Top three:
Small Gods
Making Money
Lords and Ladies
At the bottom:
The Light Fantastic
The Colour of Magic
Pyramids

Small Gods gets a boost due to the fact that I read both The Light Fantastic and The Colour of Magic when they were first released and was kind of “meh”. Then a decade later I picked up Small Gods and was stunned by how much better a writer he was, or maybe how much better a reader I was. I’d actually discarded the first two and had to go back and repurchase them. They were still kind of “meh”.

Top Three:
Night Watch
Guards! Guards!
The Truth

Least Favorite:
Eric
The Color of Magic
Equal Rites

I really liked Monstrous Regiment. :frowning:

This is a really tough call…

Favourite:

Night Watch
Thief of Time
Going Postal

And least favourite:

The Light Fantastic
Sourcery
Pyramids

**Top Discworld:
**Small Gods
Night Watch
*Thud! (*which only just edges out TAMAHER)
**Top Non-Discworld:
**Good Omens
Johnny And The Dead
The Unadulterated Cat

Least:
Moving Pictures
[del]Faust[/del]Eric!
Equal Rites

And I like the least of those (Eric!) very much indeed.

So did I.

Favorite:
Night Watch
Thud!
Hogfather
(or any of the Guards/Captain Carrot/Angua/Simes/genre)
especially, Is That My Cow?

Least Favorite:
Pyramids
Rincewind anything
The Last Continent esp.
Good Omens

Favorite:
A Hat Full of Sky
Night Watch
Small Gods
Least Favorite:
Eric
Pyramids
Colour of Magic

I don’t want to derail the topic, but I would like to ask a question. I haven’t read much Pratchett. And by “much” I mean probably 6 of the, what? 40 + books he’s written. But I’m trying to take the Discworld in a semblance of order.

Anyway, it seems as if the consensus from this thread is that Pyramids is a crappy book whereas the next in line Guards! Guards! is one of his best. So if I skip Pyramids, will I miss much from the overall universal story arc? For that matter, if make a habit of going in order but skipping the subpar books in general, how much will I miss out on?

Favourite:
Sourcery
Interesting Times
The Fifth Elephant

Runner up goes to the Dark Side of the Sun

Least favourite:
Monstrous Regiment (the only Pterry book I couldn’t finish)
The Last Continent (seriously, what the fuck happened in that book? And what an awful send off for Rincewind)
The Night Watch (aka when Pterry officially disappeared up his own arse)

Faves:
Thief of Time
Carpe Jugulum
Thud

Least Faves (but still not bad):
Color of Magic
Light Fantastic
Eric

Favorite:
Reaper Man
Jingo
Hogfather

Least:
Thief of time
Carpe Jugulum
any others with the witches. Not bad books, just not into thier characters as much.

Ands since there is a contrroversy as to whether or not it counts: Much love to Good Omens.

You wouldn’t miss anything at all. “Pyramids” is one of the “stand-alone” books. That also goes for “Small Gods”, most of “Monstrous Regiment”, among others. They may feature recognizable characters from other books but mostly they are outside the story arcs, if you want to call them that.

Who’d’ve guessed those? SQUEAK!

My top three:
Guards! Guards!
Lords and Ladies
Hogfather
Bottom three (never re-read :eek:)
Colour of Magic
Light Fantastic
Eric
Good Omens would be in the top three if it counted (they should have found a way to use both their versions of Death).

I should answer the OP, too. (Disclaimer: I’ve only read fifteen or so Discworld novels – haven’t read many of the early books, or many involving the Witches or Rincewind.)

Favorites
Going Postal
Night Watch
The Truth
(Monstrous Regiment is fourth)
Least Favorite
Lords and Ladies
Moving Pictures
Maskerade

There isn’t really a universal story arc to the Discworld in the first place. You can skip just about any novel, and not mess up your enjoyment of the next book. Pyramids in particular doesn’t feature any characters (other than Death) that show up in any other books, so it’s not a bad idea to skip it to get to Guards! Guards! and then just go back and read it later. It’s not that bad a book, really.

How could I forget about Thief of Time!? It’s where I got my username from!

Oh, Gods. I had forgotten about Eric. That’s definitely way down my list. Off the top of my head, with no deep consideration given:

Top Three (no particular order)
Monstrous Regiment
Guards, Guards
The Truth

Bottom Three
Hogfather
Jingo
Eric

And I’m surprised** Bill Door **didn’t list Reaper Man as a favorite for the same reason.:stuck_out_tongue:

My favorites:

Night Watch
Lords & Ladies
Wee Free Men
(4th: Soul Music)

Least favorites:

Maskerade (I didn’t bother finishing the last 3 chapters)
Colour of Magic
Sourcery

Favorites:

Night Watch
Witches Abroad
Last Continent (mostly because it was my first, and got me hooked.)

Least favorite:

Monstrous Regiment
Jingo
The Fifth Elephant