This year I'm flying a Union Jack

Nope, haven’t a clue.

So if I only knew for sure that my hometown celebrated Christmas then Christmas would be “December 25th is a traditional <my hometown> celebration”?

Or would it still be (in general terms) a global tradition meaning that I was wrong when I said it was a tradition only of my hometown?

(here’s the part where people go on about x% of the world not celebrating Christmas and I wish I hadn’t bothered saying anything in the first place. Semantics, who needs them? :slight_smile: ).

As for the OP - remember that although the union flag at first glance looks symmetrical it can be hung upside down by accident.

Others have posted regarding the construction of jello salad. Permit me, if you will, to opine regarding the precise nature of jello salad. It is, perhaps, the most foul thing ever created by man or beast. The only thing worse than a fresh mold of jello salad is a plate of picked over jello salad, where someone has picked out all the fruity bits and just left a mish mash of jello, whipped cream, mayonnaise, etc.

This has nothing to do with the fact that, the first time my mom made red jello salad, my sister told me that it was guts.

Bloody hell, you can’t win, can you? If I’d said Nov 5th was a ‘British tradition’, I’d be very wrong, because there’s places where it certainly isn’t in favour.

(And don’t forget that 25th December isn’t a global date for Christmas :stuck_out_tongue: )

What places?
Seriously, I’m intrigued.
My knowledge of English counties is non-existent so for all I know people from Devon refuse to participate in any Fawkes burning.

Who said English places? You’re the one objecting to that interpretation of ‘British’ in the first place! I doubt you could whip up much enthusiasm for it in South Armagh, for instance. All I was doing was being careful about not saying things that I didn’t mean, and you’re complaining I didn’t say things I did mean. :confused:

You know, I just learned something about Harry Potter. Go figure…

Me neither.

I think roger thornhill is trying to make a variation on the old Scottish gripe that 'when a Scottish athlete loses a race, the English media call them “Scottish” - if they win a race, they’re “British”.

Funnily enough, they never have evidence to back up this tedious whine.

When we lived in England, we would go to the local base for the 4th of July: it was an RAF base kind of “leased” to the DoD, but they did a bang-up job with burgers and fireworks and everything. :slight_smile:

Ours did! Our neighborhood was a bunch of cul-de-sacs, and the cul-de-sac (or “close”) next to ours always sported a big bonfire every November 5th.

You can use canned pineapple, but not fresh pineapple.
The latter will keep it from setting.
The former is just an abominable addition to green Jell-O. shudder

Jell-O salads are, IMO, horrible. Haven’t tried one I’ve liked - and I’ve been made to try many. The worst is when the creator has put in crunchy things, or something cloudy like mayonnaise, cottage cheese or ricotta which obscures what other things have been added. Seriously, where is the pukey smiley?

OMG - and who thought up adding green bell pepper? ::barf::

So it’s sort of homogenised trifle?

All I meant was that if you told me that there were certain areas of England that didn’t participate on 05/11 then I would accept that, just as I’m perfectly wiling to accept that some areas of Wales have no truck with it. I pretty much guessed that certain areas of NI wouldn’t have anything to do with it but that’s hardly a surprise and you could argue that the people in NI that don’t celebrate Guy Fawkes night probably don’t even see themselves as British anyway.

Anyway, just because some people in Northern Ireland might not involve themselves doesn’t negate the fact that the tradition is British not English.

In your care to say things that you didn’t mean you said something that was, IMO, inaccurate. Which is what I now wish I hadn’t bothered doing.
In fact, I shouldn’t even be posting this reply as I’ve taken the whole thing off topic enough.

We do the Halloween thing here in a big way. Bonfires etc.

Irish immigrants were one of the reasons the US have such a big Halloween thing going on.

Doh! the full post should have been.

I could be even nit pickier and say that the official title is Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So NI is part of the UK but not Britain :stuck_out_tongue:

We do the Halloween thing here in a big way. Bonfires etc. Irish immigrants were one of the reasons the US have such a big Halloween thing going on.

Dunno. Is trifle edible?

Yes. It’s made from jelly (jello), cake, fruit, custard, cream, etc. Very edible.

Yuck. Jello in trifle is just wrong, because I grew up having it with jam.

I’m with Ginger! Trifle is cake, something fruity (jam is easiest), and custard. You can drizzle sherry (or brandy or rum) over the cake first and top with whipped cream, if you like. No Jello!