Tips for dial-up internet use

Apparently not. I thought I would, but the cable company pulled out of town so there isn’t a service I could hook onto. Its just Verizon or nada.

There is some line of sight beamed internet, but the equipment is 200 bucks, and everyone says its super slow. Its also about 80 bucks a month, and you have to contract it out.

:mad:

I thought about doing it through Verizon wireless as they have the best signal in the area, but the signal fades at night and thats when I do my home computer use…

You aren’t necessarily limited to the crappy signal you might get from a small antenna in your cell phone - if you can get EVDO service in your area at all you can buy larger/better antennas to hook into your cellular modem - ie something like this - 5Gstore.com, 4G/5G Routers, Antennas, Boosters, WiFi, IP Switches

I would say if you can get EVDO in your home at any time you should be able to get it all the time when you get the right antenna & positioning.

Get K-Meleon and use it as your browser.

It uses the same engine as Firefox does, but K-Meleon rocks. It’s a must for dial up. I had dial up for a long time and I didn’t mind it since I don’t download. But of course you can’t watch YouTube and such.

If you just read the Intenet you can get by on dial up, which is pretty much all I do.

But do get and install K-Meleon, it’s very lightweight and it’ll help your surfin’

You are literally dealing with a lightspeed delay when using satellite internet. It’s about 250 milliseconds, and then of course there is additional network delay.

All I can say about dialup is make sure to minimize the demands on your bandwidth as much as possible and try to use the low-speed options whenever possible.