Three Friends, Two Sexes, One Question

You have a certain talent for this kind of thing don’t you? :slight_smile:

I might be weird but I’d rather my girl would leave me for one of my friends than a stranger. As long as it’s not something that continuously happens behind my back, it’s just easier to handle self-esteem wise, it is easy to understand that those qualities that make that person your friend will also make them appealing. You’ve already admitted to yourself that this person is a good person or they wouldn’t be your friend.

You need to find better friends. I know plenty of guys who enjoy shooting the breeze.

Well I am not comfortable shooting the breeze with fellow heterosexual males.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks. I’ve been known to make Pablo Francisco-inspired movie preview jokes from time to time. It’s better in person, where I can affect a Movie Preview Guy voice and use that cliched dramatic timing.

It’s one guy who does the previews for every single Hollywood film, and I’ve heard he nails them in one take every single time.

**He’s a badass…

with a heart of gold.**

Are you that guy that sits at the end of the bar, sulking, and refuses to join in the conversation?

Not really, but that’s a social setting. Do you call you friends and talk to them the same way you would talk in a bar :confused:

It still works well written. The voice, and the movie preview format, are so well known that it is easy for the reader to put the right voice and pacing to the posts.

Too simplistic really. Of course I only call when there is a motive, but I have been known to chat with a guy friend for like an hour. Of course I live in Columbia, Mo and he lives in KC, and I only visit KC once a month or so. Typically we talk about guy things, movies, music, cars and computers. Nothing gay about an hour long phone conversation.

1. Man, I KNEW you were riffing on Pablo - and ten million thanks for giving credit to him.

2. I think you’re thinking of Don LaFontaine. If you can find the “5 Men” video on his site, it’s hilarious - a short involving him and the other 4 most-worked voice men in Hollywood. He’s the “In a world…” guy.

3. I agree with the people who are giving big :confused: to kambuckta. I text people because I feel like communicating, it’s not as intrusive as a phone call, and it’s mad cheap. If the only reason YOU would text someone of the opposite sex (while you were involved) is to arrange clandestine meetings, it says a hell of a lot more about you than the OP.

Examples of two recent phone calls.

•My brother was waiting for a concert to begin, and called me on his cell phone to fill the time. We talked about the music he was going to hear, then about an upcoming trip he was going on, then about a playhouse he had constructed for his children, then about our mother and our brother, then about the merits of a legal case he was involved in (he’s a lawyer). Close to an hour call.

• I e-mailed a friend of many years to thank him for a letter of recommendation he wrote for me, because it helped me win a scholarship I had applied for. When he got the e-mail, he called me to talk more about the scholarship. After we got done talking about that, we talked about the status of the boat he bought (and was invited to help him rehab it), about the new sideline business he started up, the recent misfortunes of a politician we knew. All told, about a 40-minute call.

In my world, the whole thing is a total non-issue. My SO and I have a group of friends that we have known for almost 20 years. Some are in couples, some are single. Talking, dinner, movies, going out to a show, heck, even crashing at someone elses place for the night because it’s more convenient. None of it’s a problem.

I love and trust my SO, and my friends. I like to believe the reverse is true. It’s all about the trust.

I think it says more about your use of text messaging than anything else. Like Kambuckta, I only ever use SMS for short messages such as “I’m here” (at the airport, pick me up), “Arrived safe at [location], call tonight”, or “party at Bob’s, see you there.” If I was sending a lot of texts to a female friend it would be suspicious activity (I’d either be arranging a lot of meetings, or just chatting–which is out of character.) Obviously not necessarily suspicious for other people though.

I have a couple friendship like that. I am still friends with a guy I went to school with over 15 years ago, he got married and I became friends with his wife so much so that five years ago she and I spent about a week in London sightseeing where we stayed at my grandmothers house. He didn’t want to go. He did not have a problem with it, she did not have a problem with it, now his mother, she did have a problem with it. She probably thinks we had an affair. My friends wife and I sometimes have more in common as we share a common profession.