This Guy Really Takes the Fucking Cake!

Last week at work (I work at a restaurant/bar) the manager and I are watching TV behind the bar. (Hey, it’s a slow shift, and I don’t have cable at home.)

The busser walks behind the bar with a large brown bank bag–the kind that zips, for deposits, etc.–and hands it to the manager, looking confused.

The manager says, “Where’d you get this?”

The busser says, “Found it on a table.”

The manager opens it and sees about $400 in cash, an ID, and a checkbook.

Manager looks at busser and says, “Eduardo, you’re an honest man.”

Eduardo shrugs, grins, and walks away to continue his shift; manager looks at me and says, “I always knew I liked that kid, but…damn!”

He puts the bank bag in the safe in the office, and waits for someone to call about it; sure as shit, within two hours, someone does. My manager, aka Chris, tells the guy that he’ll have to identify the bag and its contents before Chris will release it.

The guy says, “Oh sure.”

Chris says, “No, I mean you need to come down here and identify it without seeing it.”

Guy is apparently annoyed about this, but he comes to the restaurant anyway, and Chris takes him into the office, shuts the door, and says, “Okay, I need you to tell me what the bag looks like and what was in it. And you need to be pretty close.”

“So you looked through my bag?” Guy says, looking outraged.

Chris blinks. “Yes. Of course. I needed to find out what was in it so I could return it to its rightful owner. Just describe it to me.”

“I don’t have time for your games,” Guy snorts. “Just give me my bag.

“Look. I am not in the habit of releasing bank bags to just anyone. I want to be absolutely sure it belongs to you. Just tell me what’s in it.”

Guy rolls his eyes and says, in a parody of okay-you-fucking-moron sing-song voice, “Let’s see here…it’s a brown bag, it’s got about four hundred dollars in cash, my ID, and a checkbook. Are you happy now?”

“What name is on the ID?”

Mine!” Guy shouts, and proceeds to tell Chris his name.

Chris had written the name down, and it matches.

“Okay, then,” Chris says amiably. “Just didn’t want to give the bag to the wrong person. Here you go.”

Guy snatches the bank bag, stands up, and snaps, “I’m just going to assume that all the money’s in here.”

Storms out of the restaurant.

Okay. Um…does anybody else see anything wrong with this? The guy was just handed back four hundred dollars in cash, his ID, and his check book…and he doesn’t even say thanks? Doesn’t even want to shake the hand of the honest young employee who turned it in? The busser who makes $4.25 an hour plus a small percentage of tips? That bank bag would’ve meant an extra month’s wages! And he’s got the nerve to be pissed that my manager just wants to make sure it’s returned to its rightful owner? He’s got the nerve to be pissed that my manager looked through his bag?

What the fuck is wrong with this asshole? Why would you accuse the very restaurant that turned your bag in of stealing its contents? What did he plan on doing if “all the money wasn’t in there?” Was he gonna sue?

WHAT A FUCKING ASSHOLE!

I’ve lost my wallet before, and no one has ever returned it. I would’ve been happy if they’d just return my ID’s and personal information, and take the money! Anytime you lose something like that, your chances of getting any of it back are pretty damn low…so wouldn’t you be grateful if someone returned it to you? And was careful enough to make sure it did belong to you before handing it over to just anyone who’d noticed it? What kind of crap is the riot act this guy read my manager?

I know that in a perfect world, “virtue would be its own reward” and all that…but damn, how hard is it to say, “Thanks for your honesty!”

Chris was so annoyed by the guy’s response that he said if he’d known the guy would be such an asshole, he would’ve kept the bank bag and given it back to Eduardo!

[sub]I doubt he really would’ve. But I understand his frustration.[/sub]

:mad:

When the asshole said his name, your manager should have jsut said, “Nope, that’s not it. Have a nice day.” What would the ungrateful prick have been able to do about it. What a shithead.

And good on that busser. The manager should give him a raise.

that guy was an asshole, but at least not everyone is.

I used to work at a movie theatre and my co-worker found a wallet with 900 cash in it. she turned it in and when the guy came back to pick it up, he gave her a hundred bucks for being so honest.

One wonders what a person would be doing with a bank bag full of cash . . . perhaps his bad attitude had something to do with paranoia . . .

[hijack]

I found $300 cash on the street a couple of weeks ago. Three crisp hundred-dollar bills. No wallet, no identifying marks, no-one in the street frantically looking for money.

I kept it.

Am i bad person?

[/hijack]

Well, not really-I mean, you had no way of proving who it belong to-I mean, even if you took out an ad saying you had the money, how would you know whose it is?

BTW, lucky you!

If the ID was in the bag, was there really a need for all of that?

The guy probably felt that Chris was wasting his time.

That’s what I was wondering. Was it a picture ID? If so, Chris was wasting his time. If not, well, then the guy was an asshole.

Good Christ. Times like these I’m glad I’m not honest. Do someone a favor and look what you get! I’m kidding of course. That guy was being a grade-A dipshit. Even if there were a photo on the ID, the guy could have pointed that out to Chris politely instead of being a jerk about it.

mhendo, no, you’re not a bad person - you had no way to know who it belonged to. What were you supposed to do, ask someone to identify by the serial numbers?

