Juan. Unfortunately, Puerto Rico is a very long way from NW Washington. I’ve always wanted to go to Puerto Nuevo in Baja. After discovering she likes warm-water lobsters (cold-water lobsters didn’t do anything for her), Mrs. L.A. wants to go there too. We thought about taking a vacation this October.

But… Tonka is still old, and he’s still blind. He would have to get vaccinations before we could take him to Cat Country Resort, and SWMBO doesn’t want to put hi through the trauma of going to the vet. She also worries he may die while we’re gone. It’s a relief, as I want to be with Tonka at the end, whenever the end comes.

So at most, our vacations will be overnight trips.

I can’t imagine having any proper trips away this year- I’ll probably be heading Oop North to see the parents at some stage, maybe visit some friends once I get all stabbed up, but that’s about it.

I expect to move house again in summer, but that’s not really the same.

Nothing new to report here; I’m extremely blurfy, due to being woken by unnecessarily loud people at 2 and 5.30, but that’s about as exciting as it gets.

2020 and 2021 trips to England were cancelled. It’s on for 2022 though, along with a trip to Kentucky for my favorite 3 day event. This year I might take my birthday week off and just goof around the house, but no travel.

I’m very crabby today. I’m dealing with a shoulder impingement. Been going on for about 4 weeks. I go a soft tissue worker and that is helping, but today I’m going to see my PCP so he can reassure me that this will eventually heal and that I won’t die from it.