Favourite Discworld book.

Vote for your favourite…

Woohoo! Small Gods leads the pack!

For about a second!

Damn hard to choose. I picked Night Watch just because it has such a gripping story, and because I like Vimes.

Close seconds: Small Gods, A hat full of sky, and Thief of time. ETA: and Reaper Man.

Me too. Same reasons. Vimes is awesome. He’s the man.

You forgot Nanny Ogg’s Cookbook!

But I’ve read too few and too long ago to be able to vote.

Was that a ‘standard’ novel? I’ve deliberately excluded the ‘spin-off’ type books, like Science of Discworld and so on.

ETA: quotes are intended to convey the fact that I couldn’t think of a better word or name.

Glad to see “Small Gods” leading the pack. That was my intro to Discworld and I absolutely loved it.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be a mixed blessing, because the next couple I read, “The Colour of Magic” and “Mort”, were a big disappointment in comparison, so I abandoned the series for several years.

Thank Gods that I finally decided to give Discworld another try just last year because I’ve fallen in love with most of the other titles, particularly the City Watch books.

“Small Gods” is still my favourite but anything featuring Sam Vimes or Moist Van Lipwig are close runner-ups.

Nobody likes my favourite, Maskerade. It will be stuck on one vote, I’m sure.

Reaper Man was my intro to the series, and the one I voted for in this poll. DEATH is one of my favourite characters, and much of what I read in Reaper Man made the rest of the books that much funnier.

Definitely “Night Watch”. “Small Gods” would be my second choice, followed by a three-way tie between “The Wee Free Men” and “The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents” and “Wyrd Sisters”

Don’t make me choose!

OK, I choose Feet of Clay.

The Truth (which I have just finished reading). It’s a good take on the standards of modern journalism and the fact that some readers will believe anything because “I read it in the paper”.

Second on the list would be Jingo, mainly because of this:-

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do the bad things.

You left off Nation, which I thought was rather good for a one-off.

I went with Night Watch but I’m surprised that Lords & Ladies isn’t getting more play. Granny Weatherwax is titanic.

It’s not a Discworld book.

It would have been a lot easier to choose my favorite half dozen or so Discworld books. :slight_smile:

I went with Wyrd Sisters because I’ve probably read that one the most times. Of all the Discworld books I own, it’s also the one I’m most likely to lend to someone who’s interested in the series.

But if the only criteria were which Discworld book do I most enjoy reading, it might as easily have been Lords and Ladies, Maskerade, Small Gods, Feet of Clay, The Fifth Elephant, or Night Watch. I also have special affection for Soul Music since it’s the first Discworld book I ever read.

FTR I was very tempted to make it multiple-choice. But I thought people would click too many books and it would get messy. I figured this way we’d be able to establish a clear idea of most popular books (and in doing so give newcomers an idea of which book(s) they should definitely read)

Well, I’m a newcomer and have only read 6 or 7 Discworld books so far, but I voted anyway (for Making Money, ftr; it was close between this and The Colour of Magic).

Night Watch is in the lead at the moment, and I while I definitely understand why and could easily have voted for it myself, I don’t know that I’d recommend that one to a newcomer.

In some ways I can see it being a good first Discworld book, especially for someone who doesn’t read much fantasy, because the time-travel element is the only major fantasy element. Recurring Watch series characters like Carrot, Nobby, Angua, Cheery, etc., also have minimal involvement in the story, so a new reader wouldn’t be confused trying to work out their relationships (or species). But I don’t think someone could fully appreciate Night Watch unless they were familiar with Vimes as a character.

They’re all fun, but I picked Men At Arms. All the books from The Colour of Magic to The Fifth Elephant have this goofy Asterix & Obelix feel to them, and Men At Arms captures this best. I’m a big fan of those books that show off Ankh-Morpork the most, too.