I was listening to Africa by Toto a little while ago with my father, and he turned to me and said something like: “What kind of songwriting is this? ‘I guess it rains down in Africa’?” Well actually, Dad, it’s “I bless the rains down in Africa”.
[QUOTE=Enola Straight]
I always heard "No Darkstar Chasm ", some unknown reference to a Sci-Fi/Fantasy adventure?
Also, Peter Gabriel’s…uh…song with the line “Games without frontiers, war without tears” had a line in french which sounds like
"She’s so punctual "
[/QUOTE]
The song is “Games without Frontiers”. The line is “Jeux sans frontiers”, which is French for “Games without Frontiers”. (You may have known that, but 'twasn’t clear.)
I wonder, just by what you’ve said, if it might be “spiders inside of me”?
[/QUOTE]
Apparently it’s “battles inside of me.” But the best thing about misheard lyrics is that they’re yours. “Spiders in sodomy” is definitely going into one of my works of fiction
I too thought Elton John was imploring Tony Danza to hold him closer.
Massive Attack’s “Man Next Door” He gets in so late at night,
Always a fuss and fight,
always a fuss and fight,
All through the night."
Which, for a couple years, I couldn’t help but hear as: “He gets in so late at night,
Always a huffing farts,
Always a huffing farts,
All throught the night.”
I’d heard of such things being done to people, but I never heard of it being self inflicted…
I always heard John Fogerty saying “You don’t need a pinhead” in “Down on the Corner.”
I also heard the first few lines of “Edge of Seventeen” as:
Just like a wand’ring girl
Sings the songs that I’ve been singin’
My sisters and I had Madonna’s Like a Virgin album when it was first released, and we listened to it over and over again. Our neighbor Elisa used to sing the chorus of “Dress You Up” as “gonna dress you up in nylons.” I knew it was “gonna dress you up in my love” but never told her. Of course, for several years I heard the line:
All your suits are custom-made in London
as
All your suits are custom-made and laundered
I pictured Madonna as having a boyfriend so wealthy he could afford to hire someone just to wash his suits for him without ruining them. (I was very ignorant of the dry-cleaning process at age 13) :o
Mr. Lucky still teases me for singing The Lovin’ Spoonful’s “Nashville Cats” as “Let’s Build Cats” :smack:
[QUOTE=Enola Straight]
Also, Peter Gabriel’s…uh…song with the line “Games without frontiers, war without tears” had a line in french which sounds like
"She’s so punctual "
[/QUOTE]
I have always heard it as “She’s so POPular.” Even knowing that it’s something else in French, it still sounds like this to me.
While singing along with the Oakridge Boys’ Come on In :
“Come on In, Baby take your clothes off.”
Should be, “Baby take your coat off.”
A bunch of these misheard lyrics were on the series Dharma and Greg. Greg was always singing the wrong words and Dharma having to correct him. They were hilarious.
“I want to rock and roll all night and part of every day.”
“I can see clearly now the rain must fall. I can see all popsicles in my way.”
I was regulary puzzled about the nature of a T.V. programme on the screen listings for cable called "Goats on Sunday"until Ihad a closer look ,realised the mis reading and that it was actually a programme about soccer scores.My old Mum always said my eyesight would go if I didn`t stop "doing it "!
Also, Peter Gabriel’s…uh…song with the line “Games without frontiers, war without tears” had a line in french which sounds like
"She’s so punctual "
[/QUOTE]
That’s what I thought it was until I read the lyrics.