Tim "Left Behind" LaHaye strikes again!

Okay!
It was a dark and stormy apocalypse…

Nah. The combination of books makes it pretty obvious that you’re studying for a career as a Fundie dominatrix who specializes in punishing Jewish men

No no no, she’s studying for a career as an operating thetan Fundie dominatrix who specializes in punishing Jewish men!

I borrowed the first LB book, and couldn’t get halfway through it. The writing was just horrible, and I resent the tyranny of that brand of eschatology in the evangelical church. It’s assumed that you believe that interpretation, when it’s maybe the least clear thing in the Bible.

I used to work at a very large bookstore in the Twin Cities. On Saturday mornings, I was stuck working at the mall entrance cash registers, which were always pretty much dead until about noon. So, to pass the time, I would often browse the books on display behind the cashwrap. Sadly, because these registers were next to the religion section, the books on display were almost always the Left Behind series. Still, I made it through a bunch of them before I got to the point where the questionable theology and poor writing made me gag (as opposed to just making me laugh).

One night working back there, a couple of guys came up with a book to buy. As I was ringing it up, one of them noticed a display of Billy Graham’s biography, and decided to pick that up too. I was putting their books in a bag when one of them laughed, “Bet you haven’t seen those two titles together before.” I hadn’t really noticed their other book.

The other book they bought was “The Homo Handbook,” by Judy Carter. We all had a good laugh about that.