This movie truly rocked my world...

I don’t remember hearing thumps. Of course, it’s been awhile since I’ve seen it. Perhaps the projectionist was getting amorous with someone…??? :slight_smile:

Here it is, Opalcat.

:wink:

SPOILER!!!
Did anyone else want to cry when the neighbor was walking away after finding out Kevin Spacey wasn’t gay? I actually restrained myself and only let a tear or two trickle down… but man, if that character didn’t go from total asshole to sympathetic for me in that moment. [still didn’t excuse him, but it was very sad]

O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

Spoiler discussion:

Opal:

If nothing else (and there is so much else!) I think that movie should be required viewing JUST as a cautionary tale about WHY it is important for everyone to leaarn to accept people of every type, including alternative sexualities. Teach 'em young that it really IS ok for Billy to have two mommies. Because if you continue to have a society like the one we’ve got, you’ll continue to have self-hating psychos like that character…who wasn’t just a character, it was guys like him that killed Matthew Shepard.

And yes, I wept. I also think Chris Cooper should get an Oscar for that performance. That scene was absolutely shattering.

OpalCat, I wanted to cry thoughout the “last day of Lester” part but couldn’t. I can’t really describe why, maybe it was knowing that Lester was going to die, maybe it was when everyone and everything began to affect each other emotionally, maybe it was the fact that everything portrayed on the film was just so genuine, it hard to put into words. All I know is that everytime I think about the movie now, I start to tear up.

I loved it. Just loved it.
PLOT DIVULGANCE FORTHCOMING!! IF YOU HAVEN’T GONE TO SEE IT YET, GET YOUR ASS TO THE THEATER, PRONTO!

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Call me sick and twisted, but I WANTED Lester to get together with Angela. Sure, it was very honorable of him to back off, but…hm…I think it’s just because the idea of being with her gave him inspiration to let go of “reality” and just be free. It seemed fitting that he’d get “the prize”.

“Excrement. That is what I think of J. Evans Pritchard, PhD.” --Robin Williams, Dead Poets Society

Chris’ Homepage: Domestic Bliss

I know what you mean, Chris. But you have to look at it from Angela’s perspective, too. And that’s why it would have been wrong.

SPOILERS

Lisa, I also thought it was interesting that, when Lester realizes what is about to happen, and what is really going on with her, that he, for the first time in the movie, really becomes a father. He is able to be a dad to her in a way he apparently cannot with his own daughter, because of the emotional barriers between them.

I also was really shocked when Annette Bening slaps her daughter. Yep, that’s being a teenager–your parents expecting you to share their values and being dismissive of your life’s problems, calling you “ungrateful.” Man, I lived that with my mother.

“Argue with what I said, not what you think or hope I said.” - Me