Thumb-sucking among teen girls?

His THUMB right?
He sucks his thumb while he’s asleep?

Why is that?

Some “club drugs” cause the users to clench their teeth tightly which causes discomfort. The pacifier or even thumb sucking helps eliminate this discomfort.

God! As if being a meth addict wasn’t indignity enough.

Lifelong thumbsucker here. Esp. when I’m tired or reading. I can manage to not do it in front of my kids, but I suspect my husband’s caught me once or twice. We don’t mention it.

You’d be surprised how teased I wasn’t in school. The grown-ups always said I would be, and used that as justification for some pretty horrible aversion therapies (which all failed - except that I can no longer suck my right thumb, only my left), but the kids never mentioned it except to express genuine and gentle concern for my well-being. (“Are you sad?”, most commonly.) I think I stopped doing it at school in about fourth grade anyway.

For those saying it’s a “fad”, do you mean it’s a popular thing to do, or it’s a phase a lot of middle schoolers go through? Do you have any articles or news reports or anything that discusses this fad?

A-freakin’-men! I have a niece who suffers from that problem, for that reason.

What ever happened to the good old days? Back in my day, the “cool” middle schoolers picked their noses. The only excuse for inserting one’s thumb into one’s mouth was to make the booger disappear. Damn kids. Get offa my lawn! Saliva-covered thumbs–ewwww!

Yes, I’m a man, and having subbed for about two years now, I know the doe-eyed, sweet-and-pouty routine very well. The thumb-sucking in these cases (after a reprimand) appears not to be part of that routine, but a personal comforting/reassurance thing.

I’m not sure it’s that simple.

This slate.com article (granted, it’s fingernail biting, but an equally difficult to cure compulsion) suggests it’s harder than you think to just “discipline” someone out of an oral fixation.

I’m actually in middle school, and I must say, what are you guys talking about? I’ve never seen any of this. Thumbsucking, toddler stuff, none of it.

Sounds to me like the girls might be sucking on more than just thumb