This Week's Darwin Award Entry

Parachutist Dies in Protest Jump
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. (AP) — A parachutist plunged to her death off Yosemite’s most forbidding peak Friday during a protest of park rules banning such jumps.

Jan Davis, 60, was the fourth of five jumpers in the protest, which was organized in response to the June 9 drowning death of a jumper who sucessfully parachuted off El Capitan, only to drown in the river below while trying to flee rangers.

``The first four were beautiful. And then she jumped. Everybody thought it was OK, and then people said ‘Open up! Open up!. Then we heard a splat and the whole place turned quiet,’’ said Paul Sakuma, an Associated Press
photographer.

Davis, of Santa Barbara, Calif., fell to the base of 3,200-foot El Capitan, and rangers quickly cordoned off the area.

The danger of the extreme sport of jumping off cliffs, buildings and other stationary objects led the National Park Service to ban such jumps. Nationwide, an estimated 21 people have died jumping this way in the last 20 years.

Called BASE jumping, the acronym comes from ``Building, Antenna, Span, Earth.’’

BASE jumping was legal in the park for a trial period in 1980, but restrictions on when people could jump and the number of jumps per day were routinely violated, so the activity was banned.

Tim
“My hovercraft is full of eels.”

kind of gives new meaning to go fly a kite doesnt it?

We are, each of us angels with only one wing;
and we can only fly by
embracing one another

I think she made a valid point, even if it wasn’t hers.

Only humans commit inhuman acts.

Where’s that Darwins Awards thread again…?

Yer pal,
Satan

3,200 feet. . . let’s see, at 32 feet per second squared, someone jumping from the top would reach the bottom in about 14 seconds (distance = 1/2 * acceleration * time^2). Definately not something I’d try.
– Sylence

And now, for my next trick, I will talk in spooky half-references.

Oh My GOD
21 people in 20 years! That is almost 1 person per year! I bet qwe have more people die from roller coaster accidents per year.
WHERE is MY LAWYER!!!

Well, I won’t quote any boring stats, but with 250 skydives (I’m a lightweight) I have enough backround to say that base jumping does not qualify for a Darwin award. Besides, it’s really cool,
Larry

What I wanna know is, did her reserve chute malfunction? I heard on the news that she was a retired stuntperson; you’d think she’d know enough to pull the reserve cord. Anyone see the footage of the guy yelling, “I am not a criminal!” after he landed?

Remember, I’m pulling for you; we’re all in this together.
—Red Green

I’m sorry, but that article is pretty damn funny.

Real life irony. Gotta love it.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.