Tipping Dog Groomer?

For those that have their dogs groomed by a pro, do you tip them when the job is finished? What about for a very simple job like a dog bath and nail trim?

I took one of my dogs (<50 pounds) for a simple bath and nail trim - no grooming needed. They did a fine job and charged me $30. I tipped them $5. Was that appropriate? Too little/too much?

My late best friend Blackjack insisted that I tip the groomer.

Seriously? This is in GQ?

I summon our local canine coiffeur @k9bfriender to explain how the protocol works.

(Haven’t tried summoning before, not sure I did it right.)

I meant to put this in IMHO. Mea culpa.

Moved from GQ to IMHO.

It seems 20% is an acceptable amount to tip a dog groomer. I have been to a few different ones in different cities and they usually have a Square card reader or something similar with 15%, 18%, and 20% tip options when you pay.

But does tipping apply when the groomer is the owner of the shop? A groomer rents an area where my dog goes to doggy daycare once a week. I had her trim his nails yesterday. It was $10. I only had a $20 bill with me. The day care owner brought it to the groomer for me so I wouldn’t have to drag the dog back in there. She came back with $10 change. She never asked me if I wanted to tip the groomer, so I assumed it wasn’t necessary. I don’t tip the day care owner either.

Hell if I know. I’ve been doing this for a bit over 8 years now, and I still don’t know what the protocol is. :slight_smile:

I always tell clients that if we have exceeded their expectations, then they are more than welcome to leave a tip to show their appreciation for the service.

In reality, I’m the only one who really knows how much any individual tips. So, all dogs are taken care of the same way, regardless of the owner’s generosity.

Some leave no tip, some tip 10, 15, or 20%. Some tip a flat $5 or 10. Some tip more than that. I have a particular client that comes in once a month to get a bath for their Boston Terrier for $34, and leaves a $20 tip on top of that.

I’d say the most common is 10%, but that’s also the default on the credit card machine, so there may be bias there.

I just ran an alltime report, from the day we opened till today, and tips come to 11.23% of sales.

As to the OP, that seems a pretty reasonable tip.

When I had a dog to be groomed, I did tip. I also tip when my hair is done.

Cheap at the price, IMHO. Washing the one Boston Terrier I’m personally acquainted with is a combination of a greased-pig-catching contest and a poorly-staged version of the last scene of Hamlet, with a reproachful big-eyed guilt trip to add insult to injury.

A bath and grooming for one of our border collies usually runs around $60-$70. I generally tip $15 or $20. If the dog is really dirty or otherwise more difficult fhan usual, I’ll tip a little more.

For me it’s not about percentages, but rather time spent vs wage. For example, my haircut needs are simple, and I usually just go to a local barber who charges around 15-$20. I know they are getting minimum wage or below, so if it takes half an hour I’ll actually tip as much as the cut, or $15. If the person does a rush job or I don’t much like the result, it might be $5.

If I go to a hair salon and they spend the same amount of time and charge me $60, the tip doesn’t change. So in the first case I might tip 100%, and in the second maybe 20%, but the amount of tip per hour dossn’t change.

Likewise, back in the day my friends and I were known to frequent coffee houses for hours at a time, with the waitress having to serve us free refills all that time. So I’d get a bill for $5 for coffee, and leave a $20 tip to represent the fact that she had to do as much work for us as she would have if we’d have ordered a complete meal. If I was with a cheapskate who tried to tip 15% of a $5 bill after tying up a table for four hours, I’d tip even more to make up for it. And I’d stop inviting that person to our coffee and gab session unless they ponied up properly.

Instead of fixed percentages, use the golden rule. Put yourself in the other person’s shoes and think about what’s reasonable for the specific situation. Did you make them do extra work? Did they go the extra mile on their own?

This is where I like to do charity as well. If I see someone working hard for low pay, I’m much more likely to give them a really large tip. I can afford it, and they are struggling yet trying their best. I prefer to help people that way rather than give donations to large NGO’s where I have no control how it’s spent and who gers it.

