Throwing good money after bad (minor)

Seems that our congress critters have decided that changing the design of the latest dollar coin will improve its acceptance.

Link

I have nothing against a dollar coin and have used them when they’ve come into my possession.

But seriously, is there any possible way a dollar coin is going to become widely used without first discontinuing the dollar bill?

It’s the same monumental obstacle that caused the failure of the earlier Susan B Anthony coin and the 2 dollar bill. There’s just no incentive to change.

So quit wasting our money designing an minting currency that’s just going to pile up in a warehouse somewhere. Or if you’re going to do it, don’t do a half assed job of it.

I’d pit the morons who decide that every dollar coin they get is someday going to be worth millyuns and sock them away somewhere, effectively taking them out of circulation.
a. Fanatic collectors=less circulation
b. Less circulation=greater likelihood of discontinuation
c. Greater likelihood of discontinuation=mint trying again
d. Go to step a

I think they should just yank the dollar bill and the penny unceremoniously. They’re the dang government; they shoudn’t be engaging in marketing or asking what people want. They should grow a pair and put out what is best and fuck every little whiny assed fuck who complains. They should also make collecting coins that are still in circulation illegal. Those fucking coin collecting jackoffs are communist subversives, the lot of them.

And before someone else points it out, yes, the SBA dollar was poorly designed in that it was so easily mistaken for a quarter. But even if it had been designed without that flaw it would have failed for the reasons stated in the OP.

I’d personally like to see them bring back the old Eisenhower dollar coins. There’s something I find quite satisfying about holding one (or even better, a whole stack of them). They’re heavy (for coins) and they sound nice when they clank against each other. They’ve always represented real money to me. This is what I also like about fifty-cent pieces. I wish there were more of these in circulation.

Put me down for the exact opposite of this in every way.

A second vote for exact opposite. I hate coins - I much prefer paper.

The fact the Ike dollar coins were heavy was the reason they were discontinued. I have nothing against a smaller and lighter dollar coin per se but does the government have to keep making them quarter-sized? Why not, for example, make them roughly the same size as the old JFK fifty-cent piece but perhaps a bit thinner like a dime?

Or make them into little tuna cans, like pound coins.

They could make them a different shape. In the UK we have the 50 pence coin which has always been popular, worth about the same as a dollar and easy to distinguish from other coins.

I like dollar coins. Occasionally, to help circulate them, I will ask my bank for some. Nine times out of then, our dialogue runs as follows:

Dr. Drake: May I have ten of the dollar coins, please?
Washington Mutual Teller: We don’t carry those.
Dr. Drake: But you’re a bank. Why not, and where would I go?
Washington Mutual Teller: We just don’t have them. I think you can get them in the post office vending machines.

I also note that they never, ever get offered as change, even when I can see them in the tills. I can understand that some people prefer bills to coins, but I don’t understand the weird aversion people have (or the hatred for pennies, though I agree eliminating one-cent coins makes sense).

As to the OP: spot on.

I disagree. I think that the major problem is not being able to tell them from quarters.

I’ve talked to many people who wouldn’t mind going to dollar coins, but they hated the Susan B. and they hated the Sacagawea because they were afraid they’d lose too much money getting the coins confused. The Sacagawea was only slightly better than the Susan B.

I will, however, agree with your premise that they’re idiots for continuing to do the same thing over and over, vaguely hoping it will work this time.

Quit pandering to the vending machine lobby and make some decent dollar coins!

Why does eliminating the one cent coin make sense? Not trying to start an argument (or even a debate), I am just curious as to the reasoning behind this.

You can’t buy anything useful with the penny. Inflation has made it virtually worthless.

That’s what I said originally.

I had pretty much the same experience when I was trying to get a couple of rolls to preload a piggy bank for a baby shower. You’d think I was trying to find the crown jewels. I finally did manage to score two rolls at a bank in a supermarket. And this was in Houston of all places.
I did have some fun with the Sacagawea dollars later though. I still had some left over when I went to see Pirates III so when the girl gave me the total for the tickets I dumped a handful of coins into the money slot. The sound and the gold color was a perfect replica of gold dubloons.

I was mostly kidding…

I do think the penny is kind of wasteful, though…

I’d like to see us have all kinds of coins and bills in different colors; our money is so drab!

A president grabbing a hooker’s ass while giving a cheeky wink would liven things up!
Give the people what they want!

Hee!

Now this idea I can get behind. They are sloooooowly introducing color to our bills, but drab colors. Let’s get some blues and pastels in there. And as noted upthread, there is no reason coins have to be round. I really enjoyed the British coins I picked up the last time I was there. They had character.

In my understanding, it now costs more than 1¢ worth of metal to make a penny. Besides that, there is vanishingly little that you can buy for 4¢ or less. From the founding of the USA until comparatively recently, neither of those statements were true, but inflation has taken its toll on the poor penny. It costs money to keep it in circulation, and it doesn’t add much value. I like them and I use them and I pick them up and keep them when I see them on the ground, and I’d add a healthy dash of tradition and nostalgia, but as I understand it the main argument for ditching our little copper* buddy is economic. The counter-arguments seem to be appeals to tradition and fears that wily merchants would round everything up. I don’t feel strongly either way.

*zinc