Thinking of writing a story

Well, after reading the new Harry Potter, I have to say that although I thoroughly enjoyed it, it left me wanting more of just about everything. More questing, more mystery, more school life, more sports, more battles, and more romance (I’m a guy, shoot me…It’s disconcerting to read loads of Dean Koontz and Clive Cussler and then read a book where the most intimate physical form of male/female interaction is “snogging.”) Anyway, with all this in mind, I realized that I have been wanting to try my hand at writing my own story for a while now and never had the time. Tonight, I decided to just go for it and have some fun. The only thing I’m worried about is having it sound like a potter rip off; I’m writing it for no one but me (no famous author aspirations here) but I’d hate for it to sound like a cheesy copy to my own ears. Anyway, since this is mpsimS, and I do feel like sharing, I will write my plot outline. Please forgive my spelling and poor english; it’s 2:00 AM here and this is, after all, an outline.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions to make this story not sound trite? Thanks for any input I might get :slight_smile:

Well, to me what makes it sound cheesy is a) healing powers b) Rasputin. Rasputin, especially in the context of the supernatural has become an incredible cliche.

Whatever you do, don’t end it with 800 pages of every single character either dying or finally getting redemption or both. :slight_smile: