Tipping in a cashless society.

In the UK, unless you’re paying cash the card payment is handled online. The drivers don’t have a POS. And even if they did it’s extremely rare here to see a POS that’s set up to process tips.
When I have food delivered the driver would have turned around and gone by the time I stuck my hand in my pocket to fish out some change.

Yes, not impossible, just annoying and possibly requiring multiple steps for a truly cashless person, e.g. get a $20 from the ATM and break it at the store the next time they have a price that will give them a good amount of change back, etc.

I typically give a straight $5 for delivery, no matter what the bill is. Unlike a server, who may have to make many trips to the table for refills, various courses, etc., I view a delivery driver as kind of performing the same set of tasks no matter how much I order. So I feel comfortable with a “flat fee” tip.

In answer to the question a couple of folks raised above, I can’t think of any place I order from these days that doesn’t have the ability to tip either online or by filling in the tip on the receipt. I never think about keeping cash in the house, and I rarely have cash on me. So yes, there have been a very small number of embarrassing occasions where we’ve had to scrounge up quarters for tips because we had nothing else on hand.

If I’m going to all that trouble, I’ll just eat while I’m out and about.

In the US? Yes, yes it is that hard due to longstanding customs and some stupid societal crap.

Speaking as a cashier in a grocery store… when people ask for cash back on a purchase I am perfectly happy to take requests - you want that $20 in singles? No problem (assuming I have that many in singles, which I almost always do). Want a ten, a five, four singles and four quarters? OK.

And if you’re not certain what “cash back” means - when you make a purchase using a debit card you ask for $20 over the price to be dispensed as change.

Of course, that means you have to be shopping in person. If you’re the sort that uses a shopping service that might make things more difficult for you.

It is my business, literally, and I’m likely to order a pizza to be delivered to me there at some point. I don’t want the delivery drivers to argue over who drives to “that place that doesn’t tip”.

Are you able to think ahead? As in, next time you go to the store, re-up on some cash for those days you’re feeling lazy and want to order in?

Naah, phone-to-phone payments or QR-scanning phone payment services are the way forward.

Moonlight as a stripper.

I work in a location with lots of buskers in the summertime. This year a lot of them were collecting tips using a card reader attached to their phone or by some phone to phone method. I’d never seen that before, but it seems to have exploded all of a sudden.

I suspect a lot more tip income is going to show up on tax returns. The wait-staff at my favorite breakfast place were griping that 20% is equivalent to 15% because of this.

Yeah, the main problem with including the tip on the receipt - I’ve faced similar conundrums - is that it gets tracked and reported to the IRS as income. Cash tips are - sometimes, occasionally, possibly - not reported at all.

I tip cash even if I pay with a card. Just sayin.

I do, too. Too many places rip off the servers. Cash also makes it easier for them overreport their income to kick in a little extra on tax day like we all do.

I cannot undertand the ‘I don’t and won’t carry cash’ position. And to not have a couple of bucks at home?!? And to anticipate wishing they had some cash as in the OP? For god’s sake, please don’t tell the poor driver ‘LOL! I’d tip you but no cash! Funny, huh?’

I’ve ranted here before about how I consider it borderline irresponsible for most people to not carry some cash.

My point exactly! Couldn’t agree more.

I just don’t understand not carrying cash. I still use it plenty. Our cleaning couple for example, $100 every couple weeks. Do they report it? Damfino. My doctor when he has to fill out a form (once you pass 80 you need your doctor’s evaluation every two years for a driver’s licence), as well as my optometrist (same reason), a small restaurant I go to that has a sign asking to please pay cash (although they do take plastic). I use at least $100 a week in cash.

It’s absolutely ridiculous the notion that we should have to carry cash around when we have a valid credit card. That’s a major reason why I have a credit card, so I don’t have to deal with the hassles of cash (or checks). I carry cash about once a year to visit the State Fair, and it irritates me that the food stands there can’t take credit cards. Beyond that I refuse to patronize cash only establishments because in today’s day in age I shouldn’t have to be made to deal with cash.

Just put the tip on your card and be done with it. On the off chance the manager cheats the employees, it’s not your responsibility. Nor is it your responsibility to enable tax fraud by allowing tipped employees to hide income.

It sounds like you’re really disturbed by cash. If you have some you’d like to get rid of, I’ll take it.

Maybe I can provide a little context for our American friends:

• Just about every shop and service has card facilities, pretty much always allowing contactless payment. Quick and convenient, tap your card and go. This includes things like parking facilities, etc. There’s still a few Mom and Pop establishments that are cash only, but they’re getting increasingly rare.
    -Tipping is not a thing. Nobody expects one, nobody is reliant on them.*

So, why should I carry cash? I can tap my card/phone/watch to the machine, and be done, in no more time then it takes me to pay cash, and often less. About the only time I get cash is when I go to a fish shop - and the one I go to has an ATM right across the street.

Now, the last time I was in the States, I noticed that the card infrastructure was woefully behind Australia’s, but here there’s simply no reason to carry cash unless you frequent strippers, street musicians, or (a very few) small family shops.

*Partial exception - street musicians, as I noted above. Possible exception - strippers. I just don’t know about them; I haven’t been to an Australian strip club.

I pay my kid’s allowance in cash. How do people in a cashless society do it? He’s too little to have an account.