Thus ends college for me

I turned in my final paper a half hour ago. I don’t have anything else to do. That’s it, until graduation on the 17th, and then it’s all over.

And boy does this feel weird. I want to go to graduate school, but I’m taking a year off to study and retake the GRE, as well as get some experience and such for my applications. The idea of not being in school, even if just for a year, feels odd. It will be the first time in 17 years I can’t say “I’m a student.”

I’m glad this semester is over. I enjoyed my substance abuse class, learned a lot in my experimental psych class and I started volunteering at the Texas Runaway Hotline. I just wish it didn’t have to end. I genuinely enjoy school.

Stop it…you’re scaring me! I’ll be graduating from community college in a few weeks (though I still got 2 more years to go in State) and personally cannot wait until school is over so I can finally not have to worry about studying/tests/papers/etc. but your statement makes me worry that once I get my BA I’ll have this frightening emptiness because I’ve spent so much of my life in school and it will finally be over

Congratulations to both of you! I took a year off after I graduated college, and basically just futzed about while applying to graduate schools. It was actually a great decision, because I realized while working a crap retail job that I truly loved school, and loved learning and didn’t want to be working the kind of job I had. Chances are, taking the time off will ultimately make you long to go back to school, and you’ll be tons motivated and excited.

I remember being a janitor after I graduated college, and on Thursdays, when I would take the garbage out to the curb, I would see all the students going to class. I realized how much I missed being a student. That was nearly a decade ago, but I haven’t been back to school, yet. I need to just buckle down and go to the U and sign up for class.

I miss the learning, and I miss the people.

:frowning:

rubes

I’ll never forget the feeling of freedom I had when I started working right after graduating - for the first time in years I didn’t have some paper or test hovering out in the future and I could just veg when the workday was over.

Of course, nine months later I was back in school.

Congratulations Fionn!

I know how you feel Fionn. This morning I took my last final. I graduate on Saturday. I’m not completely finished until August though. It just won’t be school. I’m interning as a part of finishing up my BSW. It is still the weirdiest feeling to be finished with classes after being in school since I was 4. Good luck, Fionn!!!

I know how you feel. I realized a few weeks ago that I’ve been on this planet for 22 years, and I’ve spent 18 of them in school. On the one hand it’ll be nice to see what living in the real world is like, but on the other hand I don’t wanna, don’t wanna, don’t wanna leave.

I graduate on the 25th. My entire life afterwards is a big question mark and I’m terrified. Grad school is a probably-eventually-someday thing, but until then I got nothin’. :frowning:

I’ve just finished my first full year of college. I took lots of years off while my kids were little, had my share of shit jobs just to make ends meet, etc,etc. I tell you what…if I could just stay in school the rest of my life I think I’d die happy. The hassle of studying for finals, doing homework and what ever other B.S. comes my way is so much less stressful than trying to meet morgages, buy grocieries when thereis only 100.00 left for two weeks and it has to feed 5 people. If it was only myself I had to worry about when money was tight, it would be no biggie, but when all three kids need glasses, school fees are due and shoes are out grown every month, college final are a piece of cake.

This morning, I handed in the last nonscientific paper I’ll ever write. I have two nearly irrelevant finals next week, and then I graduate. I’m very depressed by this, even though I know that I’ll be starting grad school in the fall. Grad school will be very different, pretty much like working after the first year (I’ll be in a doctoral program in cell biology), and it scares me, even though it’s all I’ve ever wanted to do. I’ve loved college, and will miss it terribly.

I can’t imagine how graduates who don’t have a job or other definite plans are even functioning at this point. I’d be an absolute wreck.

I was so scared by the prospect of graduating college that on my college graduation day, I registered for these message boards. :smiley: Frankly, I miss school already, but I don’t want to go back into a graduate program until I’m absolutely certain what I want to do.

Damn you people…I still got finals next week…2 finals and 2 papers due…It’s gonna be a real interesting weekend…I could’ve graduated this year but I dunno…I have no idea what I want to do after I graduate so I’m just taking my sweet ass time…plus, I’m going to go for an internship at disney world next semester (fall) so I guess that’s more time in college…ugh, I have college…FINALS SUCK!!

My college graduation was on a Saturday morning. I did not go to it. I was busy getting ready for my wedding.

Which was 24 hours later. :frowning:

Well, I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Have fun these next few months or however long you take to screw around, maybe do some traveling, then best of luck with the GRE. Find that perfect gradschool, and go on to greatness, I know you’ll do well. :slight_smile:

And cogratulations to everyone else who’s graduated. Take some time off, relax, and best of luck to you all.

Kudos, Fionn! I know you’ve been stressing out a lot over the past month or so, but it’s finally over. Take some time, decompress, see friends you haven’t been able to see in a while (hint hint :slight_smile: )- basically, relax. The job market’s not too bad right now, so you really shouldn’t have much trouble finding something to keep you busy 'til you can put that degree to work for you.

Just whatever you do, don’t leave town. Some of us like having you here. :slight_smile: