Wheear 'as ta bin sin ah saw thee,
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?!
Wheear 'as ta bin sin ah saw thee?
Wheear 'as ta bin sin ah saw thee?
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?!
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?!
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?!
Tha’s been a cooartin’ Mary Jane
On Ilkla Moor baht ‘at
Tha’s been a cooartin’ Mary Jane
Tha’s been a cooartin’ Mary Jane
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
Tha’s bahn t’catch thi deeath o’cowd
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
Tha’s bahn t’catch thi deeath o’cowd
Tha’s bahn t’catch thi deeath o’cowd
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
[QUOTE=Dead Badger]
I’m struggling to think of a suitable US analogy. Perhaps think going to a high-level programming interview and saying stuff like “Eeeehh, yer bustin’ my balls here! Fuhgeddabahdit!” and so forth. But even that doesn’t quite work.
[/QUOTE]
Axe for ask. A strange one, considering that I haven’t heard those who say it use tax for task, max for mask and so on. But it’s seems to be a regional thing, I rarely hear it this far north. Only when I visit the south or midwest, or from those originally from those areas.
Another one might be the habit of dropping the ending G and sometimes the T in a contraction (nothin’ somethin’ or doan for don’T etc). And I find duct tape impossible to say and pronounce both t’s without making a (to me) VERY silly sounding and awkward pause between the two words, but that’s just me.
[QUOTE=Chez Guevara]
Wheear 'as ta bin sin ah saw thee,
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?!
Wheear 'as ta bin sin ah saw thee?
Wheear 'as ta bin sin ah saw thee?
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?!
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?!
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at?!
Tha’s been a cooartin’ Mary Jane
On Ilkla Moor baht ‘at
Tha’s been a cooartin’ Mary Jane
Tha’s been a cooartin’ Mary Jane
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
Tha’s bahn t’catch thi deeath o’cowd
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
Tha’s bahn t’catch thi deeath o’cowd
Tha’s bahn t’catch thi deeath o’cowd
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
On Ilkla Moor baht 'at
[/QUOTE]
Where have you been since I last saw you
On Ilkley Moor without my hat
(repeat)
You’ve been courting Mary Jane
On Ilkley Moor without your hat
Repeat
You’re bound to catch your death of cold
On Ilkley Moor without your hat.
[QUOTE=sturmhauke]
I was wondering about that excerpt from Canterbury Tales that Chez Guevara posted.
[/QUOTE] Wi’ t’month of April allus blubberin’ wi’ rain
Comin’ after t’March dry as chuffin’ bone
All t’veins get wet wi’ flippin’ silin’ down
And helps t’plants wi’ growin’
‘Appen whan t’west wind blows
It’s fuckin’ cold sithee.
[QUOTE=chowder]
Where have you been since I last saw you
On Ilkley Moor without my hat
(repeat)
You’ve been courting Mary Jane
On Ilkley Moor without your hat
Repeat
You’re bound to catch your death of cold
On Ilkley Moor without your hat.
Repeat.
[/QUOTE]
‘e’s courtin’ withou’ ‘is bleedin’ 'at? Cor blimey! 'e’s a right chump, that one.
Or something like that. Much as I adore UK, I am at a loss in identifying the accents. I think I can ID Liverpool, and Cockney…and posh (whatever it’s called) and RP. Hell, I get Irish and Scots mixed up (please don’t rescind my passport based on this).
As to the rest of them-I don’t hear any of them often enough to be able to differentiate. You all can help me in my quest to become more educated. Send me money to fly over and I’ll study really hard…