Audrey, if I had been the person who came back for the bag, I probably would have given at least $50, or even $100 if I could afford it, as a reward. What a wanker that guy was.

The guy was an asshole. And that little dot and the end of the last sentence is a period.

That made sure someone in the place didn’t call a buddy to “claim” it.

1. The guy was a prick.

2. He might have a good reason to be a prick, you never know what drives people.

3. Damn you mhendo! did those bills have ben franklins’ picture on them? were they green? did they have a buncha numbers on them? Those sound like JUST the ones I lost! :wink:

—What Would Scooby Doo?

Well, as Chris explained it, asking the guy to identify it in spite of the ID is what he calls “protocol.”

You want to cover all your bases. And anyone who’s got a problem with being over-careful, vs. just handing the bag over to anyone who happens to mention it, is what I call a Grade A Asshole.

This is the same type of guy who’d try to sue if the bag was given to anyone else on that same “oh well, you said you’re missing a bag, here, have this one!” policy he seemed to expect.

:rolleyes:

Besides which, people often don’t look too much like their ID. Compare a picture which may have been taken 3 or 4 years ago under crappy conditions to somebody who might have a beard, less/more/different color hair, glasses, and so on. For buying alcohol purposes, sure, but with $400 in the bag, it can’t hurt to be careful.

There’s never a good reason to be a prick.

That guy was such an ass. And whoever is talking about their time being wasted needs to get over themselves. If the guy just answered the freakin’ questions without pitching a hissy, it would’ve taken all of a minute and a half. :rolleyes:

I’ve lost my wallet 3 times (in a time I’d like to refer to as my “absent minded period”) and each time, someone called me and told me they found it. Now that was some damn good karma. I was always insanely grateful and although I couldn’t reward them (I would’ve been able to give them 50 cents out of the dollar I had, maybe) I answered whatever questions they had and went to get it, although one of the guys sounded really sketchy so I brought a big male friend with me. :wink:

Eduardo’s got himself some kickass karma and he should be proud. Your manager should also give him a raise.

Well, i knew there was no way for me to find or identify the person, but i did contemplate taking it to the police station in case someone had reported it missing.

The thing that stopped me was that i knew a couple of cops who worked in Sydney, Australia (where i’m from), and when small amounts of money like this got handed in, it often got split up between whoever was in the station at the time. I figured if anyone was going to benefit, it should be me. :slight_smile:

Good for the busser, good for the boss, and good for you! (And ptui to the rude – and careless! – customer!)

My own favorite lost-wallet story… I sold my old car to a dealership…and my wallet was in the glove compartment. I didn’t know that; I thought I’d just lost my wallet on the street somewhere.

After a few days, I got a call from the guy who’d bought the car. He said he was going to mail me back my wallet, but he wanted something in return.

He asked me to tell him anything that the dealer might not have about the car’s service history! (Happy smile!)

Trinopus

Audrey, remember that no good deed goes unpunished.

Looks like this guy is in the habit of leaving bags of money behind when he goes out drinking. How much do you want to bet that the next bus boy isn’t like Eduardo? Anyone care to speculate on where the next bank bag ends up?

Wha …? No takers?!?

Were I your boss, I’d have told the guy to come back with his manager in order to have another witness. It can be fun to watch assholes twist gently in the breeze.

Someone needs to buy Eduardo a lunch with all the trimmings. Employees of his caliber are absolutely priceless. Please let him know that many people admire his honesty.

Good for your young busser, and shame on that idiot for behaving that way!!!

What an ungrateful idiot. Geez!!! He gets FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS back and he has the nerve to behave that way???

Ugh.

Did you guys at least take down his name and photocopy his ID so that you can make sure his coffee’s always cold and his milk is always too warm???

This OP reminds me of a story that I read a long time ago, from the book Farmer Boy, by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Seems Almanzo (Laura Ingalls’ future husband) found a wallet that had five hundred bucks in it. This was a wad of cash back in the day…and we’re talking about the same time automobiles were new, but most folks had horses.

He turned it over to his father and his father’s friend, Mr. Paddock (he found it near the store his father’s friend, Mr. Paddock, owned). His dad knew whose it was automatically, even though there was no identification in it. He said it had to be someone who was a skinflint and didn’t trust banks…and he knew the man, from business dealings.

Sure enough, a little later, the skinflint/miser showed up wanting to know if anybody had found his wallet. The store owner said, yes, it had been found and informed him Almanzo had turned it in.

The assy old guy jumped up and down in glee, and grabbed the wallet from Mr. Paddock. He counted the money, slowly, and muttered, loud enough for everyone, including Almanzo, to hear: “Well, it’s all here. This durn boy here didn’t steal any of it.” And then reached into his coat pocket, and handed Almanzo a dime, as a reward.

Almanzo, furious and embarrassed, looked at the old bastard (only they didn’t say that in this book, of course) and said, “Here, mister…keep your dime. I can’t change it.”

I repeat this story only because it seemed so apt. Not everybody is a thief, and there are very honest people in this world. Even today.
The best part of the story is that Mr. Paddock was furious that Old Jackass even insinuated such a thing about Almanzo and demanded that he hand over $100 right-that-very-minute to the boy or “he’d see to it he did!”.

Sure wish your boss could have done it! That would have been such a perfect ending.