Thrilling Books.

Which book would you say is the best psychological thriller you’ve ever read? I’m desperately looking for a good book to read.

I’m not sure if they’re psychological thrillers, but there’s psychology in them and they’re thrillers – Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris.

TIGER IN THE SMOKE by Margery Allingham, from 1952. An oldie but goodie. It suffers a little because Allingham’s hero detective, Albert Campion, is the incidental character, but it’s still brilliantly written and very gripping.

By definition, the term psychological thriller covers a lot of ground in different genres. Are you also interested in good old page-turners?

If so, let me recommend Marcus Sakey. He’s up-and-coming (only four novels) but he’s getting better and better. I haven’t read his first, but his last two (Good People and The Amateurs) were fun reads. I’m a sucker for ordinary people thrust into extraordinary situation scenarios. Fun stuff.

Another vote for Thomas Harris. I slept with a firearm under the bed after reading Red Dragon. :slight_smile:

If a turn of the century psychological thriller sounds like your cup of tea, I would highly recomend The Alienist by Caleb Carr. I reread once a year, then give the copy to someone who hasn’t had the pleasure. You won’t regret picking this up.

I second The Alienist. Great book!
And if turn-of-the-century psychological thrillers thrill you, try The Prestige by Christopher Priest. Don’t worry if you’ve seen the movie - knowing the ending didn’t ruin the reading experience for me at all. It’s a truely original book.