This Closed Thread was a Classic Snarky Opinionated SDMB Thread

That horse is already out of the barn when the OP rants about how too much activism made them lose. He could put a “should athletes be activists” thread in GD, or a “women’s national team loses game” thread in Game Room.

If the OP had wanted to rant about the USWNT’s activism, he could have done that in the Pit, without pretending that the thread was about their athletic performance (and preferably with some discussion of just what their activism is, because none of the other participants in the thread seemed to know anything about it).

If the OP had wanted to talk about their athletic performance, that would have been perfectly appropriate in the Game Room.

If anyone wants to start either of those threads, they’re welcome to.

But if the OP wants to post a political rant disguised as a sports thread so he can complain when it gets moved to the Pit because he’s pretending it was totally about the sports, that’s not a thread that fits anywhere on this board.

Politics set against a backdrop of sports belongs in P&E, GD, the Pit, or even IMHO.

I don’t know why this even needs to be discussed.

Count me in as someone who immediately saw the issue with that OP in that sub-forum.

Totally agree.

Agree with the moderation. Here’s where I would put topics:

BBQ Pit: US WNT got crushed by Sweden because they are too woke and spend too much time with activism and not soccer!

IMHO: Does the US WNT spend too much time with activism, and not enough time playing soccer?

GD: The US WNT soccer loss makes me think activism distracts athletes from their main vocation, which is their sport. Here are my cites to show that activist athletes perform worse than those that just concentrate on playing…

Game Room: Man, the US WNT got smoked by Sweden in soccer. Was it the coaching? The forwards? The defense? Let’s discuss how they can do better in the next game…

Ah, he has a history of doing this. Why not just mod note him and tell him not to do this anymore? Simpler than closing or moving his threads if he does this stuff often.

I don’t always laugh at LHoD’s posts, but when I do, I’m pretty much guaranteed to have a sip of coke in my mouth.

It’s been done several times. He even got a partial topic ban.

I’m not a sports guy, but isn’t fairly common for couch potatoes to rant about people far more athletic and skilled in a particular sport than themselves for stupid reasons?

I only clicked on the thread because it got closed so quickly. I was curious as to why. Because i have to hear ad nauseam around the water cooler about “last nights game” and “dem bums”

I do get that it was thinly veiled political post though.

Sure but rants belong in the BBQ Pit.

I don’t agree. Ranting about how bad a movie is should be in the café where at least it’s reaching the film buff audience. Same with a sports team and the Game Room.

Agree

Exactly.

This place is becoming sterile.

If it’s a full-blown rant, it doesn’t belong outside the Pit and will be moved if reported. If it’s just a gripe then no it won’t be moved but an actual rant?

You can disagree all you want but the fact is that rants go in the Pit. Those are board rules.

There is an ongoing discussion about whether the rules are optimal. Saying “it’s in the rules” misses the point.

But that’s not this thread, this thread was asking about why another thread was closed per existing rules. If you want to discuss expanding Pit conversations to other parts of the board that would be a different topic. Otherwise this is a hijack.

just for the record.

The thread should have been moved, not closed. This kind of controversial post attracts a lot of debate. Debate is good for the board.

I think moving it to the Pit would probably have worked, sure.

Agreed.