[QUOTE=John Mace]
And the OP lists himself as being from England.
Yep, it’s an accent, and you’ll just have to get used to it. It’s nuffink, really.
[/QUOTE]
Sure but chowder is from Manchester. There’s a world of difference between a Mancunian accent and a south London accent. That said I can’t think why he’s pitting his friend.
[QUOTE=Chez Guevara]
Sure but chowder is from Manchester. There’s a world of difference between a Mancunian accent and a south London accent. That said I can’t think why he’s pitting his friend.
Unless Thomas is a Chelsea supporter.
[/QUOTE]
Matter of fact Thomas supports Man Utd, me being a Blue may have summink to do wiv it.
Dominic He isn’t my son.
I wish I’d never started this fred, I feel a right tater now
[QUOTE=Revenant Threshold]
It’s a pretty common South London accent.
[/QUOTE]
Don’t you mean “Sarff Lunnen”?
[QUOTE=bright]
I didn’t know English came in colors now.
[/QUOTE]
You can’t have been paying close attention, then.
In the US, there is a Black English = African American English.
In the UK, there are distinct dialects derived from West Indian English (i.e., from West Indies, not from the west of India), and from South Asian English (Bangladesh, India, Pakistan). Given how much immigration there has been from those regions, those dialects – associated with people with black or brown skins – are very common.
And in Australia and New Zealand, Aboriginal English and Maori English are also distinct dialects.
[QUOTE=Miller]
He should move to America, where we don’t know from British accents. We can’t tell the difference between the Queen Mum and a Cockney fishwife. It all sounds classy to us.
[/quote]
Basically. What the OP is calling lazy, folks over here would call quaint and cool.
I’ve gotta say, I don’t find it quaint or cool. I adore British accents, almost any accent for that matter, but what I’m hearing in my mind when I read the OP’s examples doesn’t sound like any British accent I’m familiar with. It brings to mind the sound of a small child who can’t speak correctly yet. Nothing cute about that. Maybe I *have * heard it and didn’t perceive it the way the OP does? Can anyone give an example of a character from a movie or something that speaks that way?
[QUOTE=WOOKINPANUB]
Can anyone give an example of a character from a movie or something that speaks that way?
[/QUOTE]
Try Ray Winstone or Vinnie Jones in any gangster flick.
It’s London dialect. I was brought up to think it “common”, but I’d doing my best to acknowledge that it’s just another accent.
[QUOTE=WOOKINPANUB]
I’ve gotta say, I don’t find it quaint or cool. I adore British accents, almost any accent for that matter, but what I’m hearing in my mind when I read the OP’s examples doesn’t sound like any British accent I’m familiar with. It brings to mind the sound of a small child who can’t speak correctly yet. Nothing cute about that. Maybe I *have * heard it and didn’t perceive it the way the OP does? Can anyone give an example of a character from a movie or something that speaks that way?
[/QUOTE]
Danny Blue on Hu$tle.
But it doesn’t always sound like it’s there - unless it does.
[QUOTE=chowder]
I like you Thomas I really do but your speech is fucking atrocious.What is more your continued lazy way of speaking is seriously hampering your chances with the fair sex as they don’t seem to want to associate with you because of this.
You are a decent sort, quite good looking and very generous, your speech is letting you down old pal.This could be the reason why you can’t find a job, why after each interview you have results in a “Thanks, we’ll let you know”…they always do even to say thanks (not FANKS) for attending but sorry we’ve found someone else more suited.
The following is a short list of words which you can’t seem to pronounce and it is really getting on my nerves.
THOUGHT not fawt
THING not fing
NOTHING not nuffink
BREATH not breff
[QUOTE=Miller]
He should move to America, where we don’t know from British accents. We can’t tell the difference between the Queen Mum and a Cockney fishwife. It all sounds classy to us.
[/QUOTE]
Bullshit. You’ve never heard Kat Slater on EastEnders, have you? Classy is not the word I’d use to describe it.
[QUOTE=Miller]
He should move to America, where we don’t know from British accents. We can’t tell the difference between the Queen Mum and a Cockney fishwife. It all sounds classy to us.
[/QUOTE]
Exactly. We’re so dense, we watch My Fair Lady and can’t tell what all the fuss is! “Huh? She sounds the same to me!”
We should get some Brit Dopes to record them speaking online - see if we can educate our friends across the Atlantic on where the different accents come from. We’re not all either cockney or posh gits.