I bathed our three dogs last weekend. Afterwards, I thought about taking them to a groomer next time. But I always think about that when I’m done.

The groomer my wife and I use for our dog and cat is not tipped after each appointment. We give her a very generous gift card every year at Christmas outside of the business that employs her. She is required to report all cash tips and along with the tips given when folks pay, taxes are withheld from the tips. There are no requirements to report any “gifts” she receives outside of the business.

Also means that her employer doesn’t have to pay their share of the payroll taxes on that income she received, so they won’t mind at all.

Downside of course, is that it isn’t counted as income when it comes to credit, like if she wants to buy a car or a house. It also doesn’t get counted, and her employer doesn’t match, as a contribution to her social security account, nor towards any sort of 401k or IRA they may have set up.

As long as it doesn’t catch on and become too widespread, she probably won’t be audited, and get away with that form of tax evasion.

I’d normally tip 15-20%… but once in a while, along comes a “special” dog. For one of our dogs, we tipped 30%.

The dogs were twin brothers, and one was super chill (“Hey, I don’t know this groomer, but she seems nice, I’ll trust her. Stand here? Stay still? Cool…”)

But his twin never did understand where he is, who that woman with the clippers is and what IS that buzzing machine omigod it’s going to get me I know I’ll leap off this table but I’m leashed what’s a leash I don’t get any of thiiiiiissss…!

I had a friend who did/does body piercing for a living. She started out working in a tattoo shop, but soon established a clientele and reputation so she began working out of her apartment.

For a decade she kept busy and never claimed a penny of her purely cash business. Buying a car wasn’t a problem, she just paid cash.

When she decided to buy a house was when the shit hit the fan. Getting a mortgage without any proof of income other than a large bank account is difficult. As I understand her maneuvering, she had her mother “buy” the house and she gave her mom cash to cover each step.

Thought I already replied to this thread, too much booze I guess.

When I had my American Eskimo, grooming was about $50. When I found a groomer who understood what I wanted and did it beautifully, I tipped her $50 every time. On her birthday and Xmas she got $50 also. Totally worth it, she was great.

I don’t get when people do this. They only hurt themselves on social security. Most people collect more SS than they pay in.

I think you guys are misreading the OP. They are specifically asking if the protocol is different when someone is the owner. There’s an old rule that tipping is for employees, not owners: if the owner of a bar serves your drink, it’s insulting to offer a tip: owner is of equal status.

It’s a very old rule that has mostly dropped away, I think. And was always hard to apply to owner operators of things like salon stations. And at my groomers, at least, tips are pooled, anyway.

So I would tip, but honor any refusal right away. No pushing.

I didn’t see them say anything about that. What did they say that gave you that impression?

The first I see about owners is in post #7, and that was not by the OP.

I really never got that. A tip is for service that exceeds the value you feel that you paid for.

When we were just starting out, and the only people working here were owners, we absolutely took tips. It was a bit of a transition as we gained employees, but now all tips go to them.

Technically, I receive all tips, as I am the point of contact for all my clients. They are then pooled and distributed fairly.

The groomers themselves don’t actually know what clients tip or how much. I have found that in the commission/direct tip model, groomers fight eachother over what dogs give more value for their time.

I do know, and it does make a bit of a difference as it comes to scheduling priority. When I’m fully booked out for nearly four weeks like I am now, that can make a big difference in how soon you get your dog in. I’ve got 23 names on my cancelation list, and while there is a bit of first come first served, there is also a consideration in how much I like you. (Though, I actually will take a low/no tipper who is reliable over a good tipper who tends to cancel last minute or no show.)

[Mea culpa. I was responding to this, not the OP.

It makes sense if Bob the bar owner is worth more than you (prosperous business owner), and you are tipping him a fiver like he’s a servant.

It’s never made sense, IMO, for small owner operator set ups, like someone renting a booth.