Titanic tourist submarine missing 6-19-2023 (Debris field found, passengers presumed dead. 06-22-23)

Maybe we should have this thread titled as: “Titanic, Just don’t do it”?

I hope they do make it, the sub should have enough oxygen and supplies for 3 days AFAIK.

Indeed.

I was just reading this article. What a stupid idea this whole operation is.
I hope they all survive and I hope that this scares everyone off of doing this.

Hoping everyone turns up safe.

If not, maybe another company can commission submersible trips to look at the wreck of the OceanGate submersible, though it’s doubtful tourists will pay $100,000-$250,000 for the experience.

You would have to pay me a substantial multiple of that ticket price, in advance, to get me to even think about climbing into that thing.

(Which does not conflict with my sincere hope that the vehicle is found and the people rescued unharmed.)

Even if the sub is intact but disabled on the ocean floor and everyone is alive inside, how could you get it back up? As far as I know, subs that can reach that depth are very specialized and there aren’t very many of them.

I think they went overboard with the whole “So close to real you almost can’t tell” routine.

One possibility, as an expert said in the live update, is that the sub lost power and ballast was released to have the sub go to the surface, that could take a while and the sub could be on the surface. With no communications, but with the crew alive and waiting for rescue.

On the other hand… I read that this sub was considered experimental. Can anyone confirm that? If that was the case, there is a lot of blame and curses to direct to the organizers.

Surely they’d have one of those locator beacons onboard?

This sounds like a big story. What a nightmare.

Right up there with tourists going to the moon.

This is an example of the expression ‘Worse things happen at sea.’

Uh-oh. Oh no…

Seems like a small story but a nightmare for those onboard and their families.

This is a silly little tourist sub.

Or summiting Everest.

I suppose it would depend on what exactly happened. Might not have been time to have much cause for concern or worry, let alone nightmare.

Or, hey, maybe they’re still alive down there, in abject terror of what’s to come. TBD.

In that case, there are at least Sherpas to carry you back down.

Are their standards for submersible hatches to fit rescue craft?

My knowledge is probably out of date, but no, there wasn’t.

There was a segment about the sub on the “CBS Sunday Morning” show last year:

The reporter got to see the Titanic, but it was on the 3rd try. The first was aborted because some floats came detached from the launch platform. The second trip made it to the bottom, but there was a communication problem and the sub was in the wrong location.

Hamish Harding, billionaire entrepreneur and explorer, is confirmed to have been on board. There are two other names out there that seem likely, but as of yet unconfirmed…

All of them have some technical exploration experience it seems, but that’s pretty meaningless when you jump into a submersible, unless you’re in control of